User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 45

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7
    Posts
    39

    Default Which types are most likely to acquire eating disorders?

    Yes, which ones.

  2. #2
    A Benign Tumor PoprocksAndCoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Socionics
    ENFp
    Posts
    614

    Default

    Probably Exxx - Introverts are less concerned with their image.
    "In order for the light to shine so brightly, the darkness must be present." -Francis Bacon

    "No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." -George Chakiris

  3. #3
    Freshman Member simulatedworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    5,554

    Default

    I'm gonna go with ESxP.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

  4. #4
    brainheart
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PoprocksAndCoke View Post
    Probably Exxx - Introverts are less concerned with their image.
    Shows how little you know about both introverts and eating disorders, no offense or anything.

    Party bulimics, those that do it because their friends do, sure chances are they'll be extroverts.

    Introverts can be plenty concerned about their image. It's how they convey themselves without talking. Also, look good and chances are the boy will come up to talk to you vs you having to instigate it.

    Typically, however, eating disorders have little to do with trying to make yourself look good but more with loss of control and regaining control. For example, if you are someone with undiagnosed mental health issues- let's say bipolar because your moods are often fluctuating for what seems to be no apparent reason- and you feel like there's so little about you that you have power over, well, not eating is a good way to exert control over yourself. Not to mention, not eating can give you a sort of feel-good buzz, like you get after lots of exercise.

    I think this is another reason introverts may be more susceptible to eating disorders. Often introverts have a hard time expressing their pain or needs or desires out loud so their problems can often go unsolved. Or they tend to try and solve their problems on their own by self-medicating with drugs, food (or with-holding food), cutting, etc.

    I don't know what types are most likely to get eating disorders- if there is any sort of correlation whatsoever-but I do know that most of the INFPs I have known have had issues with it at some point in their life, myself included, pretty much as a result of depression.

  5. #5
    A Benign Tumor PoprocksAndCoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Socionics
    ENFp
    Posts
    614

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brainheart View Post
    Shows how little you know about both introverts and eating disorders, no offense or anything.

    Party bulimics, those that do it because their friends do, sure chances are they'll be extroverts.

    Introverts can be plenty concerned about their image. It's how they convey themselves without talking. Also, look good and chances are the boy will come up to talk to you vs you having to instigate it.

    Typically, however, eating disorders have little to do with trying to make yourself look good but more with loss of control and regaining control. For example, if you are someone with undiagnosed mental health issues- let's say bipolar because your moods are often fluctuating for what seems to be no apparent reason- and you feel like there's so little about you that you have power over, well, not eating is a good way to exert control over yourself. Not to mention, not eating can give you a sort of feel-good buzz, like you get after lots of exercise.

    I think this is another reason introverts may be more susceptible to eating disorders. Often introverts have a hard time expressing their pain or needs or desires out loud so their problems can often not be solved. Or they tend to try and solve their problems on their own by self-medicating with drugs, food (or with-holding food), cutting, etc.

    I don't know what types are most likely to get eating disorders- if there is any sort of correlation whatsoever-but I do know that most of the INFPs I have known have had issues with it at some point in their life, myself included, pretty much as a result of depression.
    Again, maybe bad wording on my part. I meant Extraverts are more susceptible to becoming obsessed with their image to others. I'm just theorizing. I won't claim to be an expert on eating disorders. I'm trying to give an opinion. I know a lot about Introverts, by the way - I used to be one for a while. I'm actually not that much higher in extravert percentage than introvert. I know introverts care about their image - I'm not stupid.
    "In order for the light to shine so brightly, the darkness must be present." -Francis Bacon

    "No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." -George Chakiris

  6. #6
    violaine
    Guest

    Default

    Don't know about most likely but INJs are definitely candidates... Eating disorders can often stem from issues around control which INJs can have in spades. People develop EDs for various reasons but wanting to assert control is a biggie.

  7. #7
    brainheart
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PoprocksAndCoke View Post
    Again, maybe bad wording on my part. I meant Extraverts are more susceptible to becoming obsessed with their image to others. I'm just theorizing. I won't claim to be an expert on eating disorders. I'm trying to give an opinion. I know a lot about Introverts, by the way - I used to be one for a while. I'm actually not that much higher in extravert percentage than introvert. I know introverts care about their image - I'm not stupid.
    Don't think you're stupid. I suppose I was too gruff. Just laying out my opinion... What makes you think you are an extrovert vs an introvert now? I'm just asking because I think I read somewhere that you're young and I guess you could maybe think I was extroverted as all get out when I was in my late teens, but that was just a brief spell of sociability.

  8. #8
    A Benign Tumor PoprocksAndCoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Socionics
    ENFp
    Posts
    614

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brainheart View Post
    Don't think you're stupid. I suppose I was too gruff. Just laying out my opinion... What makes you think you are an extrovert vs an introvert now? I'm just asking because I think I read somewhere that you're young and I guess you could maybe think I was extroverted as all get out when I was in my late teens, but that was just a brief spell of sociability.
    I was introverted when I was twelve. Or maybe I was just mistyped. Either way I was very quiet and drained by interaction, but now I'm energized by it.

    Edit: Never realized this was my 200th post! *Congratulates self*
    "In order for the light to shine so brightly, the darkness must be present." -Francis Bacon

    "No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." -George Chakiris

  9. #9
    Freshman Member simulatedworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    5,554

    Default

    I guess ESPs are more likely to develop disorders like obesity simply from inability to control impulses.

    But the stuff about INJs and control issues--that's interesting. Can anybody expound on that?
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

  10. #10
    (blankpages) Xenon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5
    Posts
    836

    Default

    I read in 'Type Talk' that NFPs were particularly susceptible (both E and I). I don't think E/I has much to do with it. As others have pointed out, they're a mask for something else at the core, not all that much about looking good.

Similar Threads

  1. [MBTItm] which type is most likely to buy and eat food they hate because...
    By slylingual in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-02-2016, 12:47 PM
  2. Bad drivers? Which types are most likely to be ... ?!
    By KatharineML in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 03-30-2015, 01:32 AM
  3. [MBTItm] Which types are most likely to nag?
    By Soar337 in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 02-20-2011, 07:58 PM
  4. [MBTItm] which type is most likely to refuse taking the MBTI test?
    By Drezoryx in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 05-17-2010, 12:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO