User Tag List

First 12345 Last

I'm too busy doing stuff to become overweight and food seems to be an afterthought. I'm not sure I'm routine enough to have an eating disorder either. I'd forget to overeat or find the idea of having to shop for and cook it all too tedious.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    I guess ESPs are more likely to develop disorders like obesity simply from inability to control impulses.

But the stuff about INJs and control issues--that's interesting. Can anybody expound on that?
    Anorexia is fundamentally about control. It is a horrific mind game that they play with themselves to see how little they can eat. They get a high off of the sense of self-control. So, I can see where INJs would be likely to suffer from anorexia, specifically.

I don't know that a certain type would be more prone to eating disorders in general, but each type might be more prone to a particular form of eating disorder than another.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

I don't think anorexics and bulimics get high off a sense of control. I think they get high off endorphins and serotonin.

Anorexics are addicted to fasting, and bulimics to throwing up, because of the chemical changes it causes in the brain. Maybe image-conscious ESFXs are most likely to start, but after a while it doesn't become just about weight control, it's about a chemical addiction. This would also explain why some go to such extreme levels.

I don't know, I think this makes the most sense.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    I don't think anorexics and bulimics get high off a sense of control. I think they get high off endorphins and serotonin.

Anorexics are addicted to fasting, and bulimics to throwing up, because of the chemical changes it causes in the brain. Maybe image-conscious ESFXs are most likely to start, but after a while it doesn't become just about weight control, it's about a chemical addiction. This would also explain why some go to such extreme levels.

I don't know, I think this makes the most sense.

Oh yes, it may not apply to every single person with this eating disorder of course, but anorexics do get high off of a sense of self-control. Have you never read case studies, journals, or other personal stories written about the experience of being anorexic?

Sure, there are chemical components. But there are also purely psychological motivations.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

I'd say INxx. Anorexia stems from a feeling of a lack of control over themselves, and their own lives. It is not about an image, it is a mental illness. Not eating is something that gives them that necessary feeling of being in control.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Oh yes, it may not apply to every single person with this eating disorder of course, but anorexics do get high off of a sense of self-control. Have you never read case studies, journals, or other personal stories written about the experience of being anorexic?

Sure, there are chemical components. But there are also purely psychological motivations.
    When you're getting off on something, isn't that always because of feel-good reward chemicals? The self-control might be synonymous with that psychological mechanism in this case. They're feeling good because of the endorphins, and the self-control of fasting or purging is almost like the method of drug administration.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

It's not just the 'highs' that keep them locked in their behaviours though. Many sufferers describe feeling terror and/or self-loathing when they try to resume more normal eating. So they get the endorphin high when they indulge in their behaviours and feel terrible when they don't.

The psychological associations they have with thinness also contribute to the high (feeling "light" , or needless, or in control or strong).

I've read a few personal stories, and it seems to be a common theme that they started out feeling terrific at first, then felt compelled to continue the behaviours even though they weren't making them feel good anymore.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by YourLocalJesus View Post
    Could be right... But it (eating disorders) also seems so very illogical, which would point in the direction of F.
    Jesus...

MBTI
    ENTP
    Socionics
    ENFp

^That was my reaction.
    "In order for the light to shine so brightly, the darkness must be present." -Francis Bacon

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." -George Chakiris

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

I saw some documentary and anorexia has a lot to do with serotonin levels in the brains. Many anorexics have it at higher levels than normal, and eating releases serotonin, so instead of feeling happy after eating like msot people, they feel anxious after they eat. When they don't eat, the serotonin level drops to a more comfortable place.

There's a lot of evidence suggesting this is genetic, but I think mothers may also pass down their food hang-ups in raising their children. In every woman I've known well who was/is anorexic, I've noticed that her mother was militant about watching her own weight.

An ESFP friend of mine who used to be anorexic and still struggles with food issues used to describe it that way - eating made her extremely anxious. It had less to do with being thin than keeping her anxiety in check and having a certain amount of control. She was also OCD, and supposedly many anorexics are OCD also (from the same documentary).

When it comes to men, I've known a few INTPs who had eating disorders.
    I could see NF perfectionism leading to an eating disorder also. I don't think you could name a type more prone to it though, especially if it has more to do with stuff like serotonin levels and OCD.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe