• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

John Beebe on the Archetypes

Wonkavision

Retired Member
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
About John Beebe (from Wikipedia):

John Beebe, M.D., (born June 24, 1939, in Washington, DC) is a Jungian analyst in practice in San Francisco. He received degrees from Harvard College and the University of Chicago medical school. He is a past President of the C.G. Jung Institute of San Francisco, where he is currently on the teaching faculty, as well as Assistant Clinical Professor of Psychiatry at the University of California Medical School, San Francisco. He is a Distinguished Fellow of the American Psychiatric Association .

A brief introduction to his ideas:

Video: Dr. John Beebe introduces his October 2008 workshop on the archetypes

An article by Dr. Beebe, expounding on the archetypes, and how he personally developed his ideas:

http://www.ccc-apt.org/system/files/Beebe+-+Evolving+the+8-function+model+APT.pdf

In this article, Beebe explains why he believes the "four functions are only half the story of how consciousness arranges itself," and why he does not regard the type profile as a rigid hierarchy of differentiation of the functions.

---What do you think of his approach/style/terminology?

---Do you find his explanations helpful?

---What about his diagrams?

---How does your view compare/contrast with Beebe's?

---And do you have links to any other relevant info?

Anything you can share would be appreciated. :)

sculpting

hey tcda-

This is something I have been fascinated in for awhile.
For me it is VERY real.

As an NeFiTeSi ENFP, my Beebe shadow would be NiFeTiSe INFJ.
It is most noticable as extreme introversion and withdraw-Ni and building a massive wall to emotional protect myself-Fe. This wall is like the "INFJ doorslam"-but on the entire world.

How do I get here?
If someone hurts me very much emotionally I end up here. Also when others around me are in pain-I mirror their pain with Fi and it can be very overwhelming. I cant process the overwhelming emotion fast enough, so it is like i undergo a total shutdown. This triggers a weird defensive mechanism. I can feel my entire mind retreat inside and hide in a shell or sorts. All feeling and pain is quenched. It isnt a Tert Te/inf Si defense (Thats a bitchslap). Instead I have no desire to interact with others. I actually totally loose the need to seek their affirmation in anyway. I will go to work and take down all the decorations in my office-the things that externalize my identity. I will cut ties with other people. I reject them before they can reject me.

I will typically spend about 1.5 days in this shadow space, in contemplation, then reemerge through a cycle of anger (TeSi) then work through the event that triggered the pain (Fi).

I can now recognize this happening, and minimize the external effects, -before understanding the Beebe shadows I didnt have a structural model to understand why I did this. Now with a structure I can choose logically how i want to respond, rather than just react.

In others:
Many ENTPs here and IRL have told me they felt like unhealthy INTJs during their late teens/early twenties. Most noticable was the shadow Te from their descriptions. I have seen a 44 yo ENTP in a shadow INTJ state. I thought he was an INTJ, but I could not find his Fi. He also took the normal INTJ stuff that can be a little annoying-like being a bit pedantic-but multiplied it by ten-then spewed Ti. In the evenings he is an alcoholic and cheats on his SO and is the craziest Ne user I have ever seen.

I have also recently met a few INTJs who note a shadow ENTP-but it just seems like the Ne is problematic-they get kinda paranoid.

(There is a trend for the highest extroverted function to be the most obvious???)

Using Healthily?:

I am also able to now tap and use a very weak NiFe in a healthy way-but it IS WEIRD and it is almost like becoming a different person to do this. It is painful as I have to let go of the tight Fi values. It feels WRONG. Like turning myself inside out.

Ni is there too,alone seemingly dependent upon my hormone levels, weak granted, but will give me really strange insights. i have also met several INTJs who seem to be able to tap into Ne as well, again weak compared to mine.

But yeah lots more to understand here, so just my thoughts above.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think a mix of Beebe and Lenore Thomson is best and easiest to understand. They clarify and balance each other out.

Before you fan out eight functions (Xy), it's best to go back to the original four functions (S, N, T, F) and the two orientations (i, e). The ego chooses its dominant function and orientation. The others fall into place as an auxiliary is chosen in the opposite orientation, the tertiary is placed in the dominant orientation as the next defense of the dominant attitude, and the inferior also falls into the opposite orientation.
Four complexes align with these: the dominant being "heroic", the aux; "parental", since we use it to help others, and tertiary becomes "childish" because it is the ego's first defense against the opposite orientation, and the inferior is like the deep soul.

Now, for the dominant and tertiary, the opposite orientation is rejected. The Aux and inferior are rejected from the dominant orientation. So these rejected combinations of functions and orientations make up the shadow. And the negative aspects of the four main complexes associate with them, since they were rejected from consciousness. An oppositional negative hero, a critical parent (cranky old man or woman), a tricky bad child, and a demon.

It's all a system of mirroring and paralleling.

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
ok, thankyou for the replies. I can see the model conceptually but am having trouble envisioning it in practice. Does nayone have articles/pictures/videos/"memes" on it like we do ont his forum with regard to the conscious functions?

Jaguar

Let's hope everyone reads it.
Here's a quote from the article:

The second observation is that these function-attitudes, though having typical characteristics that 86 years of type research have repeatedly verified, are not expressed in the same way by every individual who deploys them. There is a normal variation, not only in the strength and reliability of the functions, according to the degree of preference and practice that the individual will bring to the expression of each type of consciousness, but also in the role the individual enters when expressing a particular consciousness.

Something so simple to understand, and yet people still don't realize the FAs are expressed differently - even with those of the same type.
This is why it's reckless to make claims about people's "strengths" and "weaknesses" within an alleged type.
In each type group, the function development can vary to such a degree that the people don't even look alike.
Some people can develop their Aux and Tert to such a degree they can have more strength than their Dom.

Maybe we should start a thread to see if people know what the word 'consciousness' means.
The functions are not "world views," or a "philosophy" as some have claimed in this forum.
Jung had an M.D. and was a psychiatrist. He was not a philosopher.

By the way, I actually disagree with Eric about Thomson.
She makes way too many assertions about types as if they are absolute.
It was the first thing I noticed about her. Her thinking is too rigid for my taste.

There is no one "right way" to do anything. That includes psychological development.
So if a person develops their functions in way that is different from someone else, it doesn't make them "unhealthy" or "unbalanced."
If someone thinks it does, that tells me more about that person's thinking than the person they claim is "unbalanced."

ragashree

Reason vs Being
MBTI Type
Mine
Enneagram
1w9
Something so simple to understand, and yet people still don't realize the FAs are expressed differently - even with those of the same type.
This is why it's reckless to make claims about people's "strengths" and "weaknesses" within an alleged type.

In each type group, the function development can vary to such a degree that the people don't even look alike.
Some people can develop their Aux and Tert to such a degree it can be more reliable for the person than their Dom.
There is no one "right way" to do anything. That includes psychological development.
So if a person develops their functions in way that is different from someone else, it doesn't make them "unhealthy" or "unbalanced."
If someone thinks it does, that tells me more about that person's thinking than the person they claim is "unbalanced."

:yes: Indeed. I do find it wearying sometimes when people insist on trying to make deductions about someone's thinking processes based purely on the theoretical function orientation of their Mbti type. Mbti doesn't tell us a whole lot about relative function strengths in individuals, because it doesn't assess them, it infers them from other information, and this inference is rather weak because it has no basis beyond overall function preference and a somewhat speculative theory of opposites, which need not hold true in any individual case.

There seems to be a tendency for people to get so enthusiastic about the nice, neat, apparently comprehensive theory and the way it arranges the functions that they presume it to have some meaningful predictive capacity and to be capable of providing valid conclusions without the need for further information about the individual. This is simply not true, though I suppose it saves theory fetishists having to actually use their powers of observation, when there exists a convenient. hermetically sealed set of self-validating prejudices they can turn to... ;)

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My feeling is that trying to create a whole shadow type of the "unused" bottom four functions is a wash. I mean, this is just smoke and mirrors, isn't it? A fairly arbitrary system created on mostly a theoretical basis?

I can see where particular functions might be "shadow functions" -- if you are really good at one thing, it's because you spent a lot of energy and focus developing it to the exclusion of its opposite function -- but a whole discernible type? It seems quite the stretch.

For an example, my shadow type here is supposedly ENTJ. I don't see myself as having ENTJ weaknesses any more than any other type, it's very much a Forer effect (IMO). THe big problem? My Te is pathetic. ENTJ type weaknesses revolve around having a too-dominant Te at the exclusion of Feeling-style functions. ENTJ might be considered my "shadow" by Beebe, but I have a pathetic Te and don't prefer it in the least! Therefore any weaknesses that are related to Te in a typical personality will not be manifest by me. What typically happens is that when Ti+Ne fails, I'll try to drop into an F function as a complete "change out" and because I haven't had much practice with it, that's where I can show ill-use of a function... an F function.

I never drop into Te functionality unless F is irrelevant.

Iroincally, the few times I've had to use Te functionality on a personal level, it's actually been positive.
I have not abused it or overused it, I've used it just enough to fix the problem.

The only issues I've seen with Te has been in social situations where I am in a position of authority, where I can try to apply a rule to enforce over the behavior of others but then feel bad about it because I feel like it is not being applied consistently or fairly, or that not all considerations are being taken into account. That's probably the strongest support I can offer for the sort of reasoning shown in this thread... but I do not feel it is very compelling.

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
My feeling is that trying to create a whole shadow type of the "unused" bottom four functions is a wash. I mean, this is just smoke and mirrors, isn't it? A fairly arbitrary system created on mostly a theoretical basis?

I can see where particular functions might be "shadow functions" -- if you are really good at one thing, it's because you spent a lot of energy and focus developing it to the exclusion of its opposite function -- but a whole discernible type? It seems quite the stretch.

For an example, my shadow type here is supposedly ENTJ. I don't see myself as having ENTJ weaknesses any more than any other type, it's very much a Forer effect (IMO). THe big problem? My Te is pathetic. ENTJ type weaknesses revolve around having a too-dominant Te at the exclusion of Feeling-style functions. ENTJ might be considered my "shadow" by Beebe, but I have a pathetic Te and don't prefer it in the least! Therefore any weaknesses that are related to Te in a typical personality will not be manifest by me. What typically happens is that when Ti+Ne fails, I'll try to drop into an F function as a complete "change out" and because I haven't had much practice with it, that's where I can show ill-use of a function... an F function.

Iroincally, the few times I've had to use Te functionality on a personal level, it's actually been positive.
I have not abused it or overused it, I've used it just enough to fix the problem.

The only issues I've seen with Te has been in social situations where I am in a position of authority, where I can try to apply a rule to enforce over the behavior of others but then feel bad about it because I feel like it is not being applied consistently or fairly, or that not all considerations are being taken into account. That's probably the strongest support I can offer for the sort of reasoning shown in this thread... but I do not feel it is very compelling.

I am not saying Beebe's model is necessarilly true, because like oyu I have yet to see how it works in reality (though I am still open as the theory is new to me).

However the highlighted bit wouldn't necessarilly be incompatible, as the "opposing personality" as I understand it would tend to be our most developed shadow function.

Also to be fair to Beebe he doesn't say that he is listing the fucntions in terms of frequency usage, but rather in a more "qualitative" way, i.e. the role we take on when using them. This is what I am still trying to envisage in practice.

Regarding the issue of Thompson, what I always found hard to accept from some of her biggest admirers on the forum, is the idea that the introverted function is a "compeltely different" one to its extraverted coutnerpart. Beebe's idea that a function can express itself in extraverted or introverted "attitudes", and that in doing so it casts a shadow of the opposite atittude, makes much more sense to me.

the other model seems much more arbitrary, i.e. to completely seperate Ti and Te rather than seeing a "unity of opposites", within which one pole "negates" the other (but that's my marxism showing I guess).

Jaguar

:yes: Indeed. I do find it wearying sometimes when people insist on trying to make deductions about someone's thinking processes based purely on the theoretical function orientation of their Mbti type.

And what are they doing in the process? Avoiding looking at themselves.

There seems to be a tendency for people to get so enthusiastic about the nice, neat, apparently comprehensive theory and the way it arranges the functions that they presume it to have some meaningful predictive capacity and to be capable of providing valid conclusions without the need for further information about the individual. This is simply not true, though I suppose it saves theory fetishists having to actually use their powers of observation, when there exists a convenient. hermetically sealed set of self-validating prejudices they can turn to... ;)

It's their way of avoiding what? Intimacy. Depth. Getting to know people on their own.
It tells me they're terrified of not only who they really are, but who others are.
So by having a paint-by-numbers theory they can stand even farther away from people.

There are some unintended consequences that I don't think Myers anticipated all those years ago.
That's unfortunate.

Take you, for example. You don't really think I believe you're like Tater, PeaceBaby or Beefeater do you?
Not on your life. You have your own vibe. It's very distinct to me.
I sure as hell would never be so arrogant as to tell you how you think.

Only you know that, buddy. ;)

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
However the highlighted bit wouldn't necessarilly be incompatible, as the "opposing personality" as I understand it would tend to be our most developed shadow function.

For the record, Te is not my most developed shadow function.
It's near the bottom-bottom-bottom for me... and it took a literal "do it or die" life circumstance for me to actually commit to using.

I hate the thing.
Hate it.

I can't say everyone is like me, but I have my doubts about this "alternate shadow personality theory" being generally useful. It just sounds like it's driven by a natural extension of the main theory, without it having real grounding in case studies.

Regarding the issue of Thompson, what I always found hard to accept from some of her biggest admirers on the forum, is the idea that the introverted function is a "compeltely different" one to its extraverted coutnerpart. Beebe's idea that a function can express itself in extraverted or introverted "attitudes", and that in doing so it casts a shadow of the opposite atittude, makes much more sense to me.

I think my feelings are somewhere in-between. Te is more similar to Ti than Ti is to Fe, I guess, but it's so inside-out it's almost a completely different way to thinking.

Te is goal-oriented. It is an application of power, making things conform to the predetermined concrete rational ideal in order to achieve congruence. Ti is essence-oriented. It explores and seeks what is within, the underlying nature, based on what already is apparent. Whereas Te wields power to bring about the desired outcome, Ti abandons power and takes what already exists to figure out what it must be inside.

Both are detached functions, the "self" is irrelevant.
But going in COMPLETELY opposite directions.

I'm SO "informative" that I am so NOT "directive."

So I can't tell you which is more right.

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
I'm SO "informative" that I am so NOT "directive."

That's kind of what the idea of a "shadow function" means, though. :tongue:

As I understand it the theory is that using one attitude of a function negates the other attitude precisely because they are different attitudes of the same function. And therefore the opposing attitude of the function is relegated to the subconscious. That makes sense to me.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Again, my issue is not particular "shadow functions," it's the conjuration of an entire "shadow type" based solely on my strongest first four functions and the theoretical derivation thereof.

That is what I think is entirely arbitrarily.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Again, my issue is not particular "shadow functions," it's the conjuration of an entire "shadow type" based solely on my strongest first four functions and the theoretical derivation thereof.

That is what I think is entirely arbitrarily.

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
Fair enough. I have only read the works by Beebe which I posted here (kind of why I was asking for more reading or examples ;)) and here he doesn't really mention a "shadow type", rather different qualitative roles which we assign to each of the functions. He said himself he was trying to get away from a "heirarchy of functions" and instead concentrate on them more qualitatively.

For example the theory goes that you and I as intp would fall back on Ni to criticize/demoralize others (senex/witch), or when in complete meltdown, express oruselves through Fi (demon).

Personally this is what I am most interested to see examples of in practice.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Fair enough. I have only read the works by Beebe which I posted here (kind of why I was asking for more reading or examples ;)) and here he doesn't really mention a "shadow type", rather different qualitative roles which we assign to each of the functions. He said himself he was trying to get away from a "heirarchy of functions" and instead concentrate on them more qualitatively.

For example the theory goes that you and I as intp would fall back on Ni to criticize/demoralize others (senex/witch), or when in complete meltdown, express oruselves through Fi (demon).

Personally this is what I am most interested to see examples of in practice.

Well, I think my issues with those "assigned" functions is how these roles were determined to start with. They're all just made up. Why is the sixth function the Trickster function, while the second function is called the Parenting function? Why aren't these something else? Who decided this?

It just seems very made up to me. And if someone else made up a different system, we'd be nodding and saying, "Oh, yes, I see how that function can be used that way." Or... maybe not.

Maybe I can see if you label one thing a Parenting function, the opposite of Parenting would the Senex thing... but it's all arbitrary to begin with rather than derived from real life. I used both functions (Ne and Ni) and other functions as well to guide the parenting of my children and of myself.

ragashree

Reason vs Being
MBTI Type
Mine
Enneagram
1w9
I'm wanting to make up my own alternative Mbti-based function system now. I'm sure I could come up with something internally coherent if I worked on it :) Whether it reflected any particular reality would of course be as nothing compared to the inherent beauty and unity of the system itself...

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm wanting to make up my own alternative Mbti-based function system now. I'm sure I could come up with something internally coherent if I worked on it :) Whether it reflected any particular reality would of course be as nothing compared to the inherent beauty and unity of the system itself...

Go Go Gadget NT!

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Some people can develop their Aux and Tert to such a degree they can have more strength than their Dom.
I am not saying Beebe's model is necessarilly true, because like oyu I have yet to see how it works in reality (though I am still open as the theory is new to me).

Also to be fair to Beebe he doesn't say that he is listing the fucntions in terms of frequency usage, but rather in a more "qualitative" way, i.e. the role we take on when using them. This is what I am still trying to envisage in practice.
He said himself he was trying to get away from a "heirarchy of functions" and instead concentrate on them more qualitatively.

According to Mark Hunziker and Leona Haas Building Blocks of Personality Type (Unite Business Press, a division of Telos, 2006):
Actually, the shadow encompasses all processes that are primarily unconscious in an individual. Which processes these are will depend on that person'a type development and can even include all eight in a very young child. Note also, that the normal hierarchy of preference for processes five through eight has not yet been empirically established, and in practice is likely to vary from person to person. Beebe cautions us not to assume too much on the basis of his numbering, which in many ways is simply for convenience in identifying the various positions. He simply puts it forth as a tool that he has found useful and informative and which at least for the first four functions seems to reflect the order of conscious cultivation of the functions that he has observed. The numbers for the shadow functions are identified merely to mirror the ordering of the first four.
(Glossary: "Shadow", p. 215, emphasis added)

the other model seems much more arbitrary, i.e. to completely seperate Ti and Te rather than seeing a "unity of opposites", within which one pole "negates" the other (but that's my marxism showing I guess).
I've never gotten that sense from her. She in fact is the one who got me to see it in its original Jungian conception, as only four functions, and that the ego orients them in an inner or outer way (generating eight FA's). This is what really helped me finally understand it all a year ago, allowing for a lot more fluidity in type behavior.
It's the Berens camp, including the host of the link in your post #2 that make "Xe/i" into hard, fixed things that are totally opposed to one another. That was what threw me and so many others off.

By the way, I actually disagree with Eric about Thomson.
She makes way too many assertions about types as if they are absolute.
It was the first thing I noticed about her. Her thinking is too rigid for my taste.
I don't see what you're saying there. But then, perhaps you're going by the book, yet she has modified some of her views since that was published. She has been pointing out to me, that the cognitive preferences (which determine type) are simply the ways that we build neurological connections between the limbic system and the frontal cortex. She criticizes the behavioral focus shaping much of type discussion, which is actually influenced by temperament theory, and basicaly focuses on the limbic system of emotional reaction. Again, I think it is other theorists (especially those using temperament) who make type sound more absolute, and that she has been clarifying it.

Fair enough. I have only read the works by Beebe which I posted here (kind of why I was asking for more reading or examples ;)) and here he doesn't really mention a "shadow type", rather different qualitative roles which we assign to each of the functions.
I have not seen anyone really make much of "shadow type". (And no; I've never even seen Beebe mention it). That seems to be something derived from sources like Team Technology, who, using the old four function model, declare the type with all letters opposite, (whose dominant is your inferior), as the "shadow type", and I and others using the eight functions model pointed out that the true "shadow" is the other four functions.
So for us, it could be either ENTJ or ISFP. (About a year ago, under unusual stress, I recognized myself going into a freaky ISFP mode one day, and I was clearly not myself). You may not even be conscious of it unless looking for it. It is something that erupts under stress, and would have nothing to do with how "strong" your Te or any of the other functions normally is.