• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Debate!

T

ThatGirl

So, found myself in a debate yesterday, continued today) of whether a person can ever truly view themselves from an objective perspective.

Won't tell you which side I was on till one of you say the wrong thing....

Discuss.

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
So, found myself in a debate yesterday, continued today) of whether a person can ever truly view themselves from an objective perspective.

Won't tell you which side I was on till one of you say the wrong thing....

Discuss.

I doubt it.. unless they have the liberty and resources to spend all their time trying to self actualize..

I think we can at least do our best to be honest with ourselves.. But it's so easy to pass the buck and not be accountable..in fact it is almost encouraged to do so..

So I doubt it..

T

ThatGirl

Jesus, that was easy...

I disagree. One does not need to be self actualized to be self aware.

What about knowing yourself, how will you act in any given situation. Realizing it, owning it. Then separating that part of knowledge from the billions of other facts to consider in any given context?

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Jesus, that was easy...

I disagree. One does not need to be self actualized to be self aware.

What about knowing yourself, how will you act in any given situation. Realizing it, owning it. Then separating that part of knowledge from the billions of other facts to consider in any given context?

Except there is always the X factor.. those times when you surprise even yourself..

I know a few people who think they are self aware.. and we all are to some degree.. But if self awareness leads to self actualization.. then most people are not aware enough, and lie to themselves and/or are oblivious to certain things in themselves ... Seriously ..

T

ThatGirl

Except I wasn't speaking of self actualization.

Look all you have to do is know yourself. We get all caught up in this cognitive bullshit and think that somehow makes us random, but we aren't. From a humanity level everyone in the world operates from the same instinctual principals. Maybe five.

So if you know (and are half intelligent) you don't need to know specifically what each scenario will entail. But you can know with incredible accuracy, the probability of reaction.

The you take experience into account. The more you have experienced the fundamentals of humanity, the more you understand yourself as a whole.

Getting tipsy so bare with me. But all of life is like biology. When I first started I thought, jesus, the big words, but the more you not only know the concepts of the word orientation, mixed with the experience of using the base words to create words beyond what you normally use in language....

Lol it is so simple.

Know yourself on a simplistic fundamental level, know the cause and effect of that being, know what the situation consists of with/without it.

Objectivity is NOT as odd as people assume it would be.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
When I debate with someone I usually try to see myself at the objective point of view so I know what to say to make them agree with me. It works half the time. Still training.

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Except I wasn't speaking of self actualization.

Look all you have to do is know yourself. We get all caught up in this cognitive bullshit and think that somehow makes us random, but we aren't. From a humanity level everyone in the world operates from the same instinctual principals. Maybe five.

So if you know (and are half intelligent) you don't need to know specifically what each scenario will entail. But you can know with incredible accuracy, the probability of reaction.

The you take experience into account. The more you have experienced the fundamentals of humanity, the more you understand yourself as a whole.

Getting tipsy so bare with me. But all of life is like biology. When I first started I thought, jesus, the big words, but the more you not only know the concepts of the word orientation, mixed with the experience of using the base words to create words beyond what you normally use in language....

Lol it is so simple.

Know yourself on a simplistic fundamental level, know the cause and effect of that being, know what the situation consists of with/without it.

Objectivity is NOT as odd as people assume it would be.

We are more than Biological machines.. I am well aware of instinctual principles..... But when I can watch someone ignore their food while engrossed with their blackberry.. or spending time on here when they should be sleeping..LOL or cheating on a spouse even though it threatens their security in life..
It is not so simple.. Only if you completely discount emotions and the effect they have on people.. The X factor..

T

ThatGirl

Never stated to discount it, this isn't a T vs F thing...

Read up you'll see.

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Never stated to discount it, this isn't a T vs F thing...

Read up you'll see.

I never said it was.. I found your response very thought out. But you yourself said it's based on "probability".. That means an X factor is present.

I believe the X factor to be emotions.. and their inherent unpredictability.
which make people do all sorts of things they are unaware of, at least not without hindsight..

T

ThatGirl

Going to bed, the conclusion for the night.

Objectivity is reached when you have a fundamental understanding of yourself the good, bad, and ugly. Then you can notice where your influence occurred in a situation rather than if you had not been there at all. Experience locks in this perspective, because despite whether it is motivation or observation, you can test the accuracy of everything I stated above.

Self awareness leads to objectivity if one seeks to understand anything more than themselves.

I suppose it is a difference in perspective...

We are not the world, the world is something we have an idea of or influence on, given all the information available.

This is objectivity.

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Going to bed, the conclusion for the night.

Objectivity is reached when you have a fundamental understanding of yourself the good, bad, and ugly. Then you can notice where your influence occurred in a situation rather than if you had not been there at all. Experience locks in this perspective, because despite whether it is motivation or observation, you can test the accuracy of everything I stated above.

Self awareness leads to objectivity if one seeks to understand anything more than themselves.

I suppose it is a difference in perspective...

We are not the world, the world is something we have an idea of or influence on, given all the information available.

This is objectivity.

Yes .. this is all very true.. and coming out of emotion and standing aside one can truly see their influence on events.. I have just had a serious bout of this.. So now you are making ground because I can relate a little more.. in fact did someone send you to tell me this?? LOL

speculative

Feelin' FiNe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5

I don't think an argument has successfully been made that the problem of seeing yourself objectively is any different that than of seeing anything or anyone else objectively. Whether we look in a mirror at ourselves, or look in a mirror at another, it is still our eyes in both cases that we are looking through. It is the act of looking that brings the bias. If we simply see, then both the self and the other should be equally blessed by an objective lens?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Not only can you never see yourself objectively, there's much speculation to whether or not objectivity actually exists. Kind of what Speculative said.

T

ThatGirl

I don't think an argument has successfully been made that the problem of seeing yourself objectively is any different that than of seeing anything or anyone else objectively. Whether we look in a mirror at ourselves, or look in a mirror at another, it is still our eyes in both cases that we are looking through. It is the act of looking that brings the bias. If we simply see, then both the self and the other should be equally blessed by an objective lens?

If you can recognize the bias then you can remove its portion from the equation. The first mistake in not being objective is failing to account for bias. But just as anything else, if it is there, it can be removed altered whatever, just as any other conceptual fact. If you have taken the time to know what it consists of. And this is as easy as simply knowing yourself.

ubiquitous1

When we attempt to perceive ourselves objectively, what standard should we use?

Is there a universal measurement of human behavior?

Mole

Permabanned
Not only can you never see yourself objectively, there's much speculation to whether or not objectivity actually exists.

Objectivity exists in exactly the same way the Limit exists in calculus.

We never quite reach the Limit just as we never quite reach objectivity.

And just as the Limit gives us the laws of motion, so objectivity gives us the laws of reality.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Objectively, meaning we can observe every aspect of our mind and personality at one time, while making rational decisions about it?

Btw, ubiquitous, explain your questions.

Mole

Permabanned
When we attempt to perceive ourselves objectively, what standard should we use?

Is there a universal measurement of human behavior?

We see ourselves subjectively and others objectively.

So if we want to see ourselves objectively, it is best to ask someone else.

However we can imagine ourselves into the subjectivity of another.

This is pure magic and delight.

Mole

Permabanned
Objectively, meaning we can observe every aspect of our mind and personality at one time, while making rational decisions about it?

I think objectivity means seeing something as an object, while subjectivity means seeing someone as a subject.

The amazing thing is that I can see you as both an object and a subject.

When I look at you, I have binocular vision.

ubiquitous1

So if we want to see ourselves objectively, it is best to ask someone else.

I agree.

Objectivity exists in exactly the same way the Limit exists in calculus.
We never quite reach the Limit just as we never quite reach objectivity.

Even though limits do not exist for every function, limits do exist. For example the limit of x/x is one.