• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Anxiety Attacks

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
Anxiety

How do you all deal with it? One thing I've heard recently is to focus on one's sensory perceptions, such as the weight of one's feet on the ground, how the ground pushes back against you, on the feeling of a couch or bed supporting you, the way a room feels. It seems to help.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
it does...that's what i do...i try to get out of my head and focus on the trees...or clouds...or water...my breath...the sound of the wind...

Typology

MBTI Type
epyT
Enneagram
Always have a schedule, always have a goal in mind for the immediate future that requires sub-goals if you will to be completed. I've started diong this recently and it's definately helped.

P

Phantonym

As Typology mentioned, having a schedule is helpful. I try to phase out everything around me and only focus on the thing I'm supposed to accomplish, however small it may be, and then move on to the next and then the next. Small steps.

Put yourself in extreme situations.

Yes, exposure therapy works well in some cases; in others, not so much.

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Always have a schedule, always have a goal in mind for the immediate future that requires sub-goals if you will to be completed. I've started diong this recently and it's definately helped.

that would give me MORE anxiety... ;)
schedules... too much!!

Put yourself in extreme situations.

i think that is AWESOME advice. truly great advice. :thumbup:
it is probably really terrible advice for some people though, haha.

i used to have panic attacks a long time ago, that really crippled me badly. they totally ended me, shut me down in my tracks.
the way i overcame them was..... alcohol and drugs - really heavy drinking and out of control drugs. ;) it worked 100% for my anxiety but then it made ten thousand more PROBLEMS....
it is a terrible solution, really i think it is for shit.

i think that PEACEFULNESS and quiet stillness is the REAL way to fight anxiety. i think that going out into nature is a really good suggestion, long walks and solitude and quiet calm.
i think if you have the stomach for it, then it is about finding stillness and the slow current in your body. the solid and stable current that drives you.

Gerbah

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w4
How do you all deal with it? One thing I've heard recently is to focus on one's sensory perceptions, such as the weight of one's feet on the ground, how the ground pushes back against you, on the feeling of a couch or bed supporting you, the way a room feels. It seems to help.

Yes, I think because it helps you get out of your mind more. When I'm feeling anxious I do something similar but more in a mental way, i.e. I focus on my present moment and what it's like, and in the present, concrete moment there is usually nothing to be that anxious about, which helps to contain the anxiety in its proper place and to its actual cause.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I heard that putting a lemon in your mouth helps with panic attacks. I have never tried it yet.
My personal anxiety cures are having a schedule, as typology put it, making lists to make everything I have to do look less intimidating, and exercising 5 days a week. Focusing on the present helps.

In extreme cases, I take deep breaths into a paper bag and pace around.

Typology

MBTI Type
epyT
Enneagram
that would give me MORE anxiety... ;)
schedules... too much!!

It's not even that, always know what you want to be doing in any given moment and be constantly aware of what your doing to achieve it.

I feel like I'm making it complicated, but basically to simplify it down, if you want to be sitting in the sun, focus completely on what you're doing to actually get out into the sun until you actually do it, then continue from there.