User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Thread: Anxiety Attacks

MBTI
    ENFj

I actually created a thread on this:

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...c-attacks.html

I think shortnsweet summarized it best and I did a lot of the same things that she stated. It sucks, I know , there was a time that I had them daily and I spent countless sleepless nights because of anxiety. What helped me sleep better was trying to relax at night. So I avoided anything (movies, video games etc.) that could excite me at night and drank tea to relax me. As for the panic attacks, like shortnsweet said I learned to not panic (like she said its sounds weird at first) and to keep my composure during one of them. It can be a real issue because you really think you are going to die at times so I had to go a little further to accept my panic attacks. If I was going to conquer my fears I had to accept the worst outcome possible from my fears, so I ended up accepting death itself. Like I said I was at the point that I felt my attacks were literally driving me insane so I made peace with myself, I talked a lot things that I had in my chest with people I loved (even cried which I had not done for many, many years) amongst other things but eventually I developed inner peace so when I had panic attacks I was no longer afraid, I let them be and eventually they started happen a lot less. Right now I don't feel like I have any anxiety and don't suffer the many daily symptoms that I did and I don't get panic attacks for months. I feel normal again. I don't know if anything I wrote is of any help but in a way just knowing that people know and understand what I was going through helped me a lot. Feel free to ask me anything you want.
    ENFJ 3W4

If you read this I am sorry to say that you just lost 5 seconds of your life that you wont be getting back.*

*Actual time may vary.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

^^ I'll go read that thread. I wish I had found it in the first place. I'm not terribly effective in my forum searches.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    Amazon.com: The Panic Attack Recovery Book: Step-by-Step Techniques to Reduce Anxiety and Change Your Life-Natural, Drug-Free, Fast Results (9780451200433): Shirley Swede, Seymour Jaffe: Books

This book was instrumental in helping me understand and recover from a really long and arduous bout of panic attacks. It explains how and why panic attacks occur, how to stop the triggers and break the cycles, how to help control them through thought patterns, diet, exercise, etc. Can't recommend it enough.
    I'll go put that on my list now.

The same thing happened again on the same strip of interstate. I tend to be distracted and managed to forget about my former panic attack and took the same way home. I was closer to the exit that time. I am taking a two-lane, slower road home for now. I am also trying to do some meditation to get centered and listen to Thich Nhat Hanh. My actual life is really good right now, which might contribute in reverse because I don't want anything to change again. I might also have low blood sugar.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

It's not you who isn't effective in forum searches- the search function just kind of blows.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

^ agreed; vbulletin search sucks!
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Toonia, (hello again)

I've struggled with anxiety for years and there are only a few things that really work. I mean, really work, not just hide my thoughts/distract me.

1. Being kind to yourself. Seeing how much you're suffering at the moment and opening your heart to yourself makes you tender and quiescent.
    2. Being courageous. Standing up to the feelings, the dread, the whole experience, especially the physical experience of shakiness (hard to really capture an experience in words) and seeing that you are in fact okay.
    3. Feeling the physical experience without any expectations and without using any words, almost like you were looking at a bizarre painting and just appreciating the weird colors and textures. This, for me, either creates some interesting introspection or leads to courage (2).

Also, if you drink coffee, you may want to cut that out. I've noticed how

MBTI
    ENFJ

I have a question.

Do people stop breathing during panic attacks? I'm trying to figure out if I had one.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    ENTP

Not necessarily. But you can be more intensely aware of your breathing and pulse.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    Not necessarily. But you can be more intensely aware of your breathing and pulse.
    Can they forget to breathe?

MBTI
    ENTP

Doubtful. But their mind could be racing enough to where they obsess about their control over breathing. Panic attacks are typically the result of prolonged stress.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    Doubtful. But their mind could be racing enough to where they obsess about their control over breathing. Panic attacks are typically the result of prolonged stress.
    Ohkay, so when all the blood rushes to my liver and my vision pales then darkens and I forget to breathe and can't get up for like an hour because I'm too close to fainting when I do, and then for hours and hours afterwards there's a pit in my stomach where all my blood rushed to, and this is all due to psychological (assumedly) distress, that's not a panic attack?

Then what is it?