User Tag List

First 123 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 30

  1. #11
    Listening Oaky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None
    Posts
    6,168

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    I understand what you're saying here, but I have one clarification I'd like to add.

    When you say "People are most likely not unique because they want to be unique." , I am going to interpret that as:

    "People that want to be considered unique by others are numerous, therefore such a mindset is not unique."

    ALL people, ALL humans are UNIQUE. Each of us has not only a unique DNA blurprint (with the exception of monozygotic identical twins) and each person has been reared in an environment that provided them with experiences that shaped their DNA blueprint as it morphed into their phenotype, their growing/adult minds/bodies, thus making them even more UNIQUE.

    I think the issue discussed here is more of an issue in western, individualist societies than in eastern collectivist societies. We have hang-ups about if anyone else in town has the same T-shirt as us, while others across the globe are making sure their Grandma has enough food for the day.
    At this point you've put it in the perspective to each individual. Yes, you are right. The thing is we as humans generally categorize ourselves, and that is what I was doing. MBTI is a good example of this.

  2. #12
    Senior Member Snow Turtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,335

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post

    Your question is not solvable because the defintion of "normal" cannot be standardized in a way that every perosn in the world agrees with it. It's as hard to define "normal" as it is to define "terrorism." Perspective is everything, thus making the endeavor very subjective, and exposing any study done of the concept to a wide margin of error.
    It's mostly all subjective, but there is still an objective element (ignoring fluctuating moods) where people will define themselves overall to be normal/different. It's a statistic based on the million different perceptions of what is meant by normal, so it doesn't really require a standardized normal. That would be impossible indeed. That's the reason I avoided the discussion on what it means to be normal.

    The question "What causes people to self-identify themselves as unique/normal" is probably too difficult to answer. But I do think that there will be a rough measure of how many people consider themselves different/normal/indifferent even if they aren't what they think they are.

    At this point I feel like I've just been repeating myself.

  3. #13
    Senior Member King sns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE
    Posts
    6,747

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    Warning: Huge generalisations taking place. Simplifying a complex matter.

    Having just come back from some psychology/sociology lectures about development and identity. I've been trying to figure out the reason people self-identify themselves as deviant/normal/don't really care or think about it. So far speaking to most of my friends...



    Ignoring the problem of having to define what is normal, in this case, we'll take it as what the observer thinks it is. The three categories above probably capture how most people feel about themselves in comparison to their peers with the sub-categories of "I want to be different/I want to be normal". There's going to be lots of different motivations and reasons for taking the various positions like rejection of a specific culture, desire for greatness or lots of other reasons, that I can't think of at the moment, but believe probably exist. Help me out here?

    For a long time, I believed that most people strive to be unique, which is especially reflected in the culture with live in now "Be yourself/Do what you want". This is also supported by own perspective that deviant behaviour is slowly but more likely to be accepted today in the younger generation (That's so random! I'm so random!) or things like alternative sexualities being accepted. This is contrasted with the past, where there appears to be more strict controls of acting normal in order to be accepted by society.



    It's only starting to dawn upon me, that there are people who are content with being normal and might even strive to be so. But I suppose I should have seen this ages ago, considering that we still get people saying "That's just weird". The most odd thing was hearing someone who considers themselves weird to call another person weird in a negative way.

    Despite all of this, part of me thinks that people in general do want to be different and unique. That people aren't really wanting to be normal, rather they want to be accepted instead. That would mean that if differences become more accepted in the future, the idea of normal behaviour will become even weaker/broad to the extent that it'd become a useless term.
    I feel like i'm different from everyone else. I don't know if i'm just paranoid or trying to be different, but I think that I strive for normalcy. I feel like sometimes I accidentally stand out. I'm not sure what i'm doing to cause it, and I normally like the attention of standing out when I do. But at the same time, I'd like to be able to blend in with most other people. Different to me is not always a good thing. It just means "weird" "no one can relate." Etc. Sometimes it can be a good thing if it just means that you stand out of the crowd and command attention, or have some kind of a presence.

    I'm not sure which category I fall into, but I'm inclined to think just weird. I think there's something to be said for being normal. I think many people do strive to be that way.

  4. #14
    Senior Member King sns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE
    Posts
    6,747

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    It's mostly all subjective, but there is still an objective element (ignoring fluctuating moods) where people will define themselves overall to be normal/different. It's a statistic based on the million different perceptions of what is meant by normal, so it doesn't really require a standardized normal. That would be impossible indeed. That's the reason I avoided the discussion on what it means to be normal.

    The question "What causes people to self-identify themselves as unique/normal" is probably too difficult to answer. But I do think that there will be a rough measure of how many people consider themselves different/normal/indifferent even if they aren't what they think they are.

    At this point I feel like I've just been repeating myself.
    Right, it doesn't matter what the definition is, the question is whether you try to be YOUR definition of normal or do you strive to be YOUR definition of different?

    and i'm guessing that for most people, it is guaged a lot by people around them.

  5. #15
    Senior Member King sns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE
    Posts
    6,747

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragingkatsuki View Post
    People want to be 'unique'.
    People are most likely not unique because they want to be unique.
    People who considers themselves normal can be normal or unique
    The contradiction though is that as much as people want to become unique, they want to 'fit in'.
    'Fitting in' = being normal
    Actually being unique =/= 'fitting in'
    It could also come to conclude that someone would 'fit in' by wanting to become unique but they wouldn't be.
    Depends on who you're hanging around with.
    Many circles want you to be the same or similar to fit in, and then that would be the norm.

  6. #16
    Senior Member Snow Turtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,335

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    Right, it doesn't matter what the definition is, the question is whether you try to be YOUR definition of normal or do you strive to be YOUR definition of different?
    Yep. You put the question in such a better way than I did.

    and i'm guessing that for most people, it is guaged a lot by people around them.
    Mind elaborating a little more on this? I don't fully understand it. Are we talking about the fact that our ideas of different/normal is based on the people we're surrounded by?

    I tend to seek out friends that I consider as a little eccentric, that's my idea of a 'normal' comfort zone. To me they are normal, but at the same time I don't consider them normal in a broader community sense and neither do they themselves. So even though the perception of society influences the whole matter, there's still a "I'm different/I'm normal/I'm just me" labelling going on.

    Yup, it's the labelling that I'm interested in, the reason that people adopt such labels. It's kinda fun to think about why.

  7. #17
    Don't Judge Me! Haphazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    6,707

    Default

    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

  8. #18
    Senior Member Snow Turtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,335

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Good picture!
    Do people really think that though? It's obviously can't all be true as there are individuals that think of themselves as normal people.

  9. #19
    Senior Member King sns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE
    Posts
    6,747

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    Yep. You put the question in such a better way than I did.



    Mind elaborating a little more on this? I don't fully understand it. Are we talking about the fact that our ideas of different/normal is based on the people we're surrounded by?

    I tend to seek out friends that I consider as a little eccentric, that's my idea of a 'normal' comfort zone. To me they are normal, but at the same time I don't consider them normal in a broader community sense and neither do they themselves. So even though the perception of society influences the whole matter, there's still a "I'm different/I'm normal/I'm just me" labelling going on.

    Yup, it's the labelling that I'm interested in, the reason that people adopt such labels. It's kinda fun to think about why.

    Haha, I know my wording was terrible. Just trying to show that I got where you are coming from.

    "Normal" actions and behaviors would have to be determined by the people around you. Like,

    you seek out people who you've labelled as unique, because you want to feel normal within your group. But, you must have some kind of a baseline in your life, with all the people that you've met, as to what you feel is truly normal in the broader sense. Because if those unique people that you're hanging out with are not normal, what is? And how did you determine this? It MUST have been the others in your life, otherwise, how would you know?

    Now, imagine those unique friends of yours. Imagine that EVERYONE you met was the same way as those unique friends, then what would you consider to be normal?

    I think that makes sense.
    (It makes sense in my own head.)

  10. #20

    Default

    I scribbled "The norm is redundant by definition." in my diary the other week. So I'm definitely not for normal. I don't want to have to put up with the annoyance of being special though. So neither .
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

Similar Threads

  1. Thousands of people want to be Paris Hilton and no one wants to be Spiderman?
    By Survive & Stay Free in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 08-03-2013, 11:54 PM
  2. Why do people want to drag you down to their incompetence?
    By Lily flower in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-06-2011, 12:18 AM
  3. [NF] What do you want to be like?
    By Willywallywoo in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 12-20-2009, 11:24 AM
  4. [INTJ] Why do people Pretend to be INTJ's?
    By Dominicus Griswold in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 08-26-2008, 10:58 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO