The 1st 4 add up to the 5th

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by proximo View Post
    Interesting... how would you differentiate between honesty and integrity, though? I see them as much the same thing.

Though, I tend to see Telling the Truth as a different sort of sub-species of Honesty. You know, like I don't see telling the odd survival lie, expediency lie or diplomatic white lie or even those lies we all tell (except ISxJ's, obviously) when we fill in forms, as barring a person from being called Honest.
    I'm assuming that values here means ideals that we try to live up to but sometimes fail at living up to.

For me, Honesty would entail resisting telling the odd survival lie, expediency lie, and diplomatic white lie. I've been guilty of these at times, but I generally tell the truth no matter how inconvenient it is.
    Anyone who knows me well will attest to this.

Being honest would certainly be an example of Integrity, but Integrity encompasses a lot more than being honest.

I'M OUTTA HERE.

IT'S BEEN FUN.

TAKE CARE.

PEACE OUT!!!

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by No Exit View Post
    Love
    Confidence
    Freedom
    Fun
    Security
    Oh, I actually just realized something... Security, love and confidence are basic human NEEDS (according to A.Maslow). Should we even take them as part of the value list? They are basically there anyway, so it is kinda cheating to write them It's like, I value 1) Food 2) Water 3) Shelter 4) Sex 5) Posse

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    It does seem a bit random. But I think it works somehow like that. Say, I value independence and close relationships, the values are somewhat in conflict. No worries, I can easily see that I don't really value independence that much. Problem solved. So, if I take ALL the values I can think of, it is only about giving them a proper order. I haven't actually done that, as it seems unnecessary.
    So... that's it? That's your decision making process? You just run it through a totally subjective "what I like best" filter?? What happens when you sacrifice something that's of less value to you than that close relationship, but it's something of very high value to the other person and they can't countenance your sacrificing it for their sake?

Quote Originally Posted by Wonkavision View Post
    I'm assuming that values here means ideals that we try to live up to but sometimes fail at living up to.

For me, Honesty would entail resisting telling the odd survival lie, expediency lie, and diplomatic white lie. I've been guilty of these at times, but I generally tell the truth no matter how inconvenient it is.
    Anyone who knows me well will attest to this.

Being honest would certainly be an example of Integrity, but Integrity encompasses a lot more than being honest.
    Yeah I know it does. It's interesting that you put such an importance on Telling the Truth... I know a couple of other people who say similar things. What's your reasoning behind that? I mean, what good comes of it, IYO, that's worth the "inconvenience" to yourself and perhaps others?

I'm gonna go and walk the dog. I might return with another value.

It just would have to start raining right now, eh?
    I'm male and over 30, FYI.
    Preferences: 20% Extravert, 98% Intuitive, 68% Thinker, 17% Perceiving

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Oh, I actually just realized something... Security, love and confidence are basic human NEEDS (according to A.Maslow). Should we even take them as part of the value list? They are basically there anyway, so it is kinda cheating to write them It's like, I value 1) Food 2)Water 3) Shelter 4) Sex 5)Posse
    Ok.. I guess I went too deep then..:O or I am lacking in basic human needs

It's a bit troubling

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Ok.. I guess I went too deep then..:O or I am lacking in basic human needs

It's a bit troubling
    Don't worry. As you have confidence and freedom among the important stuff it means you are quite high on the motivation theory. It means your basic needs are mostly satisfied.

Maslow's hierarchy of needs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So... that's it? That's your decision making process? You just run it through a totally subjective "what I like best" filter?? What happens when you sacrifice something that's of less value to you than that close relationship, but it's something of very high value to the other person and they can't countenance your sacrificing it for their sake?
    Interesting question. I'd probably still sacrifice the lesser value. Otherwise it wasn't MY value system. This might lead to some sticky situations, I'm sure.

Sniffles

God, Truth, Integrity, Wisdom, Independence.

I cannot stress integrity enough. Take away my integrity, and you've taken away my life.

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Don't worry. As you have confidence and freedom among the important stuff it means you are quite high on the motivation theory. It means your basic needs are mostly satisfied.

Maslow's hierarchy of needs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Holy geez!! I think I remember that from High School.. I don't agree with the order personally but then, I have a very limited knowledge of it..
    Thanks

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    IEE

It's interesting that you put such an importance on Telling the Truth... I know a couple of other people who say similar things. What's your reasoning behind that? I mean, what good comes of it, IYO, that's worth the "inconvenience" to yourself and perhaps others?
    Mostly it has to do with having a clear conscience, and not wanting to be a hypocrite.

I feel guilty when I lie because I want people to be honest with me.

And just because I know people are often dishonest with me, I don't believe that gives me the right to be dishonest.

It's related to personal integrity again, I guess.

I'M OUTTA HERE.

IT'S BEEN FUN.

TAKE CARE.

PEACE OUT!!!

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Holy geez!! I think I remember that from High School.. I don't agree with the order personally but then, I have a very limited knowledge of it..
    Thanks
    I didn't have it in school but I read the book, since it was an interesting perspective. I'm not sure about the order myself, but he writes that everyone is on multiple levels at the same time (not having all the security met while being mostly on level three, for example) so, I think that is why it seems to me like they are not in the same order than they are in my mind.