User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Default Any introverts who are mistaken as extroverts by others?

I'm surprised at how many people I know are surprised that I'm introverted. For most, their definition of introversion means quiet, shy or reserved, a loner, so there is a little ignorance there. Others, though, say that, based on my social interaction they are surprised at my I-ness. I guess because I am not the typical introvert in a lot of respects- in that I don't mind a large party, being the loudest, and all of that, etc, but it's unmistakeable when the next day, or even later in the day, I want to be ALONE! LOL. I'll go lock myself up in my house, in my room- not wanting to talk on the phone or txt or email, until I've had some time to 'recharge'.

I wasn't sure that I was introverted for sure until I recognized that about myself.

Anybody else so close to that I/E line that they are mistaken for extroverts?

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Yes I am. I like talking to people, I see absolutely no purpose to being shy, and I just like people in general. But I get drained from interacting from the world, so therefore I'm an introvert.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    INTJ

Yes. Here is how my introversion/extroversion plays out, Big Five-wise:

Quote Originally Posted by Economica View Post
    I took the 300-item IPIP NEO test. In case anyone's interested, here are my percentiles compared to other women in my age bracket (whatever that bracket is):

Extraversion...............41
    Friendliness.............74
    Gregariousness...........52
    Assertiveness............95
    Activity Level...........1
    Excitement-Seeking.......2
    Cheerfulness.............61

(...)
    At work, I sit at my desk most of the time while wearing earplugs to tune out the sounds of my two office mates typing or people talking out in the hall, happily disappearing into the emails I am writing or the data I am analyzing. And at home I enjoy a lot of downtime. But whenever I am prepared to interact with people, I am outspoken and animated, and only an extraordinary observer would peg me as an introvert.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

... but mostly only here.

In public it can happen (if I'm comfortable in the environment), and then people think I'm mad at them if I go into self-imposed isolation because I run my tank dry abruptly.

(Which is what it costs me. It's a forced state, to put out social vibes. The more energy I use, the more I flatten out to impersonal communication and the social niceties vanish.)

... so yeah, I get the total "locked in my room" thang.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Pumpernickel
    MBTI
    ENTJ

I can see that happening, alot of people (especially non MBTI people) just assume introvert means you are a loner.

I have the opposite problem though, I assume people are introverts and then they always surprise me

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

there are people who don't really know me who think i'm extroverted but those who know me well know i'm not. i'm am happiest when i have little contact with others and if i am unable to have time away from people i just can't cope.

MBTI
    yupp

yep, and i'm like nope and they're like really? and I'm like yeah blah blah blah blah and they're like hmmmmm. I'm like yup and they're like are you sure? and I'm like yes I'm fucking sure just cuz i'm an introvert doesn't mean i don't like socializing ever just that people are draining and I need my space. basically I like you but at the end of the night I go into my room and you go where ever you go and I'll unwind before having to talk to you again. No I don't want to talk about it, because when I said i want to be alone i mean need to be before I rip your fucking face off. I get cranky if I'm around others too much.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Twerking & Lurking ayoitsStepho's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 so/sx

Oh yes, especially when I'm really comfortable I can talk and joke and be crazy with the best of them. But I just need my break away from people. I can't spend every waking moment with people because I'll punch someone
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    ayoitsStepho is becoming someone else. Actually her true self, a rite of passage.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Me. I'm very talkative and can be extremely outspoken. I even had myself believing that I'm an ENFP.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3
    Socionics
    IEI

Sometimes. Depends on who I'm with. Usually, no.
    4w3, IEI, so/sx/sp, female, and Cancer sign.

My thoughts on...
    Enneagram:
    Socionics:
    MBTI:

DISCLAIMER: If I offend you, I'm 99.9% sure it's unintentional. So be sure to let me know, m'kay? (And yes, an INFP would stick this in their signature, lol.)