• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Any introverts who are mistaken as extroverts by others?

wolfy

awsm
So in reverse of everyone, energised by others but reserved is extraverted?

Mort Belfry

Rats off to ya!
MBTI Type
INTP
I had someone call me a "people person" once. I was never more offended.

bluebell

MBTI Type
INTP
I had that happen to me at a recent conference. I'm quite capable of being chatty and friendly, even with strangers. I'm not sure if I'm a mistyped introvert (although I'm having trouble seeing myself as an ENTP, or any other extraverted type for that matter) or whether I'm an unusually sociable introvert (with so/sx Enneagram instincts).

krunchtime

Nope. A textbook introvert (shy) can't get mistaken for an extrovert, but sometimes I find myself wondering. I do like interacting with people at times, I'm never afraid to speak my mind when I've something to say. Seems like there's actually little that separates between I/E especially if you're balanced. When and how to draw the line?

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
My wife is an introvert that is confused for an extravert. I'm an extravert that is confused for an introvert. I'm the one that likes to go out, but when we do go with other people she does most of the talking. :)

yeah I find the opposite intriguing too- it's like you are energized by being around people but you yourself are less likely to expend it on others.....interesting.........

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
Nope. A textbook introvert (shy) can't get mistaken for an extrovert, but sometimes I find myself wondering. I do like interacting with people at times, I'm never afraid to speak my mind when I've something to say. Seems like there's actually little that separates between I/E especially if you're balanced. When and how to draw the line?

Good point. You can't draw the line. That's what I like about MBTI- it's a generality, and you cannot look at it in a rigid form. We all have differing strenghts in our prefences, and they combine to form a unique person.

InfiniteIntrigue

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
sp
I think I can come off as an extrovert around others. I'm friendly enough and I worked in retail for two years during high school (And I hated it; People are nuts). I think that I live more in my head than the real world and that's how I make it through the day. I turn everyone else off. Ha.

reality.ensues

MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
4w5
My acquaintances all think I'm an introvert, and my friends think the opposite. That would be because I'm more comfortable with my friends, so much I'm actually considered to be the loudest in the bunch. I actually had myself pegged as an ENFP for a long time.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
ya me, I am a madman posing to be social since 1983

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8vYgqt7B0U"].[/YOUTUBE]

Patriot

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I have the MyType application on Facebook and one of my friends rated my personality as being extremely extroverted. I was like...what the word?! Since then I've payed more attention to my behavior in social settings - not that I don't pay attention to my behavior (I'm ridiculously self conscious) but I mean actually analyzing my level of outgoing-ness. I realized I can be extremely outgoing and talkative when I want to be. Out of curiosity I've even presented this to some of my acquaintances, and they all swear that I'm really social. Good grief. The social side is only a small part of me (actually, when I'm like that, it doesn't feel like me at all), and it takes huge amounts of effort to keep it up. I can't keep my outgoing side going for very long before I crash and burn.

I find people interesting, but more in a sit-on-a-park-bench-just-to-watch-humans-passing-and-make-up-stories-about-them kind of way. If I see someone in a store that I know, I will often duck into another isle because I'm just not in the mood to talk. I don't jump at opportunities for social interaction. (Translation: I avoid them whenever possible.)

I like people, but only sometimes. People are stressful.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
Haha I could never be mistaken for an extrovert. I get drained after just a little bit of interaction. But then I could run all day, so it's not a physical thing (it's mental). But in some situations, with a few people I know very well, I suppose it's possible to confuse me for an E.

Bellamy'sSocket

MBTI Type
INFP
My acquaintances all think I'm an introvert, and my friends think the opposite. That would be because I'm more comfortable with my friends, so much I'm actually considered to be the loudest in the bunch. I actually had myself pegged as an ENFP for a long time.

That's the same here. My school friends really don't believe me when I say I'm an introvert. I'm eighty percent full of introversion! I think some people just aren't really aware of what an introvert is. They're not always the distant, quiet, anti-social loners.

WoodsWoman

MBTI Type
INFP
People who think I'm extroverted only see me for short periods of time.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
my husband said just this morning that i'm more extroverted than he is. i hope so otherwise our kids wouldn't get to do anything!

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
At first when introducing myself to people, I'm pretty confident and moderately outgoing. Some people might think this is extroversion, but stick me in a group of people during a conversation, I'm so quiet, people wonder what I'm thinking. I usually say something when I have something related to the topic to discuss.

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY
I'm only ever shy around girls I secretly like... It's not funny dammit.

For the rest I'm fairly outgoing. Like this morning, after going to a drum and base party me and a friend just met some people and went to an after party with them. I didn't know anybody there, but I made friends nonetheless.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i'm very hesitant about starting conversations with people, and i'm not very friendly but if i'm with people i'm comfortable with i can be very loud and outgoing. so yeah in certain situations i could definitely be mistaken for an extrovert. less often now though.

i feel like until i was 15 i was like an ENFP 7w6 and now i'm an INFP 4w5. no clue how that happened lol. puberty?