• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Any introverts who are mistaken as extroverts by others?

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
I'm surprised at how many people I know are surprised that I'm introverted. For most, their definition of introversion means quiet, shy or reserved, a loner, so there is a little ignorance there. Others, though, say that, based on my social interaction they are surprised at my I-ness. I guess because I am not the typical introvert in a lot of respects- in that I don't mind a large party, being the loudest, and all of that, etc, but it's unmistakeable when the next day, or even later in the day, I want to be ALONE! LOL. I'll go lock myself up in my house, in my room- not wanting to talk on the phone or txt or email, until I've had some time to 'recharge'.

I wasn't sure that I was introverted for sure until I recognized that about myself.

Anybody else so close to that I/E line that they are mistaken for extroverts?

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes I am. I like talking to people, I see absolutely no purpose to being shy, and I just like people in general. But I get drained from interacting from the world, so therefore I'm an introvert.

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
Yes. Here is how my introversion/extroversion plays out, Big Five-wise:

I took the 300-item IPIP NEO test. In case anyone's interested, here are my percentiles compared to other women in my age bracket (whatever that bracket is):

Extraversion...............41
Friendliness.............74
Gregariousness...........52
Assertiveness............95
Activity Level...........1
Excitement-Seeking.......2
Cheerfulness.............61

(...)

At work, I sit at my desk most of the time while wearing earplugs to tune out the sounds of my two office mates typing or people talking out in the hall, happily disappearing into the emails I am writing or the data I am analyzing. And at home I enjoy a lot of downtime. But whenever I am prepared to interact with people, I am outspoken and animated, and only an extraordinary observer would peg me as an introvert.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
:hi:

... but mostly only here.

In public it can happen (if I'm comfortable in the environment), and then people think I'm mad at them if I go into self-imposed isolation because I run my tank dry abruptly.

(Which is what it costs me. It's a forced state, to put out social vibes. The more energy I use, the more I flatten out to impersonal communication and the social niceties vanish.)

... so yeah, I get the total "locked in my room" thang. :)

JustHer

Pumpernickel
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I can see that happening, alot of people (especially non MBTI people) just assume introvert means you are a loner.

I have the opposite problem though, I assume people are introverts and then they always surprise me

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
there are people who don't really know me who think i'm extroverted but those who know me well know i'm not. i'm am happiest when i have little contact with others and if i am unable to have time away from people i just can't cope.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
yep, and i'm like nope and they're like really? and I'm like yeah blah blah blah blah and they're like hmmmmm. I'm like yup and they're like are you sure? and I'm like yes I'm fucking sure just cuz i'm an introvert doesn't mean i don't like socializing ever just that people are draining and I need my space. basically I like you but at the end of the night I go into my room and you go where ever you go and I'll unwind before having to talk to you again. No I don't want to talk about it, because when I said i want to be alone i mean need to be before I rip your fucking face off. I get cranky if I'm around others too much.

ayoitsStepho

Twerking & Lurking
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Oh yes, especially when I'm really comfortable I can talk and joke and be crazy with the best of them. But I just need my break away from people. I can't spend every waking moment with people because I'll punch someone :D

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Me. I'm very talkative and can be extremely outspoken. I even had myself believing that I'm an ENFP.

Bubbles

See Right Through Me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Sometimes. Depends on who I'm with. Usually, no.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
People almost always think I'm an extravert. I have a bright, warm affect.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
Yes. All the time.

I'm often perceived as very outgoing. I'm a good conversationalist and enjoy debate. What's more, I like to take oppositional stances to flesh out what others are thinking.

So, there you go.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes. All the time. I'm often perceived as very outgoing. I'm a good conversationalist and enjoy debate. What's more, I like to take oppositional stances to flesh out what others are thinking.

But we all know his apparent geniality is a no-good! rotten! lie!

... just saying kidding. :blush:

Sometimes. Depends on who I'm with. Usually, no.

I would never expect someone named Bubbles to be an extrovert.
Nope.
Nevah.

MonkeyGrass

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
I am, on a regular basis! I'm friendly, I like people, and very animated when I get excited about a subject. I gesticulate a lot. However, I am NOT extroverted. I have an extroverted facade that I utilize to get myself through intensely social situations, but it gets shelved as soon as it's no longer necessary.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
My wife is an introvert that is confused for an extravert. I'm an extravert that is confused for an introvert. I'm the one that likes to go out, but when we do go with other people she does most of the talking. :)

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
Anybody else so close to that I/E line that they are mistaken for extroverts?

I don't think I'm close to E, but I am sometimes mis-categorized. I think it's because most people assume we don't like people. :devil::yes:

Nyx

Yes, I have only tested as a slight preference for introversion ... about 20% preference

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I have a strong preference for introversion. I don't think I'm mistaken for an extrovert really, but I don't think most people would figure I'm as introverted as I am. As nolla said, the common perception is that introverts "don't like people" or are shy, and I don't usually come across that way. I rarely get called 'quiet' as I used to in my teens. I think I just seem friendly in a low-key way.

Bubbles

See Right Through Me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
I would never expect someone named Bubbles to be an extrovert.
Nope.
Nevah.

:laugh: This ditzy friendly adorable behavior is saved for friends and TypoC members only! Don't blow my cover here!

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
Well, yes, the type in my profile starts with E, but I'm quite close to the line. I don't even know myself which side...

After socializing for a while, I need to be alone.
After being alone for a while, I need to get out and socialize.

I like to read. I like to meet new persons. I can't remember names and the other things you need for the second time you meet the same person. I like to be the center of attention. :huh:

I chose the E because I relate more to the ENTP profile than to the INTP one. (I'm sure about the NTP part) Moreover, I want to post in the ENTP crazy idea thread :D