User Tag List

123 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Default IQ and communication

I've heard the case made the significant differences in IQ of like 15 or so points makes it more difficult to communicate between the two parties because they think differently. For the most part, it comes to the one with the higher IQ generating more complicated ideas that the one with the lower IQ doesn't comprehend as easily, or doesn't understand at all as the case may be. Even a slight lag in ability to understand basic concepts can create serious barriers to communication and stifle the quality social interaction.

So to those of you who have studied IQ to any extent, do you think this premise is true? Please do expand upon the idea if you can.

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram

I'm not sure that I completely agree with the premise.

I've had conversations that were out of my depth with individuals of similar IQ, and the role has been reversed within the same conversation. I think it depends on the subject being communicated. There are certainly different kinds of intelligence.

Also, knowledge of a subject doesn't necessarily equate to intelligence. An extremely intelligent person can be woefully ignorant in certain areas, and appear as dumb as a post.
    I think I think more than you think I think.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    I've heard the case made the significant differences in IQ of like 15 or so points makes it more difficult to communicate between the two parties because they think differently. For the most part, it comes to the one with the higher IQ generating more complicated ideas that the one with the lower IQ doesn't comprehend as easily, or doesn't understand at all as the case may be. Even a slight lag in ability to understand basic concepts can create serious barriers to communication and stifle the quality social interaction.

So to those of you who have studied IQ to any extent, do you think this premise is true? Please do expand upon the idea if you can.
    Education level might contribute. Maturity too, but not IQ.
    Let's say I am a very fast runner. What does that have to do with walking with my grandmother to the park? It's all context dependent. What does my IQ have to do with general communication? And shouldn't a bright person be able to aid someone else by understanding their lack of knowledge and gauging your statements accordingly? I think so. I did it all the time when I tutored language or music. I knew more, so it was my obligation to present the information in such a way that the person could assimilate it and learn. You do this by assessing what he/she knows about, and creating metaphors based on that (if possible).

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

I don't know if I'd use the term IQ, but I do think this is generally true.

Well...hm...

Actually I bet the difference between +2SDs and +3SDs isn't that hard for the +3SD guy.

So this is probably more true towards the average intelligence.

And there are just so many other dimensions to communication that I'm not sure this is always that important of a factor. I'm sure it always is some kind of factor, though.

Edit: re:above guy -- If you are an olympic runner, you probably have to try to walk as slow as a grandma. (Have you ever tried walking half of your normal walking speed? It takes real effort). That's what it's like for the smarter person. It takes effort to translate your ideas such that they'll be understood.

MBTI
    ?

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyGrass View Post
    Also, knowledge of a subject doesn't necessarily equate to intelligence. An extremely intelligent person can be woefully ignorant in certain areas, and appear as dumb as a post.
    Agreed. People who know about the same things, regardless of IQ, will relate on those subjects. People with identical IQs, but different interests/areas of knowledge will likely have difficulty communicating.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

I don't understand your post.

haha

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    I don't know if I'd use the term IQ, but I do think this is generally true.

Well...hm...

Actually I bet the difference between +2SDs and +3SDs isn't that hard for the +3SD guy.

So this is probably more true towards the average intelligence.

And there are just so many other dimensions to communication that I'm not sure this is always that important of a factor. I'm sure it always is some kind of factor, though.

Edit: re:above guy -- If you are an olympic runner, you probably have to try to walk as slow as a grandma. (Have you ever tried walking half of your normal walking speed? It takes real effort). That's what it's like for the smarter person. It takes effort to translate your ideas such that they'll be understood.
    re:Edit: This is 'above guy ( I actually have a name)
    I know music very well. I'm not going to act condescending and bored at a childrens' recital simply because I'm more skilled. In the context of walking with my grandmother, I might realize that spending time with her is more important than the 'discomfort' of walking slowly. I think this thread is just Risen tooting his own little horn again.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

I don't know that I have trouble communicating with those who have quite a different IQ from myself. But I have said before that those I 'connect' with most readily -- throughout school and beyond -- all have IQ's right around mine. Take that for what it's worth. We could all continue to have the argument of whether IQ truly represents 'intelligence', or disagree on what sort of intelligence it represents or whether it represents anything of use at all, but I think it measures *something*, even if that something is a certain way ones' brain functions - and it's that similar 'something' that I can more readily connect with. And for myself, that translates to similar conversations, modes of thought, random connections between topics, whatever.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    Even a slight lag in ability to understand basic concepts can create serious barriers to communication and stifle the quality social interaction.

Anyone can learn the terms. More knowledge doesn't mean smarter.

I think your equation is reversed. Those with higher intellect should to be able to seamlessly integrate complex ideas into paper-thin simplicity.

In practice, those that feel "misunderstood" by others often have a greater chance of suffering from poor communcation skills than they do from superior thinking.

Still, an interesting point.

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    I don't understand your post.

haha
    I think I think more than you think I think.