User Tag List

First 34567 Last

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

I got half way through Ygolo's article and couldn't read the rest...it's premise is wrong, or it feels wrong to me.
    I have to think about it.

I was thinking the other day, I feel it makes a huge difference. I was dealing with a patient, who didn't understand what her doctor had told her, so she decided to bail one of us lab techs up instead. I drew the short straw. I tried everything to explain what this particular test meant. Even had a nurse who barely speaks english try and explain....(okay me and the nurse were in tears of laughter/frustration afterwards. She thought it was really funny, her english is great, it's just so obviously not her first language, and she had explain in the end.) Finally the nurse has her understanding, amazingly, even then it took her a couple of goes. I had simplified, and simplified, but what this patient wanted was a yes or no answer that was impossible to give. The Nurse explained why we couldn't say Yes or No. Either that or she was freaking out she had bacteria on her body that wasn't bad.
    My point being most people tend to associate with people that have similar IQ's. Maybe a variation of 10-15 points. Say you have an IQ of 130-125. That means on a daily basis you are still talking with people of an above average IQ. Particulary if you are educated, and birds of a feather flock together. It's easier, there maybe issues with areas of expertise, but you don't have explain fundementals and assumptions....and you get lazy admittedly.
    I have one of the girls at work shaking her head, every time I explain something to maintainance, and she'll reexplain it. She told me I throw too many big words in there and she doesn't understand what I'm talking about, let alone some maintainance guy.
    What cracks me up was my boss says exactly the same thing as I do...and you hear the groans. There is such a thing as a communication barrier. I experience it on a regular basis, where as if you asked me when I still lived in the city, I'd have said it was an issue some times, occasionally....where I live now, it's an issue every freakin' day (I have a good deal of respect for doctors who stay here for more than two years, for instance). 15 points IQ difference makes a little bit of a difference, 30-40 (I'm not kidding, there's lead in soil here)points is almost freakin' insurmountable.
    I don't consider myself a snob or whatever either.
    Last edited by CrystalViolet; 02-12-2011 at 12:27 AM. Reason: clarity
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    I've heard the case made the significant differences in IQ of like 15 or so points makes it more difficult to communicate between the two parties because they think differently. For the most part, it comes to the one with the higher IQ generating more complicated ideas that the one with the lower IQ doesn't comprehend as easily, or doesn't understand at all as the case may be. Even a slight lag in ability to understand basic concepts can create serious barriers to communication and stifle the quality social interaction.

So to those of you who have studied IQ to any extent, do you think this premise is true? Please do expand upon the idea if you can.
    I can relate to this from both ends

MBTI
    FREE

I have a tested IQ of around 90, so if any of you smarties want to test this by talking with me I'd be happy to oblige.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A window to the soul

^

MBTI
    STP

I have an easier time talking to people with a hgher IQ. They are able to piece together my lack of communication skills. The non-stuck up people with high IQ can get past my lack of ability to explain and get the message...the stuck up ones cant see past my lack of ability to explain and will assume I have a low IQ.

IQ is an internal thing, not an external thing so there is no direct corrolation with communication.

ThatGirl

Quote Originally Posted by _Poki_ View Post
    I have an easier time talking to people with a hgher IQ. They are able to piece together my lack of communication skills. The non-stuck up people with high IQ can get past my lack of ability to explain and get the message...the stuck up ones cant see past my lack of ability to explain and will assume I have a low IQ.

IQ is an internal thing, not an external thing so there is no direct corrolation with communication.
    I agree with this.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    I have a tested IQ of around 90, so if any of you smarties want to test this by talking with me I'd be happy to oblige.
    My tested IQ is around 90 in some areas, so I'll be one of the not-so-super-smart people to talk to you and test this.

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Anyone factor in EQ, here? In terms of communication?
    *bats at spiderwebs*
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

^ As if IQ doesn't make me seem inferior enough =/

Let's just try to get to g-factor here, and not how it is applied to block puzzles, matrices, emotions, music, or whatever the tester happens to be interested in.

ThatGirl

EQ is a myth. Like the chupacabra.