First 23456 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    I've heard the case made the significant differences in IQ of like 15 or so points makes it more difficult to communicate between the two parties because they think differently. For the most part, it comes to the one with the higher IQ generating more complicated ideas that the one with the lower IQ doesn't comprehend as easily, or doesn't understand at all as the case may be. Even a slight lag in ability to understand basic concepts can create serious barriers to communication and stifle the quality social interaction.

So to those of you who have studied IQ to any extent, do you think this premise is true? Please do expand upon the idea if you can.
    Nah, I think it would be very difficult, if not impossible, to link IQ similarities and the ability to communicate.

If anything, there could be some correlations in similar verbal IQs and communicating better, but even that is a stretch.

The IQ test doesn't evaluate if a person understands all "basic concepts," so a lag in this ability is likely to be undetected by the test.

I'll give two examples for now:

(a.) Person A has a full scale IQ of 80, and has dedicated his/her whole life to soaking in as much information as possible.

Person B has a full scale IQ of 140, and has decidated his/her whole life to watching escapist TV shows and eating potato chips.

When these two meet to discuss a topic that is new to both of them, sure they are going to approach things very differently, but guess which one is going to end up looking like a fool

(b.) Person X has a full scale IQ of 100, but with a verbal IQ of 130 and a performance IQ of 70.

Person Y has a full scale IQ of 100, but with a verbal IQ of 70 and a performance IQ of 130.

These two are likely to process information quite differently, and unless a whole bunch of other factors even them out, they will probably have difficulty communicating.

Anyways, the gap between people who have trouble communicating due of them lagging behind in understanding, isn't likely to be summarized by simply a 15 point IQ gap. Looking outside the IQ box to things like different components of IQ, education, background, motivation/interest, layman's estimates of intelligence, etc. is necessary.

When all those are taken into consideration and there is still a gap, surely there is going to be difficulty in communicating.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

Well IQ measures various types of intelligence, and I do think it is an accurate indication of certain qualities inherit to the individual.
    'Indication' in the most general sense. Intelligence, as a general term, is nowhere close to fixed. And also if you are talking of test results.... so many things can go wrong with testing so that it could totally miss these certain qualities.

An IQ test can reveal many things about your various strengths and weaknesses.
    This is what it actually is quite good at.

It is possible (as I've heard it being suggested) that you will likely get along more easily with those who have a similar IQ level. Anecdotally I'd say it's likely true, but I'll only call it true if I can find a study on it.
    This is an interesting theory though. Too bad that know very few people closely, and even fewer who have actually taken a real IQ test. A study would be tricky...

And yes, part of intelligence is being able to take complicated concepts and simplify them for others to understand. It's one aspect of intelligence.
    Pretty much, yes. Though I should point out that you are bordering on using IQ and intelligence interchangebly here, which is a HUGE no no.

However, some people will always take the emotional response to the subject of IQ it seems :/ .
    I admit I am having fun poking holes in all this

With all the research that I've done on this, it's funny how very few people can communicate about IQ without flaws to poke at.

And I'm sure most of those people have full scale IQs far beyond mine....

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

It seems pretty obvious that intelligence is a factor when two people are communicating. There are clearly many other factors (education level being a huge one). But doesn't it seem to be more likely than chance that two people at similar IQ levels would have other communication-relevant traits in common?

I think IQ similarity MUST positively correlate with communication ability between two people. I'm not making the claim that it's the limiting factor, or even that it's the most important factor. But it's like... similarity on any scale is likely to make communication easier -- why not IQ?

Also, personal anecdotal evidence makes me think intelligent people group together (not necessarily high IQ people, but correlated). Even ignoring other factors, people specialize their communication towards their social groups, making it harder to speak to others.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    512 sp/so

I'm amazed that everyone here is just expressing opinion without looking for data, as if it's fact.

My first thought was to look for publications and studies on this, since obviously IQ and degree of sociability are two things that are widely tested.

My conclusion is that there is conflicting literature. The studies that have been conducted aren't well designed and typically draw bigger conclusions than either sample size or age range allows for.

An e.g. is this recent study, published last year, which claims that the adult males studied among the "high IQ" group showed a lower propensity towards mental illness and instability, and were highly sociable. The author then goes on to claim that the "unstable" group may be the "intermediate" (IQ=130-160) group instead. But if you look closely at his statistics, he basically only had a sample size of 11 for America and 2 for Europe. Of which, he claimed that because only 4 out of the 11 had diagnosed psychiatric disorders, and 3 "only" had neurotic behavior but were undiagnosed, the majority of them were psychologically normal! And he similarly made the claim for Europe based on the amazing sample size of 2.

This study instead focussed on childhood IQ and with a big enough sample size sought to show that children with higher IQs were less well-adjusted. However, this says nothing about adult IQs and how adults relate to each other. As most social skills are gained through teenage years through to early adulthood, it's quite a stretch to extend this conclusion to that of adult interaction. The brain isn't fully developed till the age of 24, after all.

There's quite a bit more information and statistics out there, if people would like to go look. But in my preliminary search (I'm not interested enough to look further than google) I haven't seen a study done properly - in a longitudinal fashion, with multiple testing criterion, involving a large enough sample size. The cost is probably prohibitive.

The only reason why I actually went so far as to search out information was to point out that in this thread, all there's been so far is simply assumptions and personal opinion.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    But doesn't it seem to be more likely than chance that two people at similar IQ levels would have other communication-relevant traits in common?

I think IQ similarity MUST positively correlate with communication ability between two people. I'm not making the claim that it's the limiting factor, or even that it's the most important factor. But it's like... similarity on any scale is likely to make communication easier -- why not IQ?
    I agree.

But the question remains about how much the two are correlated.

Does a similarity in IQ make communication any easier than a similarity in liking unicorns?

Until I can find some relevant studies or at least some anecdotal evidence (one where the person actually knows the real IQ of the other), it seems like liking unicorns could make communication easier more than similar IQs would.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    Si
    Socionics
    ESTP

Aslong as neither of the partners are mentally impaired, communication should not be a problem, even when dealing with abstract concepts. Education on said subject should fill the gap. And besides, a person can up their cognitive performance and their ability to comprehend subjects, proven with research. But i think people here put the finger on the important points, interest's/values and commonalities are far more important in communcation then gaps in "intelligence". Something i also want to adress is personality and mental patterns, which may and may not be influenced by said "intelligence".
    "Where can you flee? What road will you use to escape us? Our horses are swift, our arrows sharp, our swords like thunderbolts, our hearts as hard as the mountains, our soldiers as numerous as the sand. Fortresses will not detain us, nor arms stop us. Your prayers to God will not avail against us. We are not moved by tears nor touched by lamentations."

Smile ???????

I've been amazed to discover that some respond to the emotion in my speech but not the ideas.

I like to bounce between the two - sometimes in harmony, sometimes counter-point, and sometimes with humour.

But when I realise they are only hearing the emotion, I back right off and speak only at the emotional level.

And what is amazing is that they don't realise they are only operating at one level. ???????

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    I've been amazed to discover that some respond to the emotion in my speech but not the ideas.

I like to bounce between the two - sometimes in harmony, sometimes counter-point, and sometimes with humour.

But when I realise they are only hearing the emotion, I back right off and speak only at the emotional level.

And what is amazing is that they don't realise they are only operating at one level. ???????
    That's what happens when people can't figure out what you're talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    That's what happens when people can't figure out what you're talking about.
    I like reading books I don't quite understand. And I am permanently on the lookout for new ideas. It's as though a new idea tickles a special part of my brain.

So what's the alternative? The same old, same old? Just repeating the same old ideas and feelings back and forth to one another. Is that all there is?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

So you see the importance of going slightly beyond what you understand but not totally?

Going totally out of the norm is like trying to speak a language to those who don't know the language at all.

It is this overdeviation from what the recipient knows that tends leads to miscommunication.

Then it is different knowledge that causes a lot of the problem, not different IQ.