User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    ISTP

At least one person needs to flex their communicative cognition to match the others'. It has been my personal experience that it is up to the most intelligent to do this or suffer the consequences.

Using statistical methods to translate several personality traits associated with intelligence, Mr. Simonton has compiled IQ estimates for every American president.
    I'm not really convinced by the idea of calculating IQ based on these "traits".

Besides...

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    It's more difficult to have a deep connection, because interests and accumulated knowledge can create big gaps in sharing.
    ... this seems to be pretty accurate.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Damn, really good info. I'll be honest - I'm way too good at rationalizing fear. I need to learn to get over that. Too bad that's hard as shit.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    The point was that communication is an issue. If you wanted to speak to those children about music, communication would be an issue. You wouldn't be able to communicate a lot about what you were thinking.

That is all. How could you even disagree?

It's not about being "better" or any value judgment.
    Everything you've said in this thread contains a value judgement.

Take the different learning styles of visual, auditory and kinesthetic. Does this mean that everyone in one or two categories has predominantly lesser IQs?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Just out of curiosity: Would that be Cattell, Stanford Binet or Wechsler (in the article)?

Not only have there been dozents of discussions on the definition of intelligence and how to measure it but on top of that I find that, more often than not, when I hear Americans mention high scores that sound impressive to my European ear it´s usually in Cattell, not Wechsler. It´s like talking about the weather without saying if you mean Fahrenheit or Celsius!

What else? Oh yeah, if you have trouble communicating your ideas, there are basically 3 options:

1. Hope and pray everybody else changes and suddenly gets you

2. Give up and become a hermit...with a nice little cave of your own and everything, maybe you can build a little computer out of twigs and pebbles

3. See it as a challenge to improve your communication skills and use the opportunity to seee if your ideas really are all that clear and coherent once you free them of the technical babble and express them in simple words. Several philosophy grads among my friend don´t notice when they get caught up in semantics.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I don't really have that much of a problem communicating with anyone who speaks any language that I speak sufficiently... communicating is one of my talents- I can communicate perfectly fine with dumbasses OR geniuses... I am usually one of the most common denominators in the world of communication
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp

I dunno, Night. Aren't you American? Intelligence tends toward precision in speech, leading the average American to the conclusion that you're Some Kind of Queer and not to be trusted.
    Dost thou love Life? Then do not squander Time; for that's the Stuff Life is made of.

-- Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack, June 1746 --

ThatGirl

Wow, old thread.

Actually 15 points can make a huge difference.

I don't have a huge IQ but I still know that is a fact.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    Education level might contribute. Maturity too, but not IQ.
    Let's say I am a very fast runner. What does that have to do with walking with my grandmother to the park? It's all context dependent. What does my IQ have to do with general communication? And shouldn't a bright person be able to aid someone else by understanding their lack of knowledge and gauging your statements accordingly? I think so. I did it all the time when I tutored language or music. I knew more, so it was my obligation to present the information in such a way that the person could assimilate it and learn. You do this by assessing what he/she knows about, and creating metaphors based on that (if possible).
    Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    Edit: re:above guy -- If you are an olympic runner, you probably have to try to walk as slow as a grandma. (Have you ever tried walking half of your normal walking speed? It takes real effort). That's what it's like for the smarter person. It takes effort to translate your ideas such that they'll be understood.
    I think it requires some intelligence to know your audience, and adapt your style of communicating an idea to it. Also, if an intelligent person only acts condescending towards the lesser intelligent person (and here, by intelligent, I mean pertaining to a particular subject or topic), then that person is being put into a disadvantage of not ever gaining anything out of the experience. They aren't being given an opportunity to learn the idea or concept that is being explained. I've always agreed with the school of thought that a person that is highly knowledgeable in any arena, can easily break down an idea or concept and explain simply enough for a 5 year old to understand.

I also think that if you are speaking with someone with a possibly lower iq than oneself, by adapting or speaking more on that level, you are capable of seeing what real intelligence they do have. (Some people remember facts, and therefore know shit. Others don't retain that type of information, and may therefore be ignorant towards a topic... yet, they may be quick to grasp and comprehend.) And same when I speak with people of higher intelligence than myself... if they are condescending or try to belittle me, I can't possibly gain anything from the experience, nor will they see anything of worth in me as they aren't even offering me an opportunity to show what intelligence I do have.

However, I don't give much to scores and numbers on IQ tests. There are many different types of intelligence.
    "I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green