• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

At what age did you learn how to play chess ?

At what age did you learn how to play chess ?

• Total voters

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I learned to play chess like I learned to play every OTHER game with my brothers. (4 and 8 years older than me) We would start playing and they would checkmate me.

In games where more than 2 people were needed (risk, monopoly... etc) they would set me up and then dump me out of the game as early as possible. It took me a while as a 20 something to figure out why I knew so many games but never knew how to win any.

Usehername

On a mission
I learned the rules when I was small, but I didn't care enough to play more than once or twice a year (and never learned enough strategy to compete with "real" players). Just last night ENFP dad taught me skills--he's a very strong player (had an INTJ older brother who made him learn so he could have a competitor).

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Pretty young...

ISTJ dad who memorized an algorithm for beating the game, and it works 90% of the time :-D

Queen Kat

The Duchess of Oddity
MBTI Type
E.T.
Enneagram
7w8
I learned it when I was 10. I read about it in the Harry Potter books (yes, I AM embarrassed) so I decided to learn it as well. And when I finally got the game I got tired of it very quickly. Games get boring very quickly to me.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Maybe capability to understand and play chess can be an indicator for young children, it shows faster development in terms of logic and abstraction (thinking ahead for various combinations of moves and plotting strategy)... but the absence of learning it doesn't really mean much, since there's many reasons people might not have learned aside from not having the capability to.

I am aware of this. However towards my subjective opnion children that are good in skills needed for learning how to play have a much larger probability to gravitate towards it.

For example after chess I swiched to Dune 2 (the first real time strategy ever)

I mean I was quite fascinated with the concept of creating a economy need for supporting warfare, infrastructure construction, the diversity of armed units at your disposal, politics behind the conflict etc......

However I was kid at the moment. (in the most literal sense of the word. )

I mean untill I found out that I am expressed INTJ I simply could not explain to myself all the stuff I have in my head. So I am wondering about how this went in the case of others. (nothing more)

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
My father tried to teach me at age 10-11. I understood the rules well enough, but I was never all that interested in the game.

So now, I don't really know how to play.

BlueGray

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I learned at a young age since my INTJ mom taught me a bunch of strategy games when I was young. I spent quite a a bit of time playing and learning. I stopped at around 11 or 12 or so.

In high school, some of my friends started picking up the game. I started playing with them and was surprised at how vastly different the way they were learning it was to how I had. They learned through specific maneuvers and studying of games. I had learned essentially through trial and error, experience, and simple intuition.

InfiniteIntrigue

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
sp
Is it embarrassing to say I never learned to play chess?
I wasn't interested lol.
I preferred video games :p

Lily Bart

MBTI Type
INFP
I used to beg my father to play and he'd say I was too young -- he finally did when I was maybe ten or eleven. I still remember the first time I beat him -- many, many games later -- he wasn't the sort to let me win -- I really had to earn it!

Synthetic Darkness

I was 7 and I learned only so I could beat my brother at another game, I was pretty competitive when I was younger.

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
I learned when I was in second grade...so I was probably around eight.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
I learnt it two times.
First time I was around 6 or something... My father taught me a variant where check was enough to win. I remember checkmating my father on a big outside chess board; the pieces were almost as tall as me.
I forgot about it.
I learnt it again when I was around 16. I still can't play it well - I prefer games with simpler rules.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Have yet to learn to play chess, although it is much more likely I never will. Never interested me enough to even read the rules.

I know there's something called check which is, surprisingly, often followed by a checkmate. Which always annoyed me, if you put someone in check, and can't see they can put you in checkmate, you shouldn't be playing chess. But what do I know, don't even know what check and checkmate are.

So basicly, I know everything hollywood teaches you about chess.

I never cared much about any boardgame.I played monopoly once or twice. And stratego a few times, that's about it.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
no idea, but i was very young for sure

GHC

MBTI Type
INFP
I leaned how to play chess when I was 14 years, two years ago when I joined the chess Club of my school.

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
hehe...I've been taught several times. Then I play half-heartedly for a little while, and forget again. I'm not sure how old I was the first time I tried, probably eight or something? The sad thing is, my dad is a former chess champion (not Grand Master or anything...though he did get to play Bobby Fischer once...but he was provincial champion in Canada a couple of times). His daughter is USELESS. Frankly, I was never even that good at stuff like checkers. My mind does not work in that strategic games way. Even with card games, especially when I was younger, friends would explain a game to me and they'd be like "Ok, so you do this, this and this, and the point is this! Let's go!" Then I would say "can you explain that all again...very slowly...and demonstrate at the same time" :D and they would look at me like "aren't you supposed to be smart?"

Snow Turtle

Have yet to learn to play chess, although it is much more likely I never will. Never interested me enough to even read the rules.

I know there's something called check which is, surprisingly, often followed by a checkmate. Which always annoyed me, if you put someone in check, and can't see they can put you in checkmate, you shouldn't be playing chess. But what do I know, don't even know what check and checkmate are.

So basicly, I know everything hollywood teaches you about chess.

I never cared much about any boardgame.I played monopoly once or twice. And stratego a few times, that's about it.

Constantly checking the other person can be a fun and annoying tactic, because it forces them to move something. >_>

Think I dabbled with it when I was around 10? I think the HAX of the 4 checkmate move got me hooked on the game, since I liked having tricks up my sleeves. Course after a while it stopped working, when people could see the trick easily, which forced me to play properly. :(

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
LOL.

In Kindergarten, I had a rich friend who used to invite me over to his mansion. We'd play chess all of the time in his dungeon. It was amazing, because he had a huge long table with a throne-like chair at the end, and we'd take turns sitting in it.

But after I moved away, I didn't play chess anymore.

Now, 11 years later, I've began to pick it up again.

compulsiverambler

Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Possibly thanks to this thread, but I can't remember, the subject of chess came up at friend's house several days ago and the next day someone brought a board round and they all tried to teach me. Now I'm reading up on it myself. So my answer is no longer true, I'm learning aged 20+, though perhaps only because this thread put the thought in my mind. :)