User Tag List

View Poll Results: At what age did you learn how to play chess ?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll

0 0%

2 3.64%

7 12.73%

5 9.09%

6 10.91%

4 7.27%

1 1.82%

4 7.27%

3 5.45%

4 7.27%

0 0%

2 3.64%

1 1.82%

1 1.82%

0 0%

0 0%

0 0%
  • 20+

1 1.82%
  • I don't know how to play chess

11 20.00%
  • I can't remember to be honest

3 5.45%
First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

I learned to play chess like I learned to play every OTHER game with my brothers. (4 and 8 years older than me) We would start playing and they would checkmate me.

In games where more than 2 people were needed (risk, monopoly... etc) they would set me up and then dump me out of the game as early as possible. It took me a while as a 20 something to figure out why I knew so many games but never knew how to win any.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

I learned the rules when I was small, but I didn't care enough to play more than once or twice a year (and never learned enough strategy to compete with "real" players). Just last night ENFP dad taught me skills--he's a very strong player (had an INTJ older brother who made him learn so he could have a competitor).
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6

Pretty young...

ISTJ dad who memorized an algorithm for beating the game, and it works 90% of the time :-D

The Duchess of Oddity Queen Kat's Avatar
    MBTI
    E.T.
    Enneagram
    7w8

I learned it when I was 10. I read about it in the Harry Potter books (yes, I AM embarrassed) so I decided to learn it as well. And when I finally got the game I got tired of it very quickly. Games get boring very quickly to me.
    I was sitting outside the classroom waiting to go in, and I saw an airplane hit the tower. The TV was obviously on. I used to fly myself and I said, "There's one terrible pilot."
    - George W. Bush -

SCUAI - 7w8 sx/sp - Chaotic Evil - Fucking Cute - ALIVE

Blog. Read it, bitches.
    Questions? Click here
    If you don't agree about my MBTI type, you can complain about it here. I've had plenty of people telling me I'm something else, in my reputation box. That's annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Maybe capability to understand and play chess can be an indicator for young children, it shows faster development in terms of logic and abstraction (thinking ahead for various combinations of moves and plotting strategy)... but the absence of learning it doesn't really mean much, since there's many reasons people might not have learned aside from not having the capability to.
    I am aware of this. However towards my subjective opnion children that are good in skills needed for learning how to play have a much larger probability to gravitate towards it.

For example after chess I swiched to Dune 2 (the first real time strategy ever)

I mean I was quite fascinated with the concept of creating a economy need for supporting warfare, infrastructure construction, the diversity of armed units at your disposal, politics behind the conflict etc......

However I was kid at the moment. (in the most literal sense of the word. )

I mean untill I found out that I am expressed INTJ I simply could not explain to myself all the stuff I have in my head. So I am wondering about how this went in the case of others. (nothing more)

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

My father tried to teach me at age 10-11. I understood the rules well enough, but I was never all that interested in the game.

So now, I don't really know how to play.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

I learned at a young age since my INTJ mom taught me a bunch of strategy games when I was young. I spent quite a a bit of time playing and learning. I stopped at around 11 or 12 or so.

In high school, some of my friends started picking up the game. I started playing with them and was surprised at how vastly different the way they were learning it was to how I had. They learned through specific maneuvers and studying of games. I had learned essentially through trial and error, experience, and simple intuition.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp

Is it embarrassing to say I never learned to play chess?
    I wasn't interested lol.
    I preferred video games :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Fools who wear their hearts proudly on their sleeves,
    who cannot control their emotions, who wallow in sad
    memories and allow themselves to be provoked this
    easily -- weak people, in other words -- they stand no chance."
    -Severus Snape

MBTI
    INFJ

I used to beg my father to play and he'd say I was too young -- he finally did when I was maybe ten or eleven. I still remember the first time I beat him -- many, many games later -- he wasn't the sort to let me win -- I really had to earn it!

I was 7 and I learned only so I could beat my brother at another game, I was pretty competitive when I was younger.
    Men are like parking spaces/the good ones are always taken and the ones left are handicapped or to small.