User Tag List

12 Last

Mud and rain and chaos... TickTock's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3

Default Letting go of childhood

Do you think you have or are you still living with a firm grasp on it? I don't think either is good or bad, there are pros and cons to both.
    ~ Truth ~ Freedom ~ Health ~ Love ~ Communication ~ Humor ~ Respect ~

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I'm one of those people who believe in the power of remembering childhood and ones earlier selves. I am comforted by things which remind me of my very early childhood. I also think it's important to stay in touch with your child self, too, for sanity and happiness, so you don't get too caught up in the bullshit of being an adult.

Of course I say this after going through a short period where I made a firm break from childhood for several years. I think that letting go is necessary to an extent -- I mean, I think you do have to grow up. It's like you have to break away, and then you can come back and reconnect with it as an adult to be more balanced, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by TickTock View Post
    Do you think you have or are you still living with a firm grasp on it? I don't think either is good or bad, there are pros and cons to both.
    Of course it is necessary to let go of childhood to take up one's rights and responsibilities.

And the only thing nicer than childhood is our second childhood, where not only can we enjoy the delights of childhood once again but we can do so with all the rights and responsibilites of maturity.

In other words in our second childhood we can have our cake and eat it too.

Phantonym

I've never made any conscious effort to either have a hold of or let go of my childhood. The transition just happened, naturally and painlessly. I was mature for my age when I was a child and a teenager anyway.

My childhood seems like a blur now, I never really remember that many details about anything but I mainly have a positive feeling about it. However, I believe I do have a realistic idea of it, and not some suppressed delusion.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I still act pretty much the same way I did as a child.

The thing is, I behaved very much like an adult even as a child. There's not much there to let go of. I was never really a child. About the only childish thing I've held onto is video games, and considering how few kids like to play RPGs, that's debatable.

The only direction I could go in to let go of who I was as a child, would be to behave more childishly now, because I always fought so hard to seem mature and intelligent.

Phantonym

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    The only direction I could go in to let go of who I was as a child, would be to behave more childishly now, because I always fought so hard to seem mature and intelligent.
    Exactly! I can relate. No, wait, I'm doing it. Well, online at least.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

I don't think you can ever let go of your childhood because it's part of you. You can only suppress it.
    Here's a really nice article about your inner child.
    The Inner Child An Introduction to Dialoguing | Personal Development - UrbanMonk.Net

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    The thing is, I behaved very much like an adult even as a child. There's not much there to let go of. I was never really a child. About the only childish thing I've held onto is video games, and considering how few kids like to play RPGs, that's debatable.
    You stole this from my diary.

I am so much more a child now.

Same here. Never had a childhood as such, and what things I did that were "child-like" I still do: video games, cartoons, skateboarding... though there are plenty of those things actually aimed at adults these days anyway. The actual mentality of childhood, I don't recall ever having to the same degree as other kids my age, or as my own kids do.
    I'm male and over 30, FYI.
    Preferences: 20% Extravert, 98% Intuitive, 68% Thinker, 17% Perceiving

Mud and rain and chaos... TickTock's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3

Quote Originally Posted by Ragingkatsuki View Post
    I don't think you can ever let go of your childhood because it's part of you. You can only suppress it.
    Here's a really nice article about your inner child.
    The Inner Child An Introduction to Dialoguing | Personal Development - UrbanMonk.Net
    Interesting read.
    ~ Truth ~ Freedom ~ Health ~ Love ~ Communication ~ Humor ~ Respect ~