• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How do you memorize/recall information?

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I was recently trying to memorize some formulae-dense pages and at the same time researching on the internet ways to speed up the process. Somehow I stumbled upon this article:

Eidetic memory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Eidetic memory as observed in children is typified by the ability of an individual to study an image for approximately 30 seconds, and maintain a nearly perfect photographic memory of that image for a short time once it has been removed--indeed such eidetikers claim to "see" the image on the blank canvas as vividly and in as perfect detail as if it were still there.

And I remembered that I am renewed among my friends for being able to tell the faces of girls in every detail and recall every little defect after having seen them for just a brief while. So I told myself, instead of trying to memorize everything via words and conceptualization, why not just shooting pics of pages in my mind? I tried, and much to my suprise, it's fucking been working and helping me immensely

OctaviaCaesar

MBTI Type
INFJ
Memorization Techniques

I use flashcards to help create mental pictures for memories, but my brain seems not to be as quick and efficient as yours. I know I am a very visual learner, and I have to see it in order to memorize it quickly.
For remembering abstract things like the genders of new words in a string of vocabulary words in a foreign language, I use the Roman Room Technique. Remembering Information With the Roman Room Technique - Mind Tools Mnemonic Systems I think that many of the other ideas at this same site are good--main page here: Mind Tools - Self-Study Management Training, Career Training, Leadership Training and Career Coaching.

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I am capable of remembering sequences by picturing them in my mind -- for example, I can still recite the twenty-digit number that emerged from the test that Ygolo forwarded.

While comprehension of more complicated information requires rote, and takes longer than thirty seconds, retention seems to last years.

Zergling

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ExTJ
I tend to just read things over several times, not trying to control what gets absorbed. After a few times I usually have things mostly memorized, and i can move on to the details that haven't stuck for some reason.

It also helps a lot of whatever I'm memorizing has a pattern to it. (For example, if math or science equations are derived from the same source, and I can remember in general how the derivation works.) It also helps if I can "visualize" what I'm memorizing somehow (Whether by directly remembering the image on a page, or by remembering some some concept that describes that I'm trying to memorize.)

Kobato

MBTI Type
INFP
Ack! I am so jealous of your capabilities. I would think that one with an eidetic memory would realize their gift sooner, though. How strange, I wonder why you never thought to tap into this ability for academic purposes until now?

I have never really given it any thought as to how I retain information... I doze often in class, yet as if out of thin air information reaches me as I am taking an exam. I have never officially sat down and studied anything before, so I wonder, I wonder. It feels as though my mind is a tape recorder of some sort, and I can replay words whenever I feel like it. Of course, if I have absolutely no interest the subject, I am quick to block out words and explanations. Even so, sometimes information somehow takes up residence in my head. Especially abstract concepts, they seem to lodge themselves somewhere in my mind. I could probably go on for hours about this, as I have never really explored my memory before, merely taken it for granted. Heehee, I'll just stop here. :D

Varelse

Wait, what?
MBTI Type
INTJ
I have to do something with it. Most things auditory I forget, I can't remember a tune, or what I was told to do five minutes ago.

Visual things I remember a bit better...powerpoint presentations, periodic table, the exact layout of maps...yes, I remember most of the Myst island layout...and I haven't played that game for years.

Overall, I learn best by doing something. By messing around with the computer, having to draw things in class, chemistry lab, etc.

Also, I can remember many things I read, especially storylines. I'll remember the plot from books I read years ago, even though I may have read hundreds of books since then.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
yeah- I'm kind of mystified as to how I learn things- I usually don't pay all that much attention in class, and when I buy my textbooks (the damned things are expensive!) I rarely have time to read them except at work, but I always know the answers to things on exams and when I get asked a question in class. My family and friends are usually impressed that I can memorize things without really studying :D

I guess that if it's not broke, why bother fixing it?

(I always learned math by having someone explain WHY I have to do things in that order though)

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I can forget something I've only seen directly, but I seem to remember things I hear for a while after I've heard them (even if I mentally spoke them to myself as I was reading.) If I want to remember something, I sometimes have to say it to myself in my mind. I also find it easier to understand something that's been explained to me via words rather than pictures. I've always struggled with graphs.

Another odd thing is that I can often remember the meaning or significance of something, what it does, and what it was related to, but forget what it was called.

I have tested as an auditory learner, which makes sense to me.

The only visual thing I tend to experience is that I as I hear something spoken, I seem to quickly imagine it in written form. And when I read something, I tend to imagine what it sounds like verbally. It's kind of weird.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Flash cards or quiz myself as I can't stand re reading things. I don't remember them either. So I do flash cards and keep going through them until I can go through the whole stack looking at both sides of the card.

For formula's though I had to apply them to remember them.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Ack! I am so jealous of your capabilities. I would think that one with an eidetic memory would realize their gift sooner, though. How strange, I wonder why you never thought to tap into this ability for academic purposes until now?

Aehm. I never actually really opened my books much until now...and teacher also always suggested different methods of acquiring informations. I remember when I was in middle school I used this for science formulaes, but since HS was mostly composed by business, law, and maths classes I didn't need any particular technique.

BTW thanks for the roman room technique page! Gonna try it now.

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
I tend to create scenarios of what I'm reading in an active manner. Strangely though when it comes to test the information comes flooding back by little detective methods like hmm what day was it we did this, what was that sheet we had, what was the unit, what was she going on about, where'd I read that. My straight rote recall is pathetic but I can recreate situations and recall the general "story" of the specific chapter, handout, or lecture.

I'm extremely good at recalling actual debates and conversations I've had, a tactic I always bring out in debates and confrontations when someones bullshitting. Maybe thats why I would always seek out arguments and get sent to the principles office when I was younger. I like don't understand the concept of memorizing though, recall I can wrap my head around but its more elaboration on something in the past it lacks accuracy but it's more than enough for me to reason and derive accurate answers from it.

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
i glance over stuff very quickly and then intuitively try to figure it out on the test lol...it sorta works