User Tag List

12311 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 144

  1. #1
    Listening Oaky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None
    Posts
    6,168

    Default Is logic limited?

    Is human logic limited?
    How about animal logic?

  2. #2
    Protocol Droid Athenian200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    8,828

    Default

    Human logic is limited.

    Animals don't use logic, they use instinct. And yes, their instincts are limited in applicability.

  3. #3
    Listening Oaky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None
    Posts
    6,168

    Default

    ^ If this is true then can truth go beyond human logic?

  4. #4
    Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    3,377

    Default

    Logic is the ultimate example of "what you get out of it depends on what you put into it."
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

  5. #5

  6. #6
    Protocol Droid Athenian200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    8,828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragingkatsuki View Post
    ^ If this is true then can truth go beyond human logic?
    Not only that, but true/false, and even the concept of things having a single place on a scale, may not even exist in the way we conceive of it. It may very well be that every possible reality and every possible course of events in all those realities, already exist and are all somehow intertwined yet separate.

    In other words, it's possible that the nature of reality actually contradicts itself and is paradoxical, but that we can't understand the aspects of it that are like this well enough to manipulate them or interact with them because of the way our minds work.

  7. #7
    The High Priestess Amargith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi
    Posts
    14,656

    Default

    Animal logic works just like ours, their capacity for it is just smaller (as far as we know). It goes back to learning principles.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★





    "Harm none, do as ye will”

  8. #8
    Listening Oaky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None
    Posts
    6,168

    Default

    ^ I see... Interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Not only that, but true/false, and even the concept of things having a single place on a scale, may not even exist in the way we conceive of it. It may very well be that every possible reality and every possible course of events in all those realities, already exist and are all somehow intertwined yet separate.

    In other words, it's possible that the nature of reality actually contradicts itself and is paradoxical, but that we can't understand the aspects of it that are like this well enough to manipulate them or interact with them because of the way our minds work.
    This is something I like. Therefore logic must be limited.

  9. #9
    Protocol Droid Athenian200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    8,828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    Animal logic works just like ours, their capacity for it is just smaller (as far as we know). It goes back to learning principles.
    No, no. Animals have EMOTIONS and INSTINCTS, and they feel pain, but they don't have LOGIC. Logic came when we evolved a neocortex. No animal besides an ape has even a simpler version of logic.

  10. #10
    The High Priestess Amargith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi
    Posts
    14,656

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    No, no. Animals have EMOTIONS and INSTINCTS, and they feel pain, but they don't have LOGIC. Logic came when we evolved a neocortex. No animal besides an ape has even a simpler version of logic.
    Ok..either our definition of logic is different, or we disagree. What I mean is, an animal has the capacity to see that a+b=c. Aka, there's food on the table, getting the food is self-rewarding, but the owner is in the room which= punishment. So the animal waits till the owner is gone to get the food and thus having its cake(or meat) and eat it. It's called operant conditioning.

    Other examples are for instance when researchers present the animal with a puzzle or riddle to get to a food reward they really like. They may not be as good at it as we are, but up to a certain level, they figure it out, and often they surprise us with their ingenuity.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★





    "Harm none, do as ye will”

Similar Threads

  1. How Important Is Logical Consistency In Your Beliefs?
    By Crabs in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 09-15-2015, 10:58 PM
  2. Is LOGIC the ultimate authority?
    By Spurgeon in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 175
    Last Post: 12-28-2011, 08:25 AM
  3. When is logic...
    By ThatGirl in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 05-27-2010, 12:49 PM
  4. Which one is the most logical choice ?
    By Virtual ghost in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: 01-25-2010, 03:01 PM
  5. What is logic?
    By ygolo in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 05-31-2009, 05:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO