• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Have you ever known someone who committed homicide?

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
What is your understanding of why they did it?

(Yes, I'm shamelessly copying Economica. Her thread gave me the idea, and got me curious.)

G

Ginkgo

What is your understanding of why they did it?

(Yes, I'm shamelessly copying Economica. Her thread gave me the idea, and got me curious.)

Probably, but I never knew about it. In all likelihood, those are the people that make me feel like something is missing from them. As if their behavior isn't completely explained. Mostly normal, but hiding something in insecurity. This describes only a couple of individuals who I have acquainted; and they may not be murderers at all.

Even so, their general disposition irks me.

EDIT: This is an intriguing query, nevertheless.

P

Phantonym

No. But who knows what thoughts people really have. Maybe we're all homicidal at one point or another. Fortunately, most don't act on their thoughts.

ygolo

My termites win
No not personally. But one of my sister's close friend's mother was murdered by her husband. It was in our neighborhood.

Domestic violence, in general, is horrible. When I hear about it, I always feel like some form of homicide could be the end result. I can't imagine what it was like for the children.

I also met someone who had thoughts of killing her baby due to postpartum depression. She got help, thank goodness.

I wish I could say I have no idea why people murder. But if I look deep into the darker side of myself, it is just a small step to loose control, and submit to anger or unjustified fear, at that point...after you loose control, what happens?

Premeditation? Well again, I would like to say I have little idea how it works...but I do have a theory. I think, at base, it is a loss of seeing the other person as a person. Murderers rob their victims of their humanity, first, in their minds, then in real life. If the victims are not seen as living, feeling, thinking human beings, then the murder can be justified in their minds.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Premeditation? Well again, I would like to say I have little idea how it works...but I do have a theory. I think, at base, it is a loss of seeing the other person as a person. Murderers rob their victims of their humanity, first, in their minds, then in real life. If the victims are not seen as living, feeling, thinking human beings, then the murder can be justified in their minds.

So, basically, it becomes like hunting an animal for them at that point?

That's pretty weird. But it does remind me of this really creepy nightmare I had after reading about the Holocaust and wondering how people could do such things... where I dreamed I was a Nazi, and I was doing all of the heinous things they did, but to dogs infected with some kind of dangerous plague rather than human beings. I actually saw myself as protecting people from the dogs, completely unaware that I could possibly be doing anything wrong.

ygolo

My termites win
So, basically, it becomes like hunting an animal for them at that point?

That's pretty weird. But it does remind me of this really creepy nightmare I had after reading about the Holocaust and wondering how people could do such things... where I dreamed I was a Nazi, and I was doing all of the heinous things they did, but to dogs infected with some kind of dangerous plague rather than human beings.

An animal, insect, vermin, object or whatever.

I don't think it is always explicit. A religious terrorist and martyr, for example, could be so focused on his/her martyrdom, that not much heed is paid to the actual people they will be killing in the process. The victims are just part of the background for them at that point.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Yes, but not voluntarily. He crashed with the car on a guy that was cycling. Pretty fucked up, I mean, obviously one person was dead, but he was sent in prison for 3 years for it and he was a totally OK guy.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yeah...depending on how you wanna look at it. I'm pretty sure she already helped a couple of people in the old retirement home she works at....shall we say 'along'?

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Yeah at least one for sure. Although it was some exteme sitituation and an overreaction; they still called it premeditated (shooting). He looked like everybody else. Actually looked more like a scared kid.
There are those I have met who have the assassins stare (and good reasons to believed they have killed). Those ones with dead eyes creep me out.

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
Yes, I know (or know... I haven't seen him in several years) someone who spent something like 12 years in prison for homicide but I don't know why he did it. He never talked about it.

laintpe

Summer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Yeah. When I was in fourth grade my 18 year old neighbor had a psychotic break.. he'd been up for who-knows-how-many days after taking meth. He, his brother, and his dad were hunters and had quite a few guns in the house. He killed his grandma by smashing her head with a chair and then shot his parents and grandma 7-10 times each. His brother, Scott.. 16 at the time, came home to all of it... but by then Shawn had come down from his break and just told Scott that he was going to "take care of him from now on". Scott got out by telling him he was going to get him a pack of cigarettes... walked around for an hour (what we were told) and then called the police. The family was strange and dysfunctional. Shawn seemed to really resent their religious upbringing.. Jehovah's Witnesses I think... but so did Scott... Shawn just had something really off about him. In elementary school counselors had told his parents he needed help, but they wouldn't address it. He was a hard worker despite all of it... while he was in prison some guy from his church (I don't know if they call them pastors?)... started visiting him.. Shawn wrote a letter to my dad saying he was going to "make up for it"... he hung himself in prison.. I don't know if that was what he originally intended.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I believe so.
Life insurance.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Yeah. When I was in fourth grade my 18 year old neighbor had a psychotic break.. he'd been up for who-knows-how-many days after taking meth. He, his brother, and his dad were hunters and had quite a few guns in the house. He killed his grandma by smashing her head with a chair and then shot his parents and grandma 7-10 times each. His brother, Scott.. 16 at the time, came home to all of it... but by then Shawn had come down from his break and just told Scott that he was going to "take care of him from now on". Scott got out by telling him he was going to get him a pack of cigarettes... walked around for an hour (what we were told) and then called the police. The family was strange and dysfunctional. Shawn seemed to really resent their religious upbringing.. Jehovah's Witnesses I think... but so did Scott... Shawn just had something really off about him. In elementary school counselors had told his parents he needed help, but they wouldn't address it. He was a hard worker despite all of it... while he was in prison some guy from his church (I don't know if they call them pastors?)... started visiting him.. Shawn wrote a letter to my dad saying he was going to "make up for it"... he hung himself in prison.. I don't know if that was what he originally intended.

Wow! Heavy story! (and well told +1)

Charmed Justice

Nickle Iron Silicone
MBTI Type
INFJ
Yes. A lady who worked as my mother's secretary used to occasionally look after me when I was around 7. A few years before meeting us, she'd killed a little girl that she adopted via poisoning. She was taking on a false identity and fleeing punishment in her original state of residence when we knew her.

Atomic Fiend

Yes. A lady who worked as my mother's secretary used to occasionally look after me when I was around 7. A few years before meeting us, she'd killed a little girl that she adopted via poisoning. She was taking on a false identity and fleeing punishment in her original state of residence when we knew her.
Wow.