• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Leadership role

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Do you like being in the leadership or management role? (in whatever context) Why or why not?
Would you seek it, choose it voluntarily, accept it at others' request, or try to avoid it?

Responsibility and management: How do you feel about bearing responsibility for so many processes? What do you like and dislike about this?

What about delegating tasks to other people, and making decisions about priorities and plans of action involving those other people? "Management" in that sense of the word.

I have never really been in a leadership position for anything, or managed anything except my own stuff. I'm not really sure how to approach it, not sure whether I'd like it. It would be nice to "try it out" in some kind of testing ground, but doing that in an important position seems too risky a way to try a first-time effort. :unsure:

Last edited:

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
We INTJ's do not go looking for leadership postitions. We take over when current leadership is unacceptable. Or so I'm told. I have no desire to take a management position at work. I do well enough with people but it requires a special kind of person who isn't exausted by subordinates and eventually resentful of them. I don't want to do that to them or myself so no; Home is another story. I don't have an issue with that sort of management.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
Do you like being in the leadership or management role? (in whatever context) Why or why not?
Would you seek it, choose it voluntarily, accept it at others' request, or try to avoid it?

I haven't really been in a leadership/management role too often, and I honestly don't think I would like it. It seems like too much responsibility, plus you have to tell people what to do (at least a little bit), and that's really not my strong point. But the fact that it's probably a lot of responsibility would make me avoid it.

I would not willingly seek it out. If someone requested me to accept it, I guess I would, of course it would depend on what my options are. If life becomes easier after getting the position, then why not?

Responsibility and management: How do you feel about bearing responsibility for so many processes? What do you like and dislike about this?

Exactly - the responsibility itself is what I dislike. The security is probably would I would like, if I'm in a position which is secure. The power would also be something good, because I guess I'm in more of a position to do whatever I want.

P

Phantonym

No, I don't like it. I can do it for a short while but the stess involved is really not worth the trouble. I'm a bit of a perfectionist. Ok, I'm a control freak when it comes to myself. I have no problems with taking responsibility for my own actions as I try to do the best I can to meet my own standards and get the job done.

With others it's such a hassle. Being responsible for other people whom I can't control or fully trust is exhausting. But it also depends on the people I'm working with, if they are to be trusted and they form a team, if there is mutual respect, then I might consider taking the lead.

I'd rather work on my own, for myself, without any superiors or subordinates.

I would definitely not seek it. But I wouldn't say that I'd go out of my way to avoid it either. I would choose it voluntarily or accept it if others request it if I see that there is already a good team/I can choose the people in the team or if things are really getting out of hand and I could make a difference.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I don't mind it either way, though I frequently see more efficient ways of doing things from a lower level, so I'd rather experience jobs from the lower level and then move up.. That way I see it from all angles.

If I'm not in a leadership position, I have no problem pointing out or suggesting things to help out everyone until I am.

Ulaes

loopy
MBTI Type
crak
Enneagram
sax
management...erm, no. im not the right kind of person for it and im usually not that good at it. it goes against who i am.
as intp, if i can't work alone im faced two horrible options, to be bossed around or to control others. which one i choose depends on my mood and energy levels at the time. if someone asks me to manage something i will but im still a poor manager.
i don't have a problem with responsibility, i'm pretty strong, i can take it. so i suppose in that sense, i could be a good manager. i like it when things are getting chaotic, i can take the stress and not even an invasion of zombies is going to make me loose my head. i notice that's what happens when things get scary, i become leader and manager, even if its only because im the only competent one left.
but all this being said, at work, i seem to wind up in big sister roles with the younger ones which has a managerial element to it. they latch onto me personally. But the older girls end up taking the mother role with me as im just a disaster zone. im not in need of a role model but i do need someone to help me organize myself and give me a direction in which to channel my energy. i have a pretty funny relationship with an ISTJ girl, who does these things for me while shaking her head at my silly jokes. even the ESFP takes that role with me, somewhat.
leadership seems to come naturally to me. i lead people through my ideas. its not a role i consciously seek, it's one i will often see myself playing if i look back at a situation.
but enough about me :D

I have never really been in a leadership position for anything, or managed anything except my own stuff. I'm not really sure how to approach it, not sure whether I'd like it. It would be nice to "try it out" in some kind of testing ground, but doing that in an important position seems too risky a way to try a first-time effort.

Js aren't leaders, they're managers. as a J you should naturally have a managers brain. But because you're an I you may have to learn coping mechanisms to deal with larger group of people. EJs are the managers of us all. Haven't you noticed already, whether or not your controlling in small group situations? the ISTJs i know are can't help but bloom when it comes to details and order which is a strength when it comes to control.
And everyone screws up the first time, anyway, so chillout.

Last edited:

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Whatever the area, I learned it must be a process that gives me pleasure outside of "strictly management". I could possibly see myself in a leadership role, if it was in a creative endeavor but it's a question that for me is always very context dependent. I don't feel like I'd make a good leader in the traditional sense unless I had a certain degree of freedom and personal attachment to said project.

I could see myself as a movie director for example, working towards my vision of things and letting people under me contribute, but if I had all kinds of producers being a pain in my arse, it would possibly feel too limited.

That is why, huge projects/companies rarely appeal to me. A more familial setting is needed for certain things. And in such an environment I could very well deal with responsibility provided my stamp was supposed to be all over the place.

Ingrid in grids

I'd certainly never avoid it. I'd be most likely to accept it at others' request. Sometimes I'll choose it voluntarily, and I have even sought it a few times, which made me feel kind of :unsure:... I suppose I wanted to prove something to myself.
There's a big difference between management and leadership. Management's all about maintenance - maintaining the group's efficiency and completing tasks. Managers will coordinate activity underneath them and have a group work towards a task for the sake of getting the task done. A leader will motivate people to work towards something purely because they want to, and because in a sense, they feel like they're doing it for themselves - self-interest and interest for the group become more or less the same thing. Leadership's less about maintaining and more about improving... I guess there's more of a 'vision' in mind. The objectives of leadership are to achieve group cohesion and a synergetic feel.
I like leadership and I like management conditionally... it depends on the task. One often ends up encompassing the other anyway.

The responsibility doesn't hassle me. If it does, it's often my fault for micro-managing:doh:. It's best when everyone feels equally responsible, even if that's not really the case :).
Ummm, what I don't like is when the leadership role becomes not so much about leading or the work you're doing, but more about presenting as some kind of figurehead (I'm in one of those now... :doh:). I'm better in a vice/second-in-command kind of role, which I gravitate towards anyway.

I have never really been in a leadership position for anything, or managed anything except my own stuff. I'm not really sure how to approach it, not sure whether I'd like it. It would be nice to "try it out" in some kind of testing ground, but doing that in an important position seems too risky a way to try a first-time effort. :unsure:
Leadership doesn't always mean being on top. It's about the influence you have over people (which is best and most effectively exerted in subtle ways, like leading by example), and whether they turn to you for direction. I've been in group situations where the people underneath have demonstrated more leadership that the 'leaders' up top. It's very interesting to watch. People will pick up on leadership and yield to a good leader no matter where they are. Sometimes they even do this without even noticing.
If you're interested in going for a management role... I would begin with taking on some more responsibility, making this known to your superior, and demonstrating that you can get tasks done quickly and efficiently.
If you're interested in leadership, get to know your group and think of ways that you could motivate them to love what they're doing.
Good luck with it!

Js aren't leaders, they're managers. as a J you should naturally have a managers brain.
:nono:

Take Five

Supreme Allied Commander
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I like to have a leadership role when there is something that needs to get done. Perhaps because I know I can get things done, and don't trust anybody else to catch all the important details.

It's worthwhile to consider that there are different personal styles of leadership, some styles are better for certain situations.

For instance, I would not fit the role of book club leader, or support/berievement group leader. I tend to fit a hierarchical model of leadership rather than a collaborative model. I like taking the lead in situations where something must get done--work/objective leadership over recreational leadership, which you might see in the captain of a sports team.

MBTI Type
INTJ
I always wish to have a leadership position as long as I have the knowledge base and experience required to make sound decisions. I don't overtly pursue leadership though, I prefer to be more circumspect about it because I think angling for a leadership position is the best way to start off on the wrong foot with those you are leading.

Alpha Prime

MBTI Type
XXXX
Enneagram
XXXX
I don't go for the leadership role, if I don't give a rat's ass about the people I'm working with, or my team mates are incompetent. In those cases I won't even be in the team. Else, the leadership role is mine.

Ingrid in grids

see, you're doing it already!
kidding.
i originally had "TJ", is that more correct?

Maybe. I don't know too many TJs, but it seems in theory they'd make great managers. I know two ENTJs: one is fantastic at delegating yet the other's terrible. Then again, I think the former frightens her team into doing their job :laugh:.

As for leading - Fe!

Fecal McAngry

I would not fit the role of book club leader, or support/berievement group leader. I tend to fit a hierarchical model of leadership rather than a collaborative model. I like taking the lead in situations where something must get done--work/objective leadership over recreational leadership, which you might see in the captain of a sports team.

Precisely why ISTJs are so drawn to the US military...and so successful in it...

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
What about delegating tasks to other people, and making decisions about priorities and plans of action involving those other people? "Management" in that sense of the word.

I think I might do well with these, because I think I do them well for my own tasks, and I also can see where things could be handled more efficiently. But there are always those who will disagree when carrying out these plans, and who is to say they are wrong? There is the element of listening for advice and possibility for improvement, and the judgment of what to ignore--and then the way to communicate and navigate those properly to the people you're working with. :shock:

"Leadership by example" is the phrase I best relate to so far.

For those wondering, I am not seeking or being asked for a leadership or management role, but I notice that when such roles are required, I steer away from them, knowing I'm not prepared. Then again, I haven't really tried it... The question in my mind is, "Am I avoiding something that I could in fact handle?"

Clonester

MBTI Type
ENFP
Yes, I strive to be in a leadership position. I believe it should be something that's earned. On the other hand, it's often there for the taking, you just need to reach out for it. Which I do. So even though I'm fairly young, I often find myself leading people who are older than me because I both earn it and reach out for it.

If someone else is leading I'm comfortable with that as long as I agree with their vision. If not I'll probably find myself somewhere else. As far as delegating goes, I'm fairly comfortable with it on paper. But I'm a workhorse and don't believe in getting people to do things when I can do them myself. So I need to work on this area. But I'm great at setting up systems and getting others to work effectively in the system/devising the system to suit the skills of the workers.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Yeah...if I like the task and I'm competent at it, why not? I have no problem with responsibility, I love interacting with people. I don't strive for it, though, more often than not it seems like I'm the only one that wants to take them.

Right now, though, I only have in mind 3 possible tasks where I could have a leadership role, I'm not good enough at the others to be effective as a coordinator. (I like "coordinator" more than leader, because it implied an horizontal organization rather than a hierarchical one)