• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

using first function as shield against world

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I noticed that i am using my Ti as shield/mask/hide away/what ever against people from getting to know me too much, so i wont get hurt that easilly. I do it more on the start and let people closer after i start to trust them more. I talked to one enfp once about this once a little and she said that she behives in blablabla way(described Ne pretty accuratly, but doesent know about mbti afaik) way for hiding her "true self".

I could see use for this with pretty much eny function if used right(or wrong if done too much) and i was wondering if other people use theyr first function like this?

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Would assume tho other people are dumb and dont look behind your mask. Which they could be if you are a serial killer :D

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Would assume tho other people are dumb and dont look behind your mask. Which they could be if you are a serial killer :D

Its not about them being dumb. I mean how could they see behind it if im not using other functions freely infront of them? When i do use them, i check that it passes reguirments of the shield.

I have became really good at using this shield, maybe too good, since they wont get to know me as much as id want. i have done this so much that it scares me to take off the shield infront of enyone, even infront my friends who iv known for 10+ years..

i have noticed that this really isnt a good thing, since while it protects me from bad things, it allso protects me from good things in life. Luckily i figured out the way of loosening up this shield, thats using Ne more instead of Ti too much when interracting with people. I know this will be scary and cant happen in moment. Hopefully ill learn it better and be able to act more entp instead with people.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
You shouldnt live after other person ideals, just adapt to your situation with people around you as you see fit and slowly become more comfortable with them or dont. But never live up to other people that's gonna ruin you in the end.

What I meant is that, tho its hard to imagine, some people went through equal phases in life and if you meet someone who felt like you some time ago, your shield will not work, cause he can see right thru it. Those people are the most insightful persons to be not afraid of, cause they can build you up.

But in respect to your initial question. I use Ne to mask as a weirdo often and many times, I use it to trick people into thinking I am on their side, tho I already long have seen where they are going to. I dont do it to hurt anyone or to climb their backs to get to somewhere else, but I do it to ward off my own true feelings, which are most often VERY misanthrophic.

Permabanned
You shouldnt live after other person ideals, just adapt to your situation with people around you as you see fit and slowly become more comfortable with them or dont. But never live up to other people that's gonna ruin you in the end.

What I meant is that, tho its hard to imagine, some people went through equal phases in life and if you meet someone who felt like you some time ago, your shield will not work, cause he can see right thru it. Those people are the most insightful persons to be not afraid of, cause they can build you up.

But in respect to your initial question. I use Ne to mask as a weirdo often and many times, I use it to trick people into thinking I am on their side, tho I already long have seen where they are going to. I dont do it to hurt anyone or to climb their backs to get to somewhere else, but I do it to ward off my own true feelings, which are most often VERY misanthrophic.

*nods*

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx

im not talking about living to other peoples expectations. Im talking about not being able to live like i want because using this shield like im using it now. Most the time it doesent bother me and i enjoy it, but it keeps the good stuff out as well as it keeps the bad stuff out and im starting to get bored because not letting the good stuff in. Funny thing is that it keeps away loads of neutral stuff too, that are so unimportant that it wouldnt really even matter to let them in and most of the bad stuff arent even really that bad, but the good stuff it keeps away is worth the little bad stuff it lets in. Afterall i know that i would just get used to these little bad stuff i would let in if id lower my guard, so in the end they wouldnt even matter. Because of growing up with this shield and not getting used to little bad stuff or even some neutral stuff, it feels hard to let them in. And because everyone knows me the way they have seen me all these years im afraid to show my true self to enybody, even my best friends. If i take the shield down, people would see inside my head and thats maybe the most frightening thing about this, but its allso the most idiotic, because i dont know why im so afraid of it, i see absolutely no reason for it, still im doing it..

Enyway i came to conclusion that this shit isnt worth it and i need to get rid of it, or atleast some of it. Cant do it all in once, but ill start with letting my Ne loose more easilly infront of people because its the easy way to start and actually the most important thing imo.

And no one can see thru this shield, unless i let them, no bullshit im just too good at using it.

My avatar has alot to do with this stuff, and i took the pic summer before last one..

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I wish you much success on your endeavours

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I wish you much success on your endeavours

Is this something that others cant relate at all, dont feel confortable of speaking(c'mon this is the internets, no one knows you(hopefully :D )) or just dont have enything to say on this(not my situation, but overally the subject)?

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I said everything, I am going to say. I am cryptic I know, but you wear your shield and I am a weirdo, so there is a package to carry for everyone :)

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6NcbU60eT4"].[/YOUTUBE]

krunchtime

I don't see it as a shield in the way in which you understand it. The dominant function is an important part of my personality and my first instinctive reaction is to apply it to most situations. But if you start using the dominant function exclusively, it becomes unhealthy. I think Ne can be a good way of circumventing the Ti.

You seem to be functioning according to a rigid definition of good and bad, but you are aware that it needs to become more flexible. Just take that first step. If you stick to your current definition, it will continue into a downward spiral of fear and negativity. Humans are not super mind readers. Don't be afraid of your own demons because everyone has them.

wolfy

awsm
I was looking for a thread called Going to far in the introverted direction on the Lenore Thomson site. I can't find it but this looks interesting and applicable.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I don't see it as a shield in the way in which you understand it. The dominant function is an important part of my personality and my first instinctive reaction is to apply it to most situations. But if you start using the dominant function exclusively, it becomes unhealthy. I think Ne can be a good way of circumventing the Ti.

You seem to be functioning according to a rigid definition of good and bad, but you are aware that it needs to become more flexible. Just take that first step. If you stick to your current definition, it will continue into a downward spiral of fear and negativity. Humans are not super mind readers. Don't be afraid of your own demons because everyone has them.

I dont think that everyone uses theyr dominant function as shield, its just that i and some others do. Not everyone uses it in this unhealthy way as i do. Luckilly i found the way out of it, i just need to take that path, but need to start with baby steps or what ever im confortable enough with. Im not sticking with the way im used to, because there was/is this situation with girl involved that really made me realize that i cant go on like this or i will be just skipping my life and i have missed alot allready because of this shit even before that. I know everyone has theyr demons, but im afraid letting go of mine because theyr the ones that keeps me safe from harm.

Luckilly when i make up my mind about something, ill do it and if i want to do something enough i am able to accomplish it. This is something i want to do more than enough.

I was looking for a thread called Going to far in the introverted direction on the Lenore Thomson site. I can't find it but this looks interesting and applicable.

I have actually readed this topic a bit, but didnt get much into it and lost it. Thanks for linking it again