• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Type and anxiety disorders

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
One interesting quirk I have is that I suffer from an anxiety disorder. :blush:

It's rather annoying because it inhibits me from functioning in some situations (usually sex :cry: ). I was wondering if there is a connection between personality type and anxiety and what methods people have found most effective when it come to dealing with it.

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
*hugs*
i have an anxiety disorder too. I used to have to take medication for it when i was in high school, mostly because i had just started a new school that was 3 times bigger than my old school and my anxiety was caused by being around 2000 people that i didn't know. I couldn't function at all. I still have the same problem when i'm put in situations where i'm expected to socialize with people. I haven't really learned to deal with it. I just try to avoid people in these situations and hope people think i'm invisible.

Anytime i start a new job or something, my anxiety gets so bad that i really just can not concentrate or function in anyway, it eventually goes away after a few weeks once i finally get used to people. However i don't have any real tips for dealing with anxiety effectively because i haven't figured it out myself. =(

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
Hm, I certainly think INFJs are very prone to anxiety disorders. In my opinion it is because so many INFJs can't control their Ni. INTJs on the other hand filter it through Te, which controls the realism in the outputs of Ni.

It is actually quite interesting to notice just how big the differences are between INTJs and INFJs when it comes to emotional stability. This is not directly measured by MBTI, but INTJs are known for their confidence, and I would guess most in here would say it is one of the most emotionally stable types. The INFJ type on the other hand, is possibly the most neurotic of all the types. I might be biased though, as I live with a highly neurotic INFJ mom.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I think I may have one. I get panic attacks and hate being in front of people or being force to talk to someone I don't know, about something I don't want to. The whole idea of drawing attention to me and the whole room looking at me terrifies me. I'm not sure.

Kobato

MBTI Type
INFP
It would seem anxiety disorders correlate with introverts, no? Well, that is pretty obvious I think. But I myself do not suffer from anything... When asked to speak in front of a group, I can do so fairly decently. I am not happy, and I am definitely not confident when it comes to such matters. But all the same, I can perform the given task without any real hindrances. To calm myself when I am nervous, I usually just tell myself that nobody who is watching me really cares for what I am saying. What student really cares what another student is going on about in a research paper or some such nonsense? I surely don't. But that is only in an academic situation... I am not sure about others. Perhaps you might try therapy of some sort?

OctaviaCaesar

MBTI Type
INFJ
Anxiety-laden INFJ here--not proud but not ashamed either. I like to speak in front of groups but I fear one-on-one interactions. I fear being found lacking, being exposed as the fake I believe I am if someone really gets to know me.
Okay--how did I come up with this weird idea? I have been loved and supported my whole life, I guess it's just one of those things I have to work through.
Kiddo, I hope you can too!

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Anxiety-laden INFJ here--not proud but not ashamed either. I like to speak in front of groups but I fear one-on-one interactions. I fear being found lacking, being exposed as the fake I believe I am if someone really gets to know me.
Okay--how did I come up with this weird idea? I have been loved and supported my whole life, I guess it's just one of those things I have to work through.
Kiddo, I hope you can too!

I'm the oposite I rather deal with one on one intereactions then speak infront of groups and at least 2 of my classes I have to give presenations in possibly 3. I don't want to. I have to take public speaking, I'm taking it next semester, as my room mate whose a performer said she would help me through the class.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
One interesting quirk I have is that I suffer from an anxiety disorder. :blush:

It's rather annoying because it inhibits me from functioning in some situations (usually sex :cry: ). I was wondering if there is a connection between personality type and anxiety and what methods people have found most effective when it come to dealing with it.

I have some anxiety, but not quite to the point of a disorder. It was worse when I was younger, but it's getting better. I still freak out if I think I see a snake or a bug, though.

I think INxx's in general have an anxious streak, and I think some ENxx's do so as well. N's, I's, and F's probably tend towards it most.

Bethy

MBTI Type
INFJ
The INFJ type on the other hand, is possibly the most neurotic of all the types. I might be biased though, as I live with a highly neurotic INFJ mom.

I'm an INFJ, and I'm probably the most level-headed person in my family. No one could ever call me neurotic.

My mother and grandmother (ESFJs) and my aunt (ESTJ), on the other hand...let's just say that they all have issues.

It would be very tempting for me to say that ES_Js are the most neurotic, but I don't know every ES_J in the world, so that would be a rather crude generalization, and a biased remark.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I'm an INFJ, and I'm probably the most level-headed person in my family. No one could ever call me neurotic.

My mother and grandmother (ESFJs) and my aunt (ESTJ), on the other hand...let's just say that they all have issues.

It would be very tempting for me to say that ES_Js are the most neurotic, but I don't know every ES_J in the world, so that would be a rather crude generalization, and a biased remark.

ES_Js are the main ones that give me high anxiety. That's not fair I shouldn't say all but a fair amount of them make me feel less, they make me feel like I'm souless or stupid.

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi

No way! I agree with prp. ESXJs are the most likely to obsess, not to be neurotic. In fact, the ones I have been around obsess and complain so much that they make me really neurotic and ill.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Maybe we're all neurotic, but show it in different ways. Maybe ESXJs show it by not appearing neurotic but rather appear as being overbearing and judgemental.

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ

Good for you. I was of course just talking about INFJs on average, and of course there are variations within type. I am not the only one to have realised this tendency. Just look at INFJ - Jung Type Descriptions and see how big a part fears is how the INFJ profile there. Some of the INFJ characteristics listed: avoidant, anxious, socially uncomfortable, emotionally moody, fearful, second guesses self, prone to feelings of loneliness, prone to sadness, frequently worried, lower energy. It just goes on and on, and I all find it to be true in most INFJ cases.

Bethy

MBTI Type
INFJ
I am not the only one to have realised this tendency. Just look at INFJ - Jung Type Descriptions and see how big a part fears is how the INFJ profile there. Some of the INFJ characteristics listed: avoidant, anxious, socially uncomfortable, emotionally moody, fearful, second guesses self, prone to feelings of loneliness, prone to sadness, frequently worried, lower energy. It just goes on and on, and I all find it to be true in most INFJ cases.

That's one website. One website with some highly biased type descriptions. Even some members of the Similar Minds forum admit as much.

There are many others available that are much more balanced.

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
That's one website. One website with some highly biased type descriptions. Even some members of the Similar Minds forum admit as much.

There are many others available that are much more balanced.

Yeah, and I am not saying every INFJ is like that, just that INFJs are very prone to it. You are an unusual INFJ in that respect.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Good for you. I was of course just talking about INFJs on average, and of course there are variations within type. I am not the only one to have realised this tendency. Just look at INFJ - Jung Type Descriptions and see how big a part fears is how the INFJ profile there. Some of the INFJ characteristics listed: avoidant, anxious, socially uncomfortable, emotionally moody, fearful, second guesses self, prone to feelings of loneliness, prone to sadness, frequently worried, lower energy. It just goes on and on, and I all find it to be true in most INFJ cases.

Yep, I must admit I fit many of these, and so do a few INFJ's I know in real life --> But important to note, we're not *constantly* in this state. We are just probably more prone to these feelings, more often, than other people might be. The only one I'm not sure that fits is 'fearful'. But even if I might be in one of these 'funks', I still carry on with everyday life like normal (I'm just frazzled inside). And, so do my friends. Externally, except with those who might know us really well, much of this might not even be evident.

But I guess I try not to let my internal state 'rule' me -- if I start feeling this way, I make sure I DON'T become avoidant, basically.

But it isn't a constant presence with me, nor with my friends; it's not like we're constantly a neurotic mess. It's just every now and then I'll be awash with many of those feelings, for a few days or a week or two, and then I'll work through it and will be fine for a few months, or even longer. It's usually some sort of external stressor or interpersonal trigger that sets all of it off. I am quite aware my stress threshold is pretty low, so in general I build my life with that awareness in mind, so as to minimize all of this. Because at least for myself, anxiety is what tends to lead to all of the other feelings.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I want to add to and clarify my previous post.

My anxiety & the other feelings all tend to tie back to my identity, and how I relate with others.

My mom - who is most likely an ISTJ- has an entirely different sort of anxiety. She is your quintessential worry-wart, and she has more of a generalized anxiety about quite a lot of stuff - she's constantly rather tense and worried. Her anxiety is much more concentrated on tangible *things*, though - stuff that I find 'trivial' -- so, she worries about stuff that I tend to be calm about -- that I just roll with a lot more, and am able to say 'well, what happens, happens'. She would be much more worried about logistics, or whether she cooked enough food, or whether she packed enough stuff, or whether she had prepared enough for X task...whereas I don't really worry about any of that stuff.

So I think there are very different types & focuses of anxiety.

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
Yeah, even in my short time on this site I've noticed that INFJs share a lot of the same anxiety and paranoias that I do. I think it's a type that has many gifts but at a high cost. Strong Ni means you have amazing perception into what people might be thinking or feeling, but at the same time you may worry compulsively about what they might be thinking or feeling about you. INTJs get to filter their Ni through a Te so they prove to be one of the most stable types, but by contrast, the Fe of the INFJ tends to make them a knee-jerk reaction type.

I want to add to and clarify my previous post.

My anxiety & the other feelings all tend to tie back to my identity, and how I relate with others.

My mom - who is most likely an ISTJ- has an entirely different sort of anxiety. She is your quintessential worry-wart, and she has more of a generalized anxiety about quite a lot of stuff - she's constantly rather tense and worried. Her anxiety is much more concentrated on tangible *things*, though - stuff that I find 'trivial' -- so, she worries about stuff that I tend to be calm about -- that I just roll with a lot more, and am able to say 'well, what happens, happens'. She would be much more worried about logistics, or whether she cooked enough food, or whether she packed enough stuff, or whether she had prepared enough for X task...whereas I don't really worry about any of that stuff.

So I think there are very different types & focuses of anxiety.

That sounds right on. Well said.