• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Being a child. Done that. Been there. What to think of it?

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I've had a problematic idea of childhood. In a few lines,

-So I wore diapers back then? Shut up already. This is now, not back then.
-Someone held me on her lap when I was a child? Don't remember the past, this is now.
-I emptied the whole contents of the fridge on the floor? Well, that was that animal, 3 years old. I relate to that person as much as I could relate to unicellular organisms that we're supposed to be developed from.
-Pic of me at young age? I had unattractive naivety and a wrong haircut. I understand it's a mandatory shame for everyone. I envy those who got through it with less shame.
-You're telling me you took care of me, and I had diarrhea one day? I'm thinking, it's a pity that young persons must be taken care of at young age, we should be born self-sufficient without the need of a caretaker.
-I was like XYZ back then? That's a disgrace. Now my values are individuality, honor, capability, independence - none of which I could do back then. None of them were available to me. I was a damned disgrace of a person. I didn't provide my own money. I didn't make my own food. I behaved like a kid, it was a disgrace.
-I wasn't knowledgeable enough to make good decisions on my own life. That's completely .. uhh.. now.. this is no joke, if I would cry, I would cry at this point. This is fucking insane. No-one should live like this. It was terrible. Oh my god. I am not joking with you. This point ... this last point.. this is terrible. I was a damned bag of amoeba back then. Oh my god.

I could go on and on but you get the point.

So, what do you think of your childhood, as thinking from the viewpoint of someone who's not a child?

Ben Dover

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
I wish that childhood would just never end.

I mean honestly, who wants real world problems which you have to find real world solutions to? Everything was simpler as a kid! My biggest worry was whether or not I was going to be getting an N64 for christmas or not...

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
Being helpless is a disgrace?

Come on. We evoluted like that. You could be ashamed too of having to grow in a womb - the ultimate helplessness.

I can understand feeling awkward when people are gushing about you-as-baby. It IS embarrassing - especially if you don't remember as much. They are talking about something and you can't relate - and that something is you...

However, I don't mind as much. Right now I'm trying to remember instances where people were talking about me as a child - and I only remember complimentory/funny ones. Not diaper ones - I think nobody in my vicinity finds it interesting, as everyone wears diapers as a baby. On the other hand, there was only one child in the neighbourhood afraid of the number zero.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
I wish that childhood would just never end.

I mean honestly, who wants real world problems which you have to find real world solutions to? Everything was simpler as a kid! My biggest worry was whether or not I was going to be getting an N64 for christmas or not...

But you get more priveleges as an adult, although I do agree the added responsibility sucks.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
It all seems pretty vague to me but pretty good in general.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I had an awesome childhood.

There's not a single part of it I would change if given the opportunity.

The triumphs and tragedies alike made me who I am today, and I'm at peace with myself and the world around me. :headphne:

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Maybe a bit unorthodox and I saw some things I probably shouldn't have. All and all I had a great childhood.

paperoceans

Une Femme est une femme
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
8w7
I wish that I was still a child... I love being babied :D

Lacey

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It kind of confuses me. I'll watch home videos from when I was 5 or 6, and think, "There's no way in hell that's me." I can't wrap my brain around it. I was loud, obnoxious, and thought I knew absolutely everything (yeah, even at that young of an age). Now, well...I'm quite the opposite.

It makes me wonder if I'll think that same thing about 21-me when I'm 40 or something. *shudder*

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I vaguely miss my very early childhood sometimes. Like before the age of 6 or 7. I have extreme nostalgia for things from the time period in which I spent my formative years. I do not feel disgust for my child-self at all. We were all children once.

But I guess it can be annoying when older relatives insist on continuing to see us as children when we have long since grown up.

Yloh

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Overall, I truly enjoyed my childhood.

Actually I think it is important to be a kid at heart, but be able to handle responsibilities as an adult.

I understand some people don't have the best childhood, so all I can say is learn from your past and live for today.

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
Overall, I truly enjoyed my childhood.

Actually I think it is important to be a kid at heart, but be able to handle responsibilities as an adult.

I understand some people don't have the best childhood, so all I can say is learn from your past and live for today.

Still working on the second part of the second sentence...

Either way I don't think I have grown up too much since I was little. I still over think things, I still am rebellious, and lazy. I just know more than I did back then, and it's kind of a bummer :D

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Santtu said:
So, what do you think of your childhood, as thinking from the viewpoint of someone who's not a child?
Thinking of my childhood makes me want to build a time machine so I can go back and slap myself upside the head. I don't even want to go there, but I will anyway.

To call my younger self independent would be to say too little--I had to do everything my way, and if I didn't get my way, oh dear. My wishes were usually in line with those of other people, thank goodness, but when they weren't, I sometimes engaged in behavior so ridiculous that I refuse to describe it.

I also lacked self-discipline. I did things of such a vulgar and otherwise uncivilized nature that the very thought of them fills me with bitter shame. I blame it on a lack of role models; my independence forbade me to have any such thing, and even if it didn't, I had a poor selection to choose from.

I also had little happiness. I suffered from such extreme sensitivity that the smallest thing could hurt me; I cried oceans. And for that reason, I often regarded people, particularly those in authority, as mean and abusive. No one can claim perfect gentleness, of course, but I blew every little slight of theirs out of all reasonable proportion.

And that's enough. I feel like I just opened a can of toxic waste, and I'd like to close it now. Just don't think badly of me: I'm a different person today.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I get you. No, I won't think badly of you :hug: Thank you for sharing.

People may sometimes hate some external circumstances in their childhood. Still, I haven't gotten much understanding over the concept that I'd hate the person I was then. I am surprised and almost disgusted that someone would think of "bonding" with me by reminding how they changed my diapers or something of the kind. Well, there's a life lesson with that.. we are born without dignity, and we have to make it all by ourselves.