• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Left Brain/Right Brain

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
First, a brief article on general brain regions on the 8 functions:

MBTI Brain Types | Lenore Thomson Bentz

Then, from wikipedia on brain lateralization:

Left vs. Right

Linear reasoning and language functions such as grammar and vocabulary often are lateralized to the left hemisphere of the brain. Dyscalculia is a neurological syndrome associated with damage to the left temporo-parietal junction. This syndrome is associated with poor numeric manipulation, poor mental arithmetic skill, and the inability to either understand or apply mathematical concepts.

In contrast, prosodic language functions, such as intonation and accentuation, often are lateralized to the right hemisphere of the brain. Functions such as the processing of visual and audiological stimuli, spatial manipulation, facial perception, and artistic ability seem to be functions of the right hemisphere.

Other integrative functions, including arithmetic, binaural sound localization, and emotions, seem more bilaterally controlled.

Left hemisphere functions
numerical computation (exact calculation, numerical comparison, estimation)
left hemisphere only: direct fact retrieval
language: grammar/vocabulary, literal

Right hemisphere functions
numerical computation (approximate calculation, numerical comparison, estimation)
language: intonation/accentuation, prosody, pragmatic, contextual

So, left-brained vs right-brained is a pretty course simplification, at best, but is still useful conceptually. The corpus callosum can only carry so much information between the hemispheres, so does make some sense for there to be greater integration between functions in the same hemisphere.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
right brain is multiplicity and left-brain is singularity. left brain is more focused on internal organization and right brain is more focused on branching possibilities.

extraverted perception goes wiht introverted judgment
introverted percetpion goes wih extroverted judgment

Pe needs Ji to balance, find internal structure, store its evaluations and judgment patterns so taht it can respond to a wide ranging perceptual openness to the world, merging with experience.

Pi needs Je to balance, find external structure, restraint, and objective/goal/purpose to balance its inward desire to represent the world and understood it within a vast framework of perceptions.

P keeps judgments, J keeps perceptions.

Ben Dover

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
The brain is not the heart. People actually draw it the right way! :D

The easiest way to remember it is this.

Left brain controls RIGHT hand.
Right brain controls LEFT hand.

Most people are right-handed, most people are conventional, therefore
LEFT BRAIN = structured/logical

Then you have the lefties, these guys are "artsy", so
RIGHT BRAIN = visual/holistic

This isn't true at all, sorry.

This is actually really going to bug me now, because I took both anatomy and psychology. How do they draw brains in textbooks?!?!

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i don't know, tell us. tell us what the brain really is. let us better understand the brain and what that means about who we are, how we work, and what we can do.

i wish i knew more about anatomy and neuroscience. cognitive science is an amazing field in understanding how these processes work in their gory complexity and how intelligence emerges out of more endlessly differentiated and developed forms of infrastructure, communication, and information exchange.

durentu

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
If "Left-brained" is a verbal-oriented, and "Right-brained" is picture oriented, then what is kinesthetic learning?

I think this view is dated with all the fMRI brain scans these days.

if you want a great insight into left/right brain (brain lateralization) check out this video

Jill Bolte Taylor's stroke of insight | Video on TED.com

generally speaking, left brain is sequential, singular and separating. right brain is parallel, holistic and connecting.

as it pertains to MBTI, those with a J preference is left brained, and those with a P preference is right brained. The link between MBTI cognitive functions and brain location is in the book personality type by Lenore Thomson. (iirc)

Of course these are preferences and brain dominances. And not everyone will fit the mold.

I haven't come across anything specific about preferred learning styles other than to point you towards neurogenesis as the brain develops from birth.

The first few years after birth, the brain is mush and it begins to setup the structure to do the thinking we do today. After this setup period, it becomes specialized and optimized. Perhaps with the aid of genetics and hormones and environmental factors, the brain finds that certain pathways are better equipped in learning the world around them.

hope this helps.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
hate to break it to you, but your not going to find answers to very many of these questions on this forum. Try getting off the computer and enrolling in some psychology classes. Then maybe you might be able to figure out the answers yourself.

the spirit and idea of insight we get from these things is far more important than our descriptions of them within any specific language. we can build models of them and new technologies out of our sciences that will help us eventually understand what wisdom actually lies within them.

and i am in school learning about the world and communicating what i learn with other people, but thanks for playing this little and unnecessary game of distractions. your tone is empty negation, you should delete it.

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
First, a brief article on general brain regions on the 8 functions:

MBTI Brain Types | Lenore Thomson Bentz

Then, from wikipedia on brain lateralization:

So, left-brained vs right-brained is a pretty course simplification, at best, but is still useful conceptually. The corpus callosum can only carry so much information between the hemispheres, so does make some sense for there to be greater integration between functions in the same hemisphere.

So you could say linguists are generally more balanced between Left vs Right brained-ness? I would say a Left brained person would be the person complaining about how hard a language is to pronounce while the right brained person would be struggling with grammar. I dunno, but language is a factor while I'm here in Finland, so learning about how it is learned is interesting.

My ENFP friend is good at quickly mixing and matching words into something that would be gibberish if you weren't used to him doing it. Switching the beginnings of words around like 'Magpie' would be 'Pagmie.'

So the way of thinking about left vs right brain in a metaphoric way could be that Right brained-ness seems more erratic than left brained-ness. Hare versus the tortoise? All I know is that I seem to flip between the two often.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
This isn't true at all, sorry.

This is actually really going to bug me now, because I took both anatomy and psychology. How do they draw brains in textbooks?!?!

How/which part am I incorrect? I was merely telling people my way of recalling the general concepts of left/right brain theories. Obviously to do anything requires interactions of both hemispheres. Please clarify FDG.

Ben, here's a picture depicting the language centers of the brain.

languagebrain.gif

This is on the left hemisphere. As you can see here, frontal lobe is in front, orbital lobe is behind. That gives you the left hemisphere. No mirror image like the case in the heart.
It's typically located in the left hemisphere.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Oh, okay, if you were just telling your way to remember them, I didn't get it. I thought you were also claiming that right-handed people were predominantly left-brained referring to the personality-traits of right-left brain

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Oh, okay, if you were just telling your way to remember them, I didn't get it. I thought you were also claiming that right-handed people were predominantly left-brained referring to the personality-traits of right-left brain

Gotcha! I see where the problem arose. I do believe that right-handed people are predominantly left-brained but I don't buy the left/right brain cognitive function ideas. I've posted before on the reasons I think "BrainType" is a load of BS... there's no point in me ranting about them again. :)

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I've posted before on the reasons I think "BrainType" is a load of BS... there's no point in me ranting about them again. :)

Agreed. But a link would be appropriate. That's what I do when I don't feel like ranting about something I've already discussed.

wolfy

awsm
I never got my answer and I am curious. If I use the right for one handed stuff and am left handed for two handed stuff what does that make me in theory?

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I never got my answer and I am curious. If I use the right for one handed stuff and am left handed for two handed stuff what does that make me in theory?

Right-handed and left-brained.

You just switch the focus to the right-brain when dealing with the spatial complexity of two-handed tasks.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Gotcha! I see where the problem arose. I do believe that right-handed people are predominantly left-brained but I don't buy the left/right brain cognitive function ideas. I've posted before on the reasons I think "BrainType" is a load of BS... there's no point in me ranting about them again. :)

So only 10% of the population is right-brained?

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Agreed. But a link would be appropriate. That's what I do when I don't feel like ranting about something I've already discussed.
You have to make me hunt through the Archives for the link huh?

Here, only for you :)
INTP Central - View Single Post - BrainTypes - Neidnagel

So only 10% of the population is right-brained?
Actually the % of lefties in a typically population now is about 30%. And so you can say 70% of the population PREFERS to use the left hemisphere more than the right. The other 30% tends to use the right hemisphere more, or are fairly balance in using both hemispheres.

There appears to be more variation in brain usage of lefties under MRI scans. I'm not sure why.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Actually the % of lefties in a typically population now is about 30%. And so you can say 70% of the population PREFERS to use the left hemisphere more than the right. The other 30% tends to use the right hemisphere more, or are fairly balance in using both hemispheres.

There appears to be more variation in brain usage of lefties under MRI scans. I'm not sure why.

Where did you get this statistic?

The absolute highest I've ever heard lefties be cited at is about 12%.

And what of dyslexics? The type that don't realize they're doing symmetrical tasks with the 'wrong' hand until they're halfway through.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
You have to make me hunt through the Archives for the link huh?

Here, only for you :)
INTP Central - View Single Post - BrainTypes - Neidnagel

I see nightning has been in here in a kind of opposition.
I am with her all the way.

A lot of research of the subject is invalid.
There are two autonomous brains. It is not a dichotomy thing.

When I was a child, we had an old gramophone. In the family.
I was three years old. If I wanted to hear music, I had to use my right hand.

Later, I was a farm hand in Germany. I had the tool in the wrong hand.
My movements were the opposite to what was permissible.

Very gently, with patience, they placed the tool in my right hand.
They showed the way. They said:
Nicht so! .. So!

This is what happens in the large scale. It is a thing of culture.
Homosexuals and the left handed people do not increase.
Tolerance does.

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
I see nightning has been in here in a kind of opposition.
I am with her all the way.

A lot of research of the subject is invalid.
There are two autonomous brains. It is not a dichotomy thing.

When I was a child, we had an old gramophone. In the family.
I was three years old. If I wanted to hear music, I had to use my right hand.

Later, I was a farm hand in Germany. I had the tool in the wrong hand.
My movements were the opposite to what was permissible.

Very gently, with patience, they placed the tool in my right hand.
They showed the way. They said:
Nicht so! .. So!

This is what happens in the large scale. It is a thing of culture.
Homosexuals and the left handed people do not increase.
Tolerance does.

Basically people arent tolerating lefties as much so the said lefties learned to be right handed from a young age, and that now lefties are more accepted and thus more prevalent since they arent stuck stabbing themselves with scissors made for righties?