User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Default Why do people care about truth so much?

I mean, it seems like most people have a devotion to their version of it, and value this whole thing about being "honest," regardless of whether anyone is interested in what they have to say. Generally speaking, I find people who overtly value "truth" to be pointlessly tactless and crude. They can also be rather thick, unable to discern subtlety, and unwilling to present themselves in a positive light in order to help them succeed.

It can be rather frustrating to have to put up with a bunch of blunt, self-assured "truth-tellers" who don't have the least bit of respect for my willingness to accommodate others, and think I'm worthless because I don't go around trying to inflict my views on everyone I meet.

What I have to question, though, is whether "truth" is really as desirable as people make it out to be. I mean, in some cases, couldn't it be detrimental to our well-being, comfort, ability to function day-to-day, or relationships with other people? It seems to me that people today often put truth ahead of people's humanity, and believe that the truth speaks for itself, and justifies itself, unable to consider the idea that truth isn't warranted in every context of human affairs.

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    9w1

With Ni, we INFJs can see multiple truths easily. Not all people have that natural ability and then are stuck with one. They defend it like crazy because without it they would feel like they have nothing. No one likes to feel like that, that's what spawned consumerism.
    'Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and its better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.' - Marilyn Monroe

This is who I am, escapist, paradise-seeker.
    -Nightwish

Anthropology Major out of Hamline University. St. Paul, Minnesota.

Senior Member The Grand Chameleon's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w2

Maybe those you are speaking of confuse personal truth with universal fact.

Remaining on a civil level with peers, then, is a matter of tact.

lol.
    "In the game of chess, you can never let your opponent see your pieces."

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Chameleon View Post
    Maybe those you are speaking of confuse personal truth with universal fact.

Remaining on a civil level with peers, then, is a matter of tact.

lol.
    Yeah, that's what I mean. If someone were go around saying that 2+2=5, that a blue pen is red, or something like that, sure, you should tell them that's not true.

But if they insist on telling other people their personal truths and accusing anyone who disagrees of being dishonest or deluded, it's frustrating.

MBTI
    INxJ

Truth gets to the point. For some, it's really tedious and unnatural to sugarcoat. Like a real strain and effort. Literally draining. On a personal level, telling the truth can help a loved one out if it's in their power to change. Would you enable or coddle someone you cared about, just to spare their feelings?

Every truth isn't necessary to tell. Say a husband finds a coworker hot and fantasizes about that person while having intercourse with his wife. Some wives might be into it, but it's a safe bet to think many women wouldn't want to know. If the husband isn't ever going to cheat, should he tell his wife? Not really.

Do you think even the hardcore truth tellers are always honest? I believe 99% of humans lie at one point or another. I also don't think your way of handling things is wrong. Just different.

MBTI
    INTJ

Why do people care about underwear?

It's there. A lot of times it's useful.

Wearing it on the outside is not always so fashionable.

But if you do it right, you're superman.
    Bellison uncorked a flood of horrible profanity, which, translated, meant, "This is extremely unusual."

Boy meets Grr

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    I mean, it seems like most people have a devotion to their version of it, and value this whole thing about being "honest," regardless of whether anyone is interested in what they have to say. Generally speaking, I find people who overtly value "truth" to be pointlessly tactless and crude. They can also be rather thick, unable to discern subtlety, and unwilling to present themselves in a positive light in order to help them succeed.
    That doesn't necessarily have anything to do with truth; some people just like to be blunt. And sometimes those people are the most deceptive. I like bluntness mostly as a time-saving measure.

But aside from that, the reason we should value truth, or fact, is because it's reality.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

There is no spoon, look into my eyes... Nooo spooon
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    That doesn't necessarily have anything to do with truth; some people just like to be blunt. And sometimes those people are the most deceptive. I like bluntness mostly as a time-saving measure.
    Well, that makes sense. Although in some cases, it seems like the kind of logic you see in a person who uses an electric chainsaw to butter toast and fell timber.
    But aside from that, the reason we should value truth, or fact, is because it's reality.
    I'm curious about something... are you familiar with circular reasoning, by any chance?

I can see where you're coming from. But I think you're confusing Truth for rudeness or incivility. It is not pleasant for truth tellers to just slap the truth into people's faces, neither is it pleasant when you're confronted with a bunch of truth tellers who assume that they are telling the truth when they might not be.

Personally, I try to be as civil as possible but it is possible for me to get impatient and I become fanatic when I think I'm telling the truth, but I'm actually the confused one during discussion. It happens. So the one way I know when I'm being illogical or unobjective is to check my own emotional state. If I'm all fired up, then it is possible that I'm being illogical.

As for considering different versions of the Truth, I understand that it can be a matter of perspective. If you hold a scientific experiment in front of 10 different people and ask them to write their own intepretations, you're bound to get 10 different versions, each equally valid from their individual perspectives. Yet there will be a common thread running throughout the 10 intepretations. It is possible for truth to be equated to a set of universal facts or an underlying principle which explains how things work.

To use a really basic example, it is the truth that the world is round, but years ago truth used to be that the world was flat. Each is equally valid if you put it within the context of time and space. However, our current version is justified by a set of verifiable facts, while in the past it wasn't so. Using another quirky example of the Matrix, it was the truth that humans lived and breathed within a structured illusion, but this truth can be subjugated to creature comforts. This is a theoretical and extreme example, but I hope it helps to explain why sometimes we need a Truth rather than just accepting everything as equally valid.