User Tag List

123 Last

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Default Circumstances v. Hard Work

I remember this being brought up a while ago in another thread, but it wasn't explored to the extent I would like.

This post is all about Locus of Control theory.

Locus of control - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Locus of control refers to the extent to which individuals believe that they can control events that affect them. Individuals with a high internal locus of control believe that events result primarily from their own behavior and actions. Those with a high external locus of control believe that powerful others, fate, or chance primarily determine events. Those with a high internal locus of control have better control of their behavior, tend to exhibit more political behaviors, and are more likely to attempt to influence other people than those with a high external locus of control; they are more likely to assume that their efforts will be successful. They are more active in seeking information and knowledge concerning their situation.

One's "locus" (Latin for "place" or "location") can either be internal (meaning the person believes that they control their life) or external (meaning they believe that their environment, some higher power, or other people control their decisions and their life).
    I am wondering where others stand on this issue, and if there is any distributional relevance to type.

I am also curious to see if one's upbringing significantly affects whether they have an internal or external locus of control.

Let the discussion begin.

EDIT: I don't know how to make a poll otherwise I would do so.

MBTI
    xxxx

Put informally, there are two categories of things that happen:

Shit I can't do anything about

and...

Shit I'm too lazy to do anything about
    If a deaf INFP falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

I try to be realistic, there are some things within my control but I'm also wary that I'm just one little cog in a very big machine.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

I have a very strong internal locus of control.

I realize that there are things I have control over and things I don't.

When something goes wrong, I try to always assume that its my fault. If I can only truly control my actions, stressing about things outside of my control is clearly a waste of time.

MBTI
    xxxx

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    I have a very strong internal locus of control.

I realize that there are things I have control over and things I don't.

When something goes wrong, I try to always assume that its my fault. If I can only truly control my actions, stressing about things outside of my control is clearly a waste of time.
    What about the idea of "if it went wrong, it's not my fault"?
    If a deaf INFP falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Yea I can, and do, often come to that conclusion. But, once I have, I will usually plan for a way that I can do something in the future to avoid the issue.

It seems like in America, that blame for the problem is more important than the solution to it. Even if it wasn't my fault, that doesn't mean that I can't work on a solution!

ThatGirl

Everything is in my control.

If circumstance doesn't allow, essentially it just means I need to go about it in a different way. The motivation doesn't change, nor does the end result.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    Everything is in my control.

If circumstance doesn't allow, essentially it just means I need to go about it in a different way. The motivation doesn't change, nor does the end result.
    The words of a true ENTJ if ever there was one!

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Both my parents are ardent individualists of good moral fiber and sound work ethic.

I could not help growing up with a very strong internal locus of control.

My thoughts are in line with ThatGirl's.
    If I can't win, then it's time to bend the rules if the matter is significant.

I don't thrust my will on others just for the sake of doing so, but I'll be damned if I sit back and take shit for any reason.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

yeah, i agree with Halla and thatgirl.
    i suppose i have a very high internal locus of control.

i absolutely believe that i make my own success in life, and i have always believed in my own ability to overcome circumtances. sometimes (often?) it feels like a personal challenge when a situation is dead-set against me, so it motivate me even more. when someone says "that's impossible" my first reaction is always to think "oh really? nothing's impossible".
    haha, so it does kind of light a fire under me when someone or something throws up these insurmountable walls.
    so i tend to even go to extremes, and think that i can beat any odds or circumstances set against me.

for me personally, my upbringing absolutely played a huge part in my being this way. as i got older i realized how much i wanted to break out of this stifling and opressive neighborhood and culture i grew up in, but everyone there always told me "no, you can't. nobody leaves here." so that really charged me up, and me feel like 'that's not true, i can do anything i want!!'
    so for me it was a kind of rebellion. all my life everyone was always telling me 'stay put, this is your life, you can't rise up or become anything'. and every time they told me that, it would make this little part of me grow more and more.
    so now my natural instinct, my natural inclination, is to think i can do anything i want to, overcome anything that cicumstance puts in front of me.