User Tag List

First 123 Last

How can people even think they are not in control of their lives? Sure, some things are random but you can still always react to those things however you choose to. I'm all about taking responsibility. If you're broke, for example, it's because of what you did. Most likely, it's because of what you did for many years. It's not the economy's fault. Thinking your life is up to fate is like handing your power away. In order to create what you want you have to admit that it's your fault that you don't already have it. (Within reason.)

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Quote Originally Posted by LucrativeSid View Post
    (Within reason.)
    Where do you guys with the strong internal locus of control draw the line of reason?

Do you ever feel like you can contol the weather or anything amusing like that?
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Where are all the external locus people?

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    Where do you guys with the strong internal locus of control draw the line of reason?

you are talking to a native american, son! ever heard of a rain dance??

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Where are all the external locus people?
    They are unable to post because someone broke their computer and then the power company cut their power for no reason and they never actually learnt how to type because their typing teacher never liked them and because the moon and venus just aren't in the right alignment at the moment.

Quinlan's Creations

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfisher View Post
    you are talking to a native american, son! ever heard of a rain dance??
    The most effective raindance is to pay for a big tanker of water. Just after it's delivered the heavens will open without fail.

Quinlan's Creations

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

They are unable to post because someone broke their computer and then the power company cut their power for no reason and they never actually learnt how to type because their typing teacher never liked them and because the moon and venus just aren't in the right alignment at the moment.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Um. I believe hard work is enough to reach a "good" level at everything. To be "great", you need circumstances to work for you (ex. talent, timing, lack of competition, availability of resources). So, I guess I'm halfway.
    I don't think we can forget that we have not choose that we're born, and we have not chosen some of our innate abilities. For example, I'm 5'9'', so I will never be a pro basketaball player no matter how much I train. This is an example of circumstances that don't allow for a given goal.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Senior Member compulsiverambler's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

I think I just try to take as much about a situation into account as possible, both internal and external. I have extensive experience of both these things being key to success and failure so perhaps that's why I try to analyse and foresee both of them so much. I also don't see the external as different from the internal in any significant way. Both sometimes are and sometimes aren't within our control, and depending on how you define the self, may never be. But maybe in this context 'internal' is actually defined as 'within our control' and 'the self' is defined in such a way as that makes sense. That would explain the following quote.

Those with a high internal locus of control have better control of their behavior, tend to exhibit more political behaviors, and are more likely to attempt to influence other people than those with a high external locus of control; they are more likely to assume that their efforts will be successful.
    Perhaps they are less likely to have had previous efforts seriously incumbered by things they couldn't or didn't know how to overcome.

You control your reaction to the weather. An internal locus of control means I am responsible for what happens to me. Not to blame, blame looks back. Responsible, responsible looks forward.

An internal sense of control. Not shoving your own agenda through.