User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
    What does compatibility have to do with rank? I don't understand and am extremely wary of ranking people either subjectively, or according to "objective" standards. A cursory glance at history and/or a little bit of Ne will tell you where that leads. And it ain't pretty.
    So I can't stay away from people who are harmful to me?

I know that antifreeze has its uses but I'm not going to drink it. That's just stupid.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

I'm going to have to preface this post with a few things:

We are all equal. If not in our capacity then at least in our humanity (and in the rights we deserve).

This equality is objective and applies to us all as a species.

This thread however, addresses another type of equality. That being subjective equality.

Subjective equality, is how we view others relative to ourselves. Objective equality is how others are viewed relative to the human race.

I believe everyone is objectively equal.

When judged relative to me however, the vast majority are anything but.

I don't think there is anything wrong with this kind of judgment because how else are we to understand others (this applies most directly to those with an underdeveloped Fe) except by how they rank relative to how we act ourselves.

I'll make an educated guess and say that this (subjective) judgment is genetically ingrained in us. This judgment is how we find our significant others, our best friends, and our closest business associates.

Conversely, this judgment is also how we make our worst enemies, our most bitter exes, and our biggest business rivals.

The only time it becomes a problem is when it is improperly used to humiliate or denigrate others.

I personally, love the fact that I am allowed to subjectively judge others. If I couldn't how would I be able to cherish the warmth of my friendships, and the intimacy of my relationships.

It is only by experiencing the lows, that we grow and truly appreciate the highs.

I honestly don't understand why so many people freak out about being judged in this manner. Being judged by others is the nature of the human condition. If you don't want to be judged, be reincarnated as something that isn't sentient.

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Agree with Hap's view point.

I don't know if it's just a society conditioning thing but I don't see people themselves as being better or worse. People's attributes (looks, intelligence, personality) I do. After all, you must have some sort of benchmark to base things on. It's only human nature to line things up, to categorize. For the most part, different people are good at different things. It all more or less evens out if you compare the rankings of all the attributes.

You have to focus on the specifics simply due to the nature of the situation at hand. You're trying to get work done here. Why not rank people based on their attributes to find people that you get along the easiest with? I don't see this as a J/P thing at all.
    My stuff (design & other junk) lives here: http://nnbox.ca

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    I honestly don't understand why so many people freak out about being judged in this manner. Being judged by others is the nature of the human condition. If you don't want to be judged, be reincarnated as something that isn't sentient.
    The title of the thread is specifically: "better and worse people."
    That's an F value type of thinking, not T.

I make judgements of others all the time.
    If I judge someone to be an asshole, I don't ask myself:
    "Gee, is he a better or worse asshole than me?"

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by nightning View Post
    You have to focus on the specifics simply due to the nature of the situation at hand. You're trying to get work done here. Why not rank people based on their attributes to find people that you get along the easiest with? I don't see this as a J/P thing at all.
    LOL. Spoken like a true J.
    Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    So I can't stay away from people who are harmful to me?

I know that antifreeze has its uses but I'm not going to drink it. That's just stupid.
    I repeat. What does that have to do with ranking people?

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    It is her problem.
    As you wish. But you seem to be the one complaining about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
    I repeat. What does that have to do with ranking people?
    Antifreeze is not going to be on my top five list of beverages, that's for sure.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Antifreeze is not going to be on my top five list of beverages, that's for sure.
    Meh, lists.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by nightning View Post
    Agree with Hap's view point.

I don't know if it's just a society conditioning thing but I don't see people themselves as being better or worse. People's attributes (looks, intelligence, personality) I do. After all, you must have some sort of benchmark to base things on. It's only human nature to line things up, to categorize. For the most part, different people are good at different things. It all more or less evens out if you compare the rankings of all the attributes.
    Although, edit: although I categorize attributes, I don't consciously label most attributes as better or worse. Although attributes like cruelty or vindictiveness or the like, yeah, they'll be 'worse' than kindness, etc.

As for myself, I've never thought directly in terms of better/worse. I do observe trends when it comes to personality (obviously - hello, this forum!), and pretty much every other human trait, and I definitely have preferences when it comes to who I desire to bring into my life, and who I don't particularly want to play an active role in my life. And I could list traits that I don't care for, so in that sense, yes, I can easily categorize. Every trait could be put on some sort of sliding scale, whether it be extroversion, or honesty, or intelligence, or open-mindedness, or closed-mindedness, etc etc (and it goes without saying that the definitions themselves of these traits might vary from one person to another) so in that sense it's pretty easy to categorize. And it's already been said that all of it's subjective to begin with, in terms of the categories themselves as well as how one integrates them (or doesn't integrate them) into their life view. Or whatever.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    ESFJ

No. I don't rank people.

By doing so, you limit the potential these people can bring to your life to make it easier.

I don't like the idea of better or worse. That is retarded.

It is like being told to read a classic novel yet you won't buy the book because the cover is not to your standard. The best books are the ones that are slightly worn.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

The concept of something being better than something else is retarded?

Please explain.