User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

Default No direction? No purpose?

I feel a distinct lack of direction lately. I have things I want to accomplish but none of them seem catastrophic if I failed to do them. How do you deal with a lack of direction?
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

Glycerine

I just constantly think about how its going to affect me in the future. Is it going to make me happy? Is it worth all the effort? What are you really passionate about? It probably will take some sort of catalyst esp. if you are strong P. Even as a moderate J, I still struggle w/ the motivation factor. I have to go into super J, type A mode to get anything done.

Phantonym

At this point, I'm highly unhealthy when it comes to dealing with my lack of direction. Avoidance. As long as I possibly can. And beating myself up about that because I realize that it's not going to get me anywhere. Until something clicks and this happens:

Quote Originally Posted by Pitseleh View Post
    I have to go into super J, type A mode to get anything done.

Intermittent periods of avoidance and hyper-directed-towards-something-in-the-future-periods. Frustration.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4, 7
    Socionics
    IEE

When I'm in a state of numbness/feel directionless... I start to ask what I view are the most important things in life. Then I start to ask myself what my purpose is? I visualize the situation & ask the million-dollar question:

What would you do if you had all the money in the world? If you already had the chance to travel to all the destinations you've ever desired to? Engaged in all the fun activities you've ever wanted to? If money, leisure, was of no concern, what can I imgaine myself waking up to every morning to make life worth living?

I'd also take it to the other extreme- if I had nothing left in my life, what kind of job/activity would really motivate me to get out of bed? That's when I know what my true passions are.. I think most people do know what their passion is, but sometimes, when we're too comfortable or inhibited (live in fear), we tend to get discouraged. The key thing is to remember what truly makes us happy- to listen to the kid inside of us, to nurture who we truly are at heart.

Hope this helps.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    I feel a distinct lack of direction lately. I have things I want to accomplish but none of them seem catastrophic if I failed to do them. How do you deal with a lack of direction?
    Let me know if you figure out the answer, because that's exactly how I've felt ever since I graduated high school. It sucks, I have too many options and I don't know what I want, so I just don't do anything.

The irony is that I would probably cope better in a situation where I had to perform. I've got all the time in the world, no deadlines or expectations, and I can't make myself do anything. Just find myself stuck in my old habits.

So to answer your question... I listen to this song:

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntzCi1lu2ys"]Too much time on my hands[/YOUTUBE]

And then I drink 5 or 6 sodas, watch TV reruns, and then post on forums and talk on AIM all day. Then maybe I fall asleep and repeat the process the next day.

Try not to do what I do, 'kay? Not the best way to cope.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post

I tend to be directionless in general - it's been the primary mode of my existence. Even as a teenager I didn't have any idea what I wanted to do/be when I grew up, or what my purpose was.

For myself, I suppose it ends up being an intuitive process; a bit of a 'waiting game' sometimes...feeling stagnant in the moment, and all the feelings that come with that, but knowing I can't force it either. Sometimes I think my brain needs to do all this behind-the-scenes stuff and for a while although I am motionless and am not really doing anything, all of a sudden everything clicks and I 'know' what I want to do.

Basically every 2-3 yrs this crops up...a need for something new, and a need to find a new 'purpose' to work towards. Because I've never figured out the ultimate thing - the job/passion/what-work-would-be-meaningful-or-at-least-somewhat-enjoyable thing - I think this is why it tends to be more frequent for me. Anything I do come up with tends to take just a few yrs - I haven't found a really longterm project or goal that would keep me going for several years.

There are a variety of 'solutions' for me. Sometimes it involves a change of scenery, sometimes a change of job, sometimes a need to change my perception of things (which is the trickiest one), sometimes reprioritizing things in my life or shifting focus to concentrate on something I've pushed onto the back burner, and sometimes I realize I am not going to figure out anything, I'm spinning my wheels and going in circles, and if none of the many options are ideal, I must accept that fact and just pick one..so sometimes, the act of movement - ANY movement - is the answer. While I love the notion of having some vast 'purpose' to my life, I am beginning to doubt that is the best way to approach life - at least in terms of my own personality. So I create mini-purposes, and sometimes think there doesn't have to be a larger-than-life purpose (even though I'll always try to find one )
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

Pumpernickel
    MBTI
    ENTJ

I just go out and jump into serious Se mode until I feel so uncomfortable with having acted on too many impulses and feel the need to start getting things done to feel like myself again.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

My sense of direction is often perfectly ordered.
    Except that, that direction is often unrealistic.
    Itís not that I set my expectation too high; itís that I donít believe in myself enough to achieve them.
    I procrastinate because Iím afraid that when I do complete something, it wonít be good enough, or it wonít work out the way I expected it to.
    I know what I want and exactly how to get it, itís simply the fear of getting it and it not being how I envisioned that keeps me from it.

My advice is to figure out why you feel like you have a lack of direction. Are you afraid? Are you confused about what you want? Is what youíre trying to accomplish simply not interesting? Or do you really want to accomplish it, but arenít sure if youíll be able? etc. etc.
    Once you are able to identify whatís holding you back, it will be easier to move forward.

And major props to Athenian200 for the Styx reference. ;]

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

I usually get a lack of direction when I've worked too hard, and I haven't enjoyed the fruits of my labor enough. I lose the meaning of what it would do to me to accomplish something. I lose the idea of what it is to have a direction.

I guess to have a sense of direction, I must enjoy some of the stuff I'll be fully enjoying when I've reached my goal. It'll translate in my mind to the idea that I'll get more of this wonderful stuff when I'm there. In other words, I sometimes lose sight of long term goals if there's no reward for a long time. Perhaps because I've denied myself of that reward in attempt to push myself further. It doesn't always work; it's good to reward oneself.

*that was one tired, repetitive post. Well, I did intend that as the last post before going to sleep. Damn I'm tired!*
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Viv View Post
    What would you do if you had all the money in the world? If you already had the chance to travel to all the destinations you've ever desired to? Engaged in all the fun activities you've ever wanted to? If money, leisure, was of no concern, what can I imgaine myself waking up to every morning to make life worth living?
    I just want to read and learn mainly.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."