User Tag List

First 1234 Last

I usually sit down and think about what I'd like to be able to do in five years, where I'd ike to be in five years. That gives me a certain clarity and direction that I really like. I don't plan out the details, it's just working through priorities and the general direction that I find value in. I like what Peter Drucker once said, You overestimate what you can do in a year and underestimate what you can do in five.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    I usually sit down and think about what I'd like to be able to do in five years, where I'd ike to be in five years. That gives me a certain clarity and direction that I really like. I don't plan out the details, it's just working through priorities and the general direction that I find value in. I like what Peter Drucker once said, You overestimate what you can do in a year and underestimate what you can do in five.
    Nice quote.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

I've not felt without direction for so long I don't know what to say.

There are thousands of things I want to do NOW.

Really, it's hard for me to sit on my ass and do nothing.

I think between cartoons as a kid and partying in college I'm done with being a sloth.

Why not play a prank on someone? That's always fun.

Purpose comes from experience. When you have enough experience, you will find your purpose.

If you truly lack purpose, I think perhaps breathing itself is a purpose. Surviving and being in a conscious state is already one of the greatest gifts in life.
    The fear of poverty turns people into slaves of money.

"In this Caesar there are many Mariuses"~Sulla

Conquer your inner demons first before you conquer the world.

MBTI
    istp

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    I feel a distinct lack of direction lately. I have things I want to accomplish but none of them seem catastrophic if I failed to do them. How do you deal with a lack of direction?
    Perhaps try to define your purpose in terms of others... feelings can come and go but other people, their needs, and how you meet them will not.

Quote Originally Posted by cloud View Post
    Purpose comes from experience. When you have enough experience, you will find your purpose.

If you truly lack purpose, I think perhaps breathing itself is a purpose. Surviving and being in a conscious state is already one of the greatest gifts in life.
    Proficiency comes from experience, but does being good at something make it your purpose?

For example, Jason was experienced/proficient at killing people with a chainsaw but is that the purpose it was made for? If not simply to drive us to proficiency, why do we feel a need for purpose?

MBTI
    INTJ

I feel a distinct lack of direction lately. I have things I want to accomplish but none of them seem catastrophic if I failed to do them. How do you deal with a lack of direction?
    Shit adds up man. One day you're too lazy to wipe after #2, next day you got ass gangrene.

If that visual isn't enough to motivate you, nothing is.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Synarch, I may not be feeling these things at the same level, but I have felt them. I go through what you just explained all the time.

The advice I can give is that this is just a phase. I go through drastic phases all of the, and this is one I often fall into.

I guess just wait your course and hopefully something will come your way. Sometimes I feel like we need to do less chasing, and more waiting.

But that's not how I function, so it's hard. Hang in there, man. It's like a virus, it'll play its course and then you'll move on. Maybe with some wisdom.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    ESFJ

Oh, i am glad i am not alone in this .. That does sound bad

I have never quite known what my purpose is, other than to raise 2 amazing children. I never had any idea what i would be when i grew up, i still don't.

Situations have always found me, so i plod along and hope for the best. Don't get me wrong, i don't sit around twiddling my thumbs waiting for something to happen. I have taken night courses over the years. I am actively making the most out of being unemployed and taking whatever course i can so looking good on my CV. But if i ask myself why am i taking these courses, other than to better myself then i don't know.

I recently thought about training to be a nurse and even got in touch with a local college, but i knew deep down that it would never bear the fruits so i left it. It didn't feel right (if that makes any sense).

I envy people who know what they want from life and to know what your purpose is, must be so gratifying.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

I have been this way for quite some time. Ever since high school or as a little kid, I never had anything that I truly felt passionate about. Because of that, I never really felt motivated enough to take one path. In a way, I sort of feel like I am waiting for something to happen in my life that would inspire me or direct me towards a certain path. But I am 24 years old now, and I'm starting to realize this "epiphany" may not happen to me and I'll have to just pick up something, severely late compared to others my age, and just hope I don't wish to kill myself after a few years.

If anything, I know whatever I do, if I don't like it, I'm not going to do well and still be searching for that thing... whatever it is.

I loathe school. I don't want a crappy service industry job. I'm not going to sell my body or be a drug dealer. Am I shit out of luck unless I marry a rich guy or win the lotto? I guess I am.
    E(66%) N (70%) F(63%) P (71%)
    Enneagram: 7w2, sx/so/sp
    Global 5: SLUAI

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    IEI

Oh man, I've been struggling with this for a while (seems like a lot of people are).

It's because I'm often overwhelmed by my perfectionist nature; I end up avoiding anything that has to do with my future goals for fear that I'll attempt "things" (everything's really vague in my brain) and won't reach the standards I try to achieve.
    I won't allow myself to become passionate about anything because that'll mean intentionally becoming vulnerable to my own mental barbs.
    And then when I decide that I seriously need to stop avoiding crap, I feel like there's way too much lost time to make up, way too many things that I want to do, should do, need to do--it's all too late, so what's the point, right?

A way that helps me deal with this is to simplify everything. I write on a piece of notebook paper what I enjoy doing, what I want to see myself doing in the future. Then, I think about what I can do in the present that will help me achieve whatever I wrote down.

So my thoughts will be, "Well, one day I'll find some profound purpose in my life that'll motivate me, but not today, what's the point... someday..."
    to
    "If I don't do A, I won't reach B."

And if I don't know what B is, I'll make something up until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Shit adds up man. One day you're too lazy to wipe after #2, next day you got ass gangrene.

If that visual isn't enough to motivate you, nothing is.
    Lmao! That's a nice visual.
    "So I say, live and let live. Thats my motto. Live and let live.
    Anyone who cant go along with that, take him outside and shoot the motherfucker."
    - George Carlin