• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Archetypes, Cognitive Dissonance and all that Jazz

wolfy

awsm
I was thinking today while at the gym how in a lot of ways ISFP and ISTP represent archetypes that have been fighting for space in my head from the very start. For as long as my mind goes back. Causing a kind of cognitive dissonance. And that is where the confusion stems from over the types. Anybody else get that?

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Confusion yes. Split personality no

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Well its up to you if you want to live your whole life after archetypes or create a new one

wolfy

awsm
Well its up to you if you want to live your whole life after archetypes or create a new one

That's true. It is interesting how the types have revealed that, that was there long before I ever heard of MBTI. Create a new archetype. Hmmm...interesting.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
It's true that if someone seeks for direction, he has to get to know a lot of different ones and may it be to just faintly grasp the concept at all. But one should never stop at one point. The sky is the limit.

I know that even at age 90 I will learn things or to be more precise in my case at age 90 I will prolly become finally an adult :D

Just dont give up, the world can need one or two more fine guys like you are

wolfy

awsm
It's true that if someone seeks for direction, he has to get to know a lot of different ones and may it be to just faintly grasp the concept at all. But one should never stop at one point. The sky is the limit.

I know that even at age 90 I will learn things or to be more precise in my case at age 90 I will prolly become finally an adult :D

Just dont give up, the world can need one or two more fine guys like you are

Thanks for that. I would never give up now, I keep learning more about myself.

I can see that ISTP in some ways represented the hero and explorer archetype. Whereas the ISFP represented the jesster and creator archetype to me. So there was a fight between these two. A desire to be more pragmatic etc that I found in the ISTP descriptions. But I fit the creator and jester archetype more than anything else. I'm not attempting to box myself in, just using them as tools for self reflection.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
I want both, I want all the types thanks. :D

wolfy

awsm
This is not really about types. It's about one of the reasons why we get into a bind over two types. What is behind that? Each type has it's own kind of archetype built up around it. I'm talking about the overall image of a type.

It made complete sense in my head but seems to get lost a little in translation.

phthalocyanine

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx
could it be associated with the 'practical' versus 'ideal'...?

like, one side representing what we think makes the most functional sense for us to be (what we're good at),
and one closer to what we'd want to be, independent of practical expectations (what we want to be good at)?

wolfy

awsm
could it be associated with the 'practical' versus 'ideal'...?

like, one side representing what we think makes the most functional sense for us to be (what we're good at),
and one closer to what we'd want to be, independent of practical expectations (what we want to be good at)?

Yeah, that's right. For me, a striving for more pragmatism as an ideal.

phthalocyanine

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx
so ISTP represents the more pragmatic ideal?

interesting.. i wonder if the ISTP archetype differs a lot from person to person?

i know some ISTPs that seem to prefer to see themselves as astute and uncomplicated, while others prefer more rebellion..

i associate ISTP with a sort of 'lone ranger' figure... the marlboro man is all ISTP.

I was thinking today while at the gym how in a lot of ways ISFP and ISTP represent archetypes that have been fighting for space in my head from the very start. For as long as my mind goes back. Causing a kind of cognitive dissonance. And that is where the confusion stems from over the types. Anybody else get that?

...sometimes i think i'm a bastard hybrid of ENTP and INFJ, evening out to an INFP-like creation.

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
...sometimes i think i'm a bastard hybrid of ENTP and INFJ, evening out to an INFP-like creation.

I can relate to that, but for me it seems like I have a combo of Ni/Ne and then Ti, and THEN Fe.

Ni/Ne > Ti > Fe > Se

It would make sense with my habit of spewing out a random, halfbaked thought that only makes sense to me and makes other people go ':shock:'

Moonlit Serenity

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Perhaps it's because you have both high levels of T and F... and you can adjust to the situation based on what is needed at the time? Perhaps one cannot be entirely pigeon holed into a single 4 letter type?

Sunny Ghost

Thanks for that. I would never give up now, I keep learning more about myself.

I can see that ISTP in some ways represented the hero and explorer archetype. Whereas the ISFP represented the jesster and creator archetype to me. So there was a fight between these two. A desire to be more pragmatic etc that I found in the ISTP descriptions. But I fit the creator and jester archetype more than anything else. I'm not attempting to box myself in, just using them as tools for self reflection.
I think ISFP's can very much be the hero and explorer types as well. You can go from Adam Sandler (Jester) to Michael Jackson (Creator) to Harry Potter (Hero/Explorer). There are many shades of each mbti type.

According to PMAI Archetypes, I relate to the seeker, though the orphan resonates quite a bit with me.

wolfy

awsm
That's an interesting take on it. I like the Adam Sandler spin on it, food for thought...

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yes. I totally relate. I have always had an ENFP performer side to my personality, dancing on top of tables and commandeering crowds so I can sing for them, and smiling broadly at the camera, not to mention talking too much and laughing too loudly, and having a very strong need for freedom and change.

On the other hand I have this more reclusive, orderly, polite, deeply imaginative writer side to my personality that seems more INFJ.

EDIT: I think this is why people have suggested ISFP for me, at least according to function theory, blaming my Se for my seemingly-extroverted performer antics, and the Fi/Ni combo for the writing and such, methinks.