User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Archetypes, Cognitive Dissonance and all that Jazz

Quote Originally Posted by phthalocyanine View Post
    could it be associated with the 'practical' versus 'ideal'...?

like, one side representing what we think makes the most functional sense for us to be (what we're good at),
    and one closer to what we'd want to be, independent of practical expectations (what we want to be good at)?
    Yeah, that's right. For me, a striving for more pragmatism as an ideal.

9w1 sx

so ISTP represents the more pragmatic ideal?

interesting.. i wonder if the ISTP archetype differs a lot from person to person?

i know some ISTPs that seem to prefer to see themselves as astute and uncomplicated, while others prefer more rebellion..

i associate ISTP with a sort of 'lone ranger' figure... the marlboro man is all ISTP.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    I was thinking today while at the gym how in a lot of ways ISFP and ISTP represent archetypes that have been fighting for space in my head from the very start. For as long as my mind goes back. Causing a kind of cognitive dissonance. And that is where the confusion stems from over the types. Anybody else get that?
    ...sometimes i think i'm a bastard hybrid of ENTP and INFJ, evening out to an INFP-like creation.

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.."
    -Oscar Wilde

...sometimes i think i'm a bastard hybrid of ENTP and INFJ, evening out to an INFP-like creation.
    I can relate to that, but for me it seems like I have a combo of Ni/Ne and then Ti, and THEN Fe.

Ni/Ne > Ti > Fe > Se

It would make sense with my habit of spewing out a random, halfbaked thought that only makes sense to me and makes other people go ''
    'Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and its better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.' - Marilyn Monroe

This is who I am, escapist, paradise-seeker.

Anthropology Major out of Hamline University. St. Paul, Minnesota.

Junior Member Array Moonlit Serenity's Avatar

Perhaps it's because you have both high levels of T and F... and you can adjust to the situation based on what is needed at the time? Perhaps one cannot be entirely pigeon holed into a single 4 letter type?

Wow, old thread! Yeah, I think you're right.

4w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    Thanks for that. I would never give up now, I keep learning more about myself.

I can see that ISTP in some ways represented the hero and explorer archetype. Whereas the ISFP represented the jesster and creator archetype to me. So there was a fight between these two. A desire to be more pragmatic etc that I found in the ISTP descriptions. But I fit the creator and jester archetype more than anything else. I'm not attempting to box myself in, just using them as tools for self reflection.
    I think ISFP's can very much be the hero and explorer types as well. You can go from Adam Sandler (Jester) to Michael Jackson (Creator) to Harry Potter (Hero/Explorer). There are many shades of each mbti type.

According to PMAI Archetypes, I relate to the seeker, though the orphan resonates quite a bit with me.
    "I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green

That's an interesting take on it. I like the Adam Sandler spin on it, food for thought...

6w7 sx
    SEE Fi

Yes. I totally relate. I have always had an ENFP performer side to my personality, dancing on top of tables and commandeering crowds so I can sing for them, and smiling broadly at the camera, not to mention talking too much and laughing too loudly, and having a very strong need for freedom and change.

On the other hand I have this more reclusive, orderly, polite, deeply imaginative writer side to my personality that seems more INFJ.

EDIT: I think this is why people have suggested ISFP for me, at least according to function theory, blaming my Se for my seemingly-extroverted performer antics, and the Fi/Ni combo for the writing and such, methinks.
    "Sentiment without action is the ruin of the soul." - Edward Abbey

SEE-Fi /Gamma