123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Default The sad face expression

I decided to do a bit of experimenting on reactions of people.
    I got the idea because I rarely see people do a sad face expression in real life. Men like to look tough and show no signs of weakness while women try to look charming. This is why it's a bit hard to find someone who actually looks upset.
    So what I did was test out a few different facial features and ask for certain things and errands from people that it would be hard for them to give or do.

I tried the great smile expression.
    Doesn't work well. People look at me like "who does this guy think he is" and find it easier to refuse my requests as I look quite open.

I tried the very slight smile expression with closed lips.
    I've gotten good results with this. People think I'm a good hearted fellow who has no bad intentions and I look a bit submissive.

I tried the neutral face expression. A very dull look.
    Not good with this one. People will treat me like the average person. I look like a nobody and I'm not worth their time.

I tried the bored, 'your wasting my time' expression (which is my most used expression)
    This gets alright results. What I do is use the expression and if they hesitate giving answer I purposely use a body language expression such as tapping on the table to make them say yes. They get the idea that I'm angry inside and as they hesitate I start physically showing my 'anger' which causes them to quickly say yes.

I tried the slightly angry serious face expression
    This works well towards most people. Some people would have a problem thinking "does this guy think he's better than me" but most of the time I guess people are too afraid to annoy and would do the request.

I tried the angry expression
    This has a black or white effect. Either the person will totally reject you or do what you want with beautiful results.

I tried the sad expression
    This... works wonders. The best expression to use to get what you want. Barely any people use it and if you use it people will get some sort of surprise. People will either feel sorry for you or they will see you as a submissive person and want to help you (they feel they have responsibilty over you).

Any thoughts?

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Sincerity always works the best.

In other words... don't *try* at all.

`
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Smile - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Although many different types of smiles have been identified and studied, researchers have devoted particular attention to an anatomical distinction first recognized by French physician Guillaume Duchenne. While conducting research on the physiology of facial expressions in the mid-nineteenth century, Duchenne identified two distinct types of smiles. A Duchenne smile involves contraction of both the zygomatic major muscle (which raises the corners of the mouth) and the orbicularis oculi muscle (which raises the cheeks and forms crow's feet around the eyes). A non-Duchenne smile involves only the zygomatic major muscle.[3] Many researchers believe that Duchenne smiles indicate genuine spontaneous emotions since most people cannot voluntarily contract the outer portion of the orbicularis oculi muscle.[4]
    vs.
    `

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

It was an experiment. I can't experiment without trying.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Ragingkatsuki View Post
    It was an experiment. I can't experiment without trying.
    True.

INTJs are infinitely weird.

I question how I find your type so charming.
    `

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

So when you smiled, did you try to make it look like a true Duchenne smile described in CaptainChick's quote? Did you use the muscles around the eyes?

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Well, I've started out as clueless as to human behavior, and experimented. I get you. I think of it much as scientific experiment, but much of it I really feel it and know it from inside out. So I think I know what you're getting at. Give an expression, observe the reaction.

I've tried expressions in front of a mirror. I'm not very good. If I actually really feel like something, i.e. interested, delighted, etc. I express it easily and well. For the most part, I think I can do okay with a courteous smile, expressions etc. which are mild and close to average.

I could never smile all the time with super happy face, McDonalds way.

I've seemed angry at times, and people have been worried, frightened and avoidant of me.

Too bad I think my interaction is dominated by the times I seem angry, pushing people away. People remember threatening persons for a very long time. Even if they weren't really threatening - or, if they weren't of any danger. Sad

I guess I've controlled this for the most part for the last 3 years. Everything I have done with people has improved.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    True.

INTJs are infinitely weird.

I question how I find your type so charming.
    INTJs are charming? I wouldn't comprehend it.

Quote Originally Posted by blankpages View Post
    So when you smiled, did you try to make it look like a true Duchenne smile described in CaptainChick's quote? Did you use the muscles around the eyes?
    Actually, I tried to use the muscle around the eyes in the slight smile experiment to try and make it look genuine.

Quote Originally Posted by Santtu View Post
    Well, I've started out as clueless as to human behavior, and experimented. I get you. I think of it much as scientific experiment, but much of it I really feel it and know it from inside out. So I think I know what you're getting at. Give an expression, observe the reaction.

I've tried expressions in front of a mirror. I'm not very good. If I actually really feel like something, i.e. interested, delighted, etc. I express it easily and well. For the most part, I think I can do okay with a courteous smile, expressions etc. which are mild and close to average.

I could never smile all the time with super happy face, McDonalds way.

I've seemed angry at times, and people have been worried, frightened and avoidant of me.

Too bad I think my interaction is dominated by the times I seem angry, pushing people away. People remember threatening persons for a very long time. Even if they weren't really threatening - or, if they weren't of any danger. Sad

I guess I've controlled this for the most part for the last 3 years. Everything I have done with people has improved.
    That's pretty cool. It's much better if you raise your eyebrows when dealing with people. It shows non-aggressiveness.

MBTI
    STP

Quote Originally Posted by Ragingkatsuki View Post
    I decided to do a bit of experimenting on reactions of people.
    I got the idea because I rarely see people do a sad face expression in real life. Men like to look tough and show no signs of weakness while women try to look charming. This is why it's a bit hard to find someone who actually looks upset.
    So what I did was test out a few different facial features and ask for certain things and errands from people that it would be hard for them to give or do.

I tried the great smile expression.
    Doesn't work well. People look at me like "who does this guy think he is" and find it easier to refuse my requests as I look quite open.

I tried the very slight smile expression with closed lips.
    I've gotten good results with this. People think I'm a good hearted fellow who has no bad intentions and I look a bit submissive.

I tried the neutral face expression. A very dull look.
    Not good with this one. People will treat me like the average person. I look like a nobody and I'm not worth their time.

I tried the bored, 'your wasting my time' expression (which is my most used expression)
    This gets alright results. What I do is use the expression and if they hesitate giving answer I purposely use a body language expression such as tapping on the table to make them say yes. They get the idea that I'm angry inside and as they hesitate I start physically showing my 'anger' which causes them to quickly say yes.

I tried the slightly angry serious face expression
    This works well towards most people. Some people would have a problem thinking "does this guy think he's better than me" but most of the time I guess people are too afraid to annoy and would do the request.

I tried the angry expression
    This has a black or white effect. Either the person will totally reject you or do what you want with beautiful results.

I tried the sad expression
    This... works wonders. The best expression to use to get what you want. Barely any people use it and if you use it people will get some sort of surprise. People will either feel sorry for you or they will see you as a submissive person and want to help you (they feel they have responsibilty over you).

Any thoughts?
    Please attach pictures :eek: :confused: :steam:

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Smilies don't clearly show what I mean. But I'll add proper pictures if I find them.