• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Come On

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
The truth is not the answer.
The truth is a question.

State your question.

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
Hm...ok.

Why am I so lazy?

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
The truth is not the answer.
The truth is a question.

State your question.

Are you saying that we can only seek truth, and get closer to it, and never actually have it entirely? And that it would be in vain to seek an all-encompassing solution?

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
Are you saying that we can only seek truth, and get closer to it, and never actually have it entirely? And that it would be in vain to seek an all-encompassing solution?
A truthful question.

All the questions have been truthful. Thank you.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
What shall we do today?

R

RDF

If I'm your Dixie chicken,
will you be my Tennessee lamb?
And can we walk together
Down in Dixieland?

Anonymous

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Why do so many people have the illusion that we live in a world where mass suffering is a rare event, only a small portion of people hold the capacity to cause this kind of suffering, and that they would never take advantage of another person? The truth of the matter is that the greater portion of the world's population is suffering, every single person born has the capacity to cause great suffering (it just takes the right environment/situation), and most people in "civilized" societies have taken benefit from extortion (living on land that was gained through genocide or theft, wearing clothes that were made in sweatshops, or willingly accepting any other resources that were gained only through the use of other people).

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Why do so many people have the illusion that we live in a world where mass suffering is a rare event, only a small portion of people hold the capacity to cause this kind of suffering, and that they would never take advantage of another person?

The truth of the matter is that the greater portion of the world's population is suffering, every single person born has the capacity to cause great suffering (it just takes the right environment/situation), and most people in "civilized" societies have taken benefit from extortion (living on land that was gained through genocide or theft, wearing clothes that were made in sweatshops, or willingly accepting any other resources that were gained only through the use of other people).

How do you know we don't hold that illusion, and just don't care as long as we and our friends aren't the ones who suffer? I mean, should we be expected to give up what we have because of where it came from, and risk bringing suffering/loss on ourselves? Why should we make it our problem if those people you speak of, who are suffering, never did anything for us, or care about us? There's no reason to.

How do you know we don't help the people we help to make ourselves look good? And doesn't it make them look generous to themselves, to have done something for someone else for nothing? Why is the idea of pure self-interest so painful and hard to accept?

Anonymous

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
How do you know we don't hold that illusion, and just don't care as long as we and our friends aren't the ones who suffer? I mean, should we be expected to give up what we have because of where it came from, and risk bringing suffering/loss on ourselves? Why should we make it our problem if those people you speak of, who are suffering, never did anything for us, or care about us? There's no reason to.

How do you know we don't help the people we help to make ourselves look good? And doesn't it make them look generous to themselves, to have done something for someone else for nothing? Why is the idea of pure self-interest so painful and hard to accept?

Maybe I was referring to an entirely different group of people, and not your type of person? I myself am out for pure self-interest, which is partially why I made that post in the first place. If I were actually against that kind of behavior, it would have been dreadfully hypocritical and all, sitting in my comfy house on the internet.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
Maybe I was referring to an entirely different group of people, and not your type of person? I myself am out for pure self-interest, which is partially why I made that post in the first place. If I were actually against that kind of behavior, it would have been dreadfully hypocritical and all, sitting in my comfy house on the internet.
Is guilt hypocricy?

You drink your cheap coffee (produced by slave labour) from your cheap coffee mug (produced by slave labour) while wearing cheap jeans (produced by slave labour) and a cheap cotton shirt to match (produced by slave labour) and cheap sandals (produced by slave labour).

Then you find out that the red brick house on the other side of the street is an illegal workshop.
Twenty imported, undernourished and beaten children work there 18 hours a day, without pay. You know this, because they run a brothel also, using these same children, and there are rumours.

And then you decide to make this anonymous phone call to the police.
You watch from your window when the police arrives with sirens blaring.
Was it hypocricy that caused you make the call? Or is it guilt?

Maybe the police does not arrive.
By then you know they are in on the game.
Does this additional piece of new information make you feel better? More hypocritical perhaps?

niffer

MBTI Type
ENfP
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Is it then that we live to guess?

niffer

MBTI Type
ENfP
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
LOLZ i got wildcat!!!! :banana:

But it can't be such a simple concept, can it? Surely at least more complicated than this thread makes it seem lol. I dunno.

We know we can never get confirmation though..to see if we're right or wrong. Though by living you are presenting to the world your alleged question, you can keep it to yourself a lot of the time, right? Well, I guess that doesn't matter. We'll always be taking in things, trying to figure ourselves out.

So what happens when we are willing to stop guessing? Is that truth? Or is it just death?

niffer

MBTI Type
ENfP
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Is guilt hypocricy?

You drink your cheap coffee (produced by slave labour) from your cheap coffee mug (produced by slave labour) while wearing cheap jeans (produced by slave labour) and a cheap cotton shirt to match (produced by slave labour) and cheap sandals (produced by slave labour).

Then you find out that the red brick house on the other side of the street is an illegal workshop.
Twenty imported, undernourished and beaten children work there 18 hours a day, without pay. You know this, because they run a brothel also, using these same children, and there are rumours.

And then you decide to make this anonymous phone call to the police.
You watch from your window when the police arrives with sirens blaring.
Was it hypocricy that caused you make the call? Or is it guilt?

Maybe the police does not arrive.
By then you know they are in on the game.
Does this additional piece of new information make you feel better? More hypocritical perhaps?

They are totally unrelated. Hypocrisy starts when you attack someone else.

You can feel guilty for being hypocritical. In this situation, I suppose you would only be able to feel guilty at the end, because you weren't able to do anything. And then the feeling of being hypocritical would come.