• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

American Culture

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I'm curious about what people would define as uniquely "American" culture, independently of any particular region.

When I look at it and average out anything unusual between different regions and eras, the picture that appears is rather bland. I mostly see 18th century European enlightenment ideals modified by Protestantism, along with a mildly localized form of British traditions from that period. And lots of modern technology and "new age" ideas that seem to be permeating the globe thrown on top of it all. The flavor seems very generic, mostly all that you can tell is that we're a Western culture with a hint of diluted British and Protestant flavor.

One thing a lot of people cite is the idea of valuing the individual, freedom, equality, and democracy, but many of those things are from as far back as Greece or the Enlightenment. You might say that "Well, they were biased because they didn't apply those ideals to women and blacks," but to be honest, America didn't either at first. So clearly, this sort of thing is not uniquely an example of American culture, but is part of our shared heritage with the Western world at large.

So far, the only uniquely American idea I've found is the idea that we're a "melting pot," and not any kind of single, homogeneous group.

So, what else would you say applies to American culture as a whole, that isn't related to a specific region, and isn't shared with Western/European/English civilization as a whole? I find myself having trouble thinking of such qualities, except perhaps for the strong Protestant influence.

It's possible that I'm too close to the problem. Maybe people from outside the U.S. could help us note a few?

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
You're going to apply a single culture to a country that is 3rd/4th largest in land area, 3rd largest in population, and is arguably renowned for having immigrants from almost every region on Earth?

If you were going for culture, you'd take the fact that the United States started out as a largely agrarian society and has since developed from that stage. American English is very distinct from the other parts of the Anglophone world. There's a reason for that. Compared English culture(from which American culture arguably descended), American culture is less formal.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
You're going to apply a single culture to a country that is 3rd/4th largest in land area, 3rd largest in population, and is arguably renowned for having immigrants from almost every region on Earth?

Yes, that was going to be my next thought. I was going to say that I think America as a whole is too big for us to apply a single culture, and wonder if anyone else thought so. I can see regional cultures in America, but I don't really see us having a single culture (for the most part) that can be generalized about the way European nations are. Then again, we are talking about a much larger nation.
If you were going for culture, you'd take the fact that the United States started out as a largely agrarian society and has since developed from that stage. American English is very distinct from the other parts of the Anglophone world. There's a reason for that. Compared English culture(from which American culture arguably descended), American culture is less formal.

Ugh. That actually annoys me. I find the informality around me very annoying, and tend to think in a very formal way. So I've probably unconsciously filtered out and dismissed much of American culture as simple backwardness or rawness that needs to be civilized and refined out of us. :doh:

Perhaps I've missed a lot of it because I tend only to deal with and contemplate the more refined side of things.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The southwest is not very influenced by Britain at all. I suppose the Latin influence is still partly European, but it's mixed so much with the Native American cultures that it's something very different.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
So far, the only uniquely American idea I've found is the idea that we're a "melting pot," and not any kind of single, homogeneous group.

We're not a melting pot, though. We're a cultural mosaic. There are lots of little pieces that are still distinct making up the whole, and being able to make it all make a somewhat coherent picture without coherent development is impressive for such a large area.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
American humor, ideals and tolerance is unique to this world. And if you think I am wrong about tolerance then come visit me :).

Besides that you got Burgers, Pizza hut, McDonalds, I wouldnt know what to do without them in my daily life.

But basically its the 3 words I said above; for sure you got a lot of idiots in your country, but who doesnt ? I'ld like to miss you no more, without the American Culture my own country would have never become what it is today.

The democratic ideal send out from the American Culture throughout the world, is a thing unmatched in history. And its what your culture is.

And besides that you got him, he stands for all that ideals in one person:

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovLS9mEA7IM"]:D[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0n6spcwUfYk"]xDD[/YOUTUBE]

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
The southwest is not very influenced by Britain at all. I suppose the Latin influence is still partly European, but it's mixed so much with the Native American cultures that it's something very different.

Well, yes, but the government structures, the "official" ways of doing things aren't really influenced by this except that people are being encouraged to learn Spanish. Maybe the informal side is, but I wouldn't know. I tend not to pay much attention to anything that isn't "official."

Also, the southwest is a region. I was asking about the nation as a whole, but I'll take it that you agree that that perspective is too large.

Haphazard said:
We're not a melting pot, though. We're a cultural mosaic. There are lots of little pieces that are still distinct making up the whole, and being able to make it all make a somewhat coherent picture without coherent development is impressive for such a large area.

I suppose that's correct. They do all tend to remain distinct rather than blending well, now that I think about it... hmm.

entropie said:
American humor, ideals and tolerance is unique to this world.

Could you please elaborate? That's rather vague. What kind of humor? Which ideals? What kind of tolerance? Religious tolerance?

Anyway, I suppose I'll concede that McDonalds and Disney are symbols of American culture. They're pretty good, I think. :)

I wonder if Starbucks would count, too?

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
:yim_rolling_on_the_

Fast food: our great contribution to the world!

You can think if you want about sausages and beer as fast food and drugs aswell.

I really hate you for being so hard on yourself, but maybe that's exactly the thing I can learn from you. Not being arrogant

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
xD

Could you please elaborate? That's rather vague. What kind of humor? Which ideals? What kind of tolerance? Religious tolerance?

The thing is your ideals paved almost 80 years of peace in the major parts of the world and if you dont believe it, study history. That has never happened before.

From now on we have to pull it together to improve the world further.

American Culture is a fact and no matter how hard you try, its to late, you really got an identity now :)

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
xD

The thing is your ideals paved almost 80 years of peace in the major part of the world and if you dont believe it, study history. That has never happened before.

From now on we have to pull it together to improve the world further.

American Culture is a fact and no matter how hard you try, its to late, you really got an identity now :)

You're telling me what we did, I know we brought peace during WWII, but you're not explaining WHICH ideals. America has several ideals, which ones brought peace?

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Maybe the informal side is, but I wouldn't know. I tend not to pay much attention to anything that isn't "official."

Also, the southwest is a region. I was asking about the nation as a whole, but I'll take it that you agree that that perspective is too large.

I suppose that's correct. They do all tend to remain distinct rather than blending well, now that I think about it... hmm.

Well, yes, I was referring to culture, not government.
And while I think that there is obviously a distinct American culture (especially from a foreigner's perspective, I am sure), defining it as mostly Anglo based seems off the mark. I think more Americans have a German heritage than a British one, for example. Even a lot of "American" foods are German inspired.

You can think if you want about sausages and beer as fast food and drugs aswell.

I really hate you for being so hard on yourself, but maybe that's exactly the thing I can learn from you. Not being arrogant

Americans aren't arrogant?

:yim_rolling_on_the_

Just teasing ;). I also dislike how it became cool to bag on Americans (considering I am one).

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
oh gosh cry me a river, i need a beer

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
American culture is a pretty loosely defined concept. I mean, isn't America where a lot of cultural blending comes in? I've kind of thought of it that way. Think about America: we didn't have government here until the 17th century! How can be hava our own unique culture when he have been stumbling along for the last 250 years. We were mied up and backwards in 1776, in 1865, in 1945, and still to this day, America is still pretty mixed up.

I believe in the ideals that America was founded upon. The Founding Fathers were nothing special, but their ideas were Revolutionary and shouldn't be forgotten. That we're all promised life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness...of the people, by the people, for the people...We the People...I'd say we're pretty unique in this manner.

I get sick of the amout of criticism that America gets today. It's like there are a few people making poor decisions and the rest of the country has to pay for it. You may call Americans fat and dumb but that doesn't mean we aren't human. That doesn't mean you have the right to criticize us and think ill of us. Becuase our culture is different. Not wrong.

So next time you go and poke fun of American ideals and culture (Entropie), consdier these things. Remember where we came from, who we are, and that you can think of us in any way you want, but it doesn't mean our ways or less than yours, that our ideas are less important than yours, or that our culture is unacceptable and laughable.

I mean, Americans really have something to believe in. It's sad that so many of Americans have forgot this. But remember that people fought to the death for our independence and uniqueness as a culture and country, and to abandom or disagree with these things is an insult to the Americans of today, the Americans of yesterday, and the Americans of tomorrow!

There. I think I made my point.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Cheap pork-snout meat-flavored sausage shaped food product and watered down donkey piss beer for everyone! Wahoo!

It's a feat to accept compliment, you will learn that.

I wish I could proud myself with having ur history.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
pshaw, no way. I'm too American.

I know. American culture: More, better, faster, stronger, now, now, NOW.

You must see it changing right now. Culture is always in a fluent state. But your ideals stay the same. You learn from mistakes and then improve.

Heck how old are you again ? :D

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Well, yes, I was referring to culture, not government.
And while I think that there is obviously a distinct American culture (especially from a foreigner's perspective, I am sure), defining it as mostly Anglo based seems off the mark. I think more Americans have a German heritage than a British one, for example. Even a lot of "American" foods are German inspired.

Ah, yes. Hamburgers are actually original despite what the name would imply, but Frankfurters aren't. French Fries aren't that original either (I think they came from Belgium).

I think we did come up with Apple Pie, though.

I'm really having trouble seeing anything unofficial or informal as valid, though. Perhaps I'm just too J to see the culture clearly because I'm not willing to behave or think in an informal manner, and expect to see something that applies to the entire US rather than something local.