User Tag List

First 5678917 Last

Results 61 to 70 of 295

  1. #61
    Member slant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    TOTO
    Posts
    88

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Adam Smith was English...
    Please explain this comment in detail.

  2. #62
    Protocol Droid Athenian200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    8,828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by slant View Post
    Please explain this comment in detail.
    According to an encyclopedia:

    "The individual who comes closest to being the originator of contemporary capitalism is the Scottish philosopher Adam Smith, who first set forth the essential economic principles that undergird this system. In his classic An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations (1776), Smith sought to show how it was possible to pursue private gain in ways that would further not just the interests of the individual but those of society as a whole. Society's interests are met by maximum production of the things that people want. In a now famous phrase, Smith said that the combination of self-interest, private property, and competition among sellers in markets will lead producers “as by an invisible hand” to an end that they did not intend, namely, the well-being of society."

    It was published right around the time America was declaring independence. Now tell me America wasn't profoundly influenced by European thought around the time of it's founding.

    Modern Europeans may or may not take these ideas as seriously as we do, but I do think that the intellectual atmosphere of Europe (Enlightenment) at that time is responsible for a lot of what we take for granted today.

  3. #63
    Nerd King Usurper Edgar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    4,209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post



    That'll be the day! The American Dream is not rooted in American Reality at all. I wish, LOL!

    They should start calling it the American Delusion. I've seen little evidence that things often work that way in America. Many can't even find a job despite searching desperately.
    *sigh* America is a country where poor people are fat.

    Sorry, but as many opportunities as this country offers, not everyone can be the next Bill Gates or Arnold Schwarzenegger.

    Anyway, even you had the smarts, you are destined to spend your life in mediocrity due to your shitty attitude.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

  4. #64
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    The 1920's man. The 1920's were OURS. I love the 1920's. It's really the only decade in this nation after the 18th century that makes me feel proud of this country.

    Oh, and we created basketball and jazz.

  5. #65
    Protocol Droid Athenian200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    8,828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    *sigh* America is a country where poor people are fat.
    Eating out of garbage cans as much and as quickly as you can before someone sees you will do that. Poor people are often fat, actually, because they go on a constant cycle between starvation mode and stuffing their face, saving all the energy they can get.
    Sorry, but as many opportunities as this country offers, not everyone can be the next Bill Gates or Arnold Schwarzenegger.

    Anyway, even you had the smarts, you are destined to spend your life in mediocrity due to your shitty attitude.
    I'm not talking about being the next Bill Gates or Arnold Schwarzenegger. I'm talking about being able to an afford an apartment and hold down a job. How can you say there's "plenty of opportunity" if so many people (perhaps soon to be including myself) are struggling to do just that?

  6. #66
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Posts
    14,031

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Eating out of garbage cans as much and as quickly as you can before someone sees you will do that.


    I'm not talking about being the next Bill Gates or Arnold Schwarzenegger. I'm talking about being able to an afford an apartment and hold down a job. How can you say there's "plenty of opportunity" if so many people (perhaps soon to be including myself) are struggling to do just that?
    Unemployment is still under 10%. 9 out of 10 eligible adults have a job, that sounds like plenty of opportunity to me.

  7. #67
    Protocol Droid Athenian200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    8,828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Unemployment is still under 10%. 9 out of 10 eligible adults have a job, that sounds like plenty of opportunity to me.
    Yeah, but it's all going to older people who have experience and college degrees. And people with ridiculously good social skills who can sucker people into hiring them.

    The opportunity only exists for experienced, connected, or talented people.

  8. #68
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Eating out of garbage cans as much and as quickly as you can before someone sees you will do that. Poor people are often fat, actually, because they go on a constant cycle between starvation mode and stuffing their face, saving all the energy they can get.


    I agree with this statement. Often when homeless people eat, it's cheap fast food because that's all they can afford or what anyone will buy them. Then of course they choose the fattiest, most filling thing possible because they don't know when they'll eat next.

    Not only that, but poorly educated people are often poor, and poorly educated people are most affected by advertisements for fast food and junk food.

    I work in a grocery store. It seems like the more educated or more financially secure a person is, the better their food choices are in the grocery cart. Often the people with the most disgusting quantities of cheap processed foods are also ignorant people on food stamps. That's also a part of it.

    Which begs the question of why there's such a schism between the rich and poor in such a wealthy country in the first place, and why these people aren't better educated if they live in a first world nation.

  9. #69
    Protocol Droid Athenian200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    8,828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    I agree with this statement. Often when homeless people eat, it's cheap fast food because that's all they can afford or what anyone will buy them. Then of course they choose the fattiest, most filling thing possible because they don't know when they'll eat next.

    Not only that, but poorly educated people are often poor, and poorly educated people are most affected by advertisements for fast food and junk food.

    I work in a grocery store. It seems like the more educated or more financially secure a person is, the better their food choices are in the grocery cart. Often the people with the most disgusting quantities of cheap processed foods are also ignorant people on food stamps. That's also a part of it.

    Which begs the question of why there's such a schism between the rich and poor in such a wealthy country in the first place, and why these people aren't better educated if they live in a first world nation.
    Yes, yes, you seem to get it.

    Those are the questions people should be asking.

  10. #70
    Nerd King Usurper Edgar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    4,209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Eating out of garbage cans as much and as quickly as you can before someone sees you will do that. Poor people are often fat, actually, because they go on a constant cycle between starvation mode and stuffing their face, saving all the energy they can get.
    Are you saying you can go from malnourished to fat from a single episode of stuffing your face?

    Do you think before you type or are you genuinely mentally challenged?

    Anyway, I can't imagine starving to death in America, unless you are insane and can't think straight enough to go to a local shelter or a food kitchen.

    For all the years I lived in this country, I am yet to see a single person eat from a garbage can. And I lived in shitty parts of New York. Now I've seen bums fish out recyclable cans from garbage, but they eat in McDonalds. You might say McDonalds is a "garbage food", but there are a lot of people around the globe who view a hamburger as a fucking thanksgiving feast.

    I'm not talking about being the next Bill Gates or Arnold Schwarzenegger. I'm talking about being able to an afford an apartment and hold down a job. How can you say there's "plenty of opportunity" if so many people (perhaps soon to be including myself) are struggling to do just that?
    Newsflash: the world is in a deep recession. Sorry to be the bringer of bad news.

    When I said "plenty of opportunity" it was in relation to opportunities afforded in other countries. So yeah, chances are you'll have a bit of difficulty finding a well paying job during current economy. But hey, you can afford a computer and internet that allows you to post about how shitty America is - a lot of poor people around the world could feed themselves for years just for the price of your computer.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

Similar Threads

  1. [Fe] Extraverted Feeling in American Culture
    By Gabe_2 in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 08-16-2015, 01:03 PM
  2. Of death and children and American culture... What's the reason?
    By Risen in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-18-2012, 11:58 AM
  3. Why is American Culture so against the Martial Arts and Fight Sports
    By DiscoBiscuit in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 85
    Last Post: 11-23-2010, 03:16 AM
  4. Americans--care to be my cultural interpreter?
    By Usehername in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-18-2009, 11:09 PM
  5. Web 2.0 - the death of culture?
    By Langrenus in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-04-2007, 08:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO