First 1927282930 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Really? I've heard differently, even in Italy. Then again culture in Italy is kind of separated so much in all the regions that if you go one place it probably doesn't mean the same thing in the other.

The point is that a smile is free. For no reason. And it's not an invitation to get closer (as it is in Latin America -- is that the case in Spain?), it's merely to tell them that you're all there and not bleeding profusely or anything else panic-inducing.
    Ah uhm dunno, here I guess people are more likely to smile when you strike up casual conversation with them, for example when waiting in line somewhere, at class, or in the train. Not just going around smiling at everybody, right
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    9w1

Well I could sum up the difference between Americans and Finns with these

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvWVxHEaWDU"]American Complaints (Chicago)[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATXV3DzKv68"]Finnish Complaints[/YOUTUBE]
    'Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and its better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.' - Marilyn Monroe

This is who I am, escapist, paradise-seeker.
    -Nightwish

Anthropology Major out of Hamline University. St. Paul, Minnesota.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Okay, after much research, I think I have found two things:

1. superstition

2. desire to "fix" things
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Okay, after much research, I think I have found two things:

1. superstition

2. desire to "fix" things
    Nice!
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    EXFP

Native American culture. I think that would be it :P

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

After doing a search on Billy Joel and his type ( I always thought ISTP) I was astounded to find endless responses about depression, decay, things people don't do any more, whatever, it was horrible. ..Billy Joel did the 50s, early 60s, but that was cool in the 80s, like Cry Baby and Edward Scissorhands.

I dk, this is as American to me as Lynard Skynard, and Nirvana, I didn't know until today people wanted to commit suicide over Piano Man.

I'm kinda reeling in the years here, and outside my generation. I remember memorizing We Didn't Start the Fire. I thought this was a safe choice, now I'm a bit scared.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    I'm curious about what people would define as uniquely "American" culture, independently of any particular region.

When I look at it and average out anything unusual between different regions and eras, the picture that appears is rather bland. I mostly see 18th century European enlightenment ideals modified by Protestantism, along with a mildly localized form of British traditions from that period. And lots of modern technology and "new age" ideas that seem to be permeating the globe thrown on top of it all. The flavor seems very generic, mostly all that you can tell is that we're a Western culture with a hint of diluted British and Protestant flavor.

One thing a lot of people cite is the idea of valuing the individual, freedom, equality, and democracy, but many of those things are from as far back as Greece or the Enlightenment. You might say that "Well, they were biased because they didn't apply those ideals to women and blacks," but to be honest, America didn't either at first. So clearly, this sort of thing is not uniquely an example of American culture, but is part of our shared heritage with the Western world at large.

So far, the only uniquely American idea I've found is the idea that we're a "melting pot," and not any kind of single, homogeneous group.

So, what else would you say applies to American culture as a whole, that isn't related to a specific region, and isn't shared with Western/European/English civilization as a whole? I find myself having trouble thinking of such qualities, except perhaps for the strong Protestant influence.

It's possible that I'm too close to the problem. Maybe people from outside the U.S. could help us note a few?

Likes asynartetic liked this post

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by ZNP-TBA View Post

You and me would agree if you didn't fantasize that Donald Trump was an intelligent man. And I must hold you completely accountable for that.

Quote Originally Posted by ZNP-TBA View Post
    You mistake my position which doesn't surprise me . I don't fantasize or even endorse DT. If you read all my posts on Trump they haven't been explicitly supporting him as 'my ideal candidate.' Rather I corrected the misinformation I perceived posted here about him and backed up my responses with sources.

Given that I see him as a better choice than Cruz, Kasich, Hillary, and yes , even Bernie but that doesn't mean I worship the dude or praise all of his shit.

Make sense?
    No, actually no. He's a fucking moron who isn't qualified to be president and only marginally intelligent people would ever vote for such a delusional moron. So no. There's absolutely no Trump argument, even from an aside.

It's like lol you're retarded. Its like listening to a fat girl having trouble breathing when she goes to sleep and wishing you could make her go vegan.

Sheep pill, broster asynartetic's Avatar

No Logo

Everyone should read this book.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    You and me would agree if you didn't fantasize that Donald Trump was an intelligent man. And I must hold you completely accountable for that.
    You mistake my position which doesn't surprise me . I don't fantasize or even endorse DT. If you read all my posts on Trump they haven't been explicitly supporting him as 'my ideal candidate.' Rather I corrected the misinformation I perceived posted here about him and backed up my responses with sources.

Given that I see him as a better choice than Cruz, Kasich, Hillary, and yes , even Bernie but that doesn't mean I worship the dude or praise all of his shit.

Make sense?
    Likes asynartetic liked this post