User Tag List

First 152324252627 Last

Results 241 to 250 of 295

  1. #241
    Don't Judge Me! Haphazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    6,707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    You do realise don't you that most of us think Americans have a paranoid view of the very government they elect themselves.
    The national government is made up of those with culture and concerns from the states, not national culture. This is because there is so little national culture.

    I'm so confused. Why not discuss regional culture in America? It's certainly there.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

  2. #242
    Your time is gonna come. Oom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    IsfP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTp
    Posts
    511

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    You do realise don't you that most of us think Americans have a paranoid view of the very government they elect themselves.
    We elect through a proxy. There's everything to be paranoid about.

  3. #243
    Your time is gonna come. Oom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    IsfP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTp
    Posts
    511

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    The national government is made up of those with culture and concerns from the states, not national culture. This is because there is so little national culture.

    I'm so confused. Why not discuss regional culture in America? It's certainly there.
    Your right. I've noticed a definite regional culture in places. It seems to be very prevalent in the south, but that might be because they have completely different accents and cuisine.

  4. #244
    Senior Member iamathousandapples's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    ILI
    Posts
    495

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oom View Post
    I'm sure that if they took that poll 50 years back America would be near the top, but you know. We've become conflicted. We've got too many things going on and the government is running amok.

    Our people are more concerned in their individuality more than their nationalistic views. Which is how I view it should be, as nationalism breeds prejudice.
    The government was running(more of) an amok 50 years ago than they are now. We're just finding out about what they did and how we're paying for their Cold War Antics.

    Also, I've considered hypersensitivity an American trait. Language, social events, physically, and so forth.

  5. #245
    Don't Judge Me! Haphazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    6,707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oom View Post
    Your right. I've noticed a definite regional culture in places. It seems to be very prevalent in the south, but that might be because they have completely different accents and cuisine.
    I mean, you hear the pundits arguing about national issues all the time, but a lot of what Congress does is argue over which the block grants and other money is apportioned to what states.

    Quote Originally Posted by iamathousandapples View Post
    Also, I've considered hypersensitivity an American trait. Language, social events, physically, and so forth.
    Could you explain this?
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

  6. #246
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,536

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    This is because there is so little national culture.
    So little national culture?

    Why, your popular culture suffuses the whole world.

  7. #247
    Don't Judge Me! Haphazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    6,707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    So little national culture?

    Why, your popular culture suffuses the whole world.
    But once it does that, it's no longer ours, you see.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

  8. #248
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,536

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    But once it does that, it's no longer ours, you see.
    My dear Haphazard,

    We all have two countries - our own and France.

    And we all have two cultures - our own and American.

    Victor.

  9. #249
    Senior Member iamathousandapples's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    ILI
    Posts
    495

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Could you explain this?
    Compare most European countries to the US. Most European countries will generally have pictures in newspapers that here would be considered "offensive". Also the general direction of the English Language following WWI.
    George Carlin - Soft Language Video by Glenn - MySpace Video

  10. #250
    Your time is gonna come. Oom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    IsfP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTp
    Posts
    511

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    My dear Haphazard,

    We all have two countries - our own and France.

    And we all have two cultures - our own and American.

    Victor.
    How do the Australians act when they are in "American" mode?

Similar Threads

  1. [Fe] Extraverted Feeling in American Culture
    By Gabe_2 in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 08-16-2015, 01:03 PM
  2. Of death and children and American culture... What's the reason?
    By Risen in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-18-2012, 11:58 AM
  3. Why is American Culture so against the Martial Arts and Fight Sports
    By DiscoBiscuit in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 85
    Last Post: 11-23-2010, 03:16 AM
  4. Americans--care to be my cultural interpreter?
    By Usehername in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-18-2009, 11:09 PM
  5. Web 2.0 - the death of culture?
    By Langrenus in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-04-2007, 08:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO