User Tag List

First 7151617181927 Last

Results 161 to 170 of 295

  1. #161
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,536

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiver View Post
    There is no other country with a level of charitable giving that compares anywhere close to ours. It's estimated that US charitable giving is twice that of the next closet country. There is no other culture that supports volunteering of time and service at the level we do. It began with Benjamin Franklin's public library and volunteer fire fighters.
    This is a self serving myth. As I understand it you are well down the list of per capita international aid donors.

    And we have here a thriving civil society based on volunteering.

    Why only the other day the, "Economist", published an international survey of countries that were supported by their people.

    Top of the list was Australia followed by Canada and Finland. Down around the bottom was the USA.

  2. #162
    Your time is gonna come. Oom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    IsfP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTp
    Posts
    511

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    This is a self serving myth. As I understand it you are well down the list of per capita international aid donors.

    And we have here a thriving civil society based on volunteering.

    Why only the other day the, "Economist", published an international survey of countries that were supported by their people.

    Top of the list was Australia followed by Canada and Finland. Down around the bottom was the USA.
    What does international aid donating and supporting your own country have to do with each other.

    International aid donations are supporting other countries.

    And the lack of support of our own country is because we've gotten so far away from our roots that a lot of us don't like what we've become.

  3. #163
    Member slant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    TOTO
    Posts
    88

    Default

    Second attempt at this debate.

    Wait....Americans actually have a culture?

  4. #164
    Don't Judge Me! Haphazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    6,707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by slant View Post
    Second attempt at this debate.

    Wait....Americans actually have a culture?
    Yes! We do! Isn't that awesome?
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

  5. #165
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,536

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oom View Post
    And the lack of support of our own country is because we've gotten so far away from our roots that a lot of us don't like what we've become.
    Your roots lie in Puritanism and your bourgeois revolution against the Crown in 1776.

    Just as my roots lie in the Aristocratic Ascendancy and the English and Scottish Enlightenment.

    Neither of us can escape our origins.

    We can though come to understand them and develop them further.

    So for short we can say your first job is to be a puritan revolutionary and my first job is to be an enlightened aristocrat.

    And our second job is to find way a puritan and an aristocrat can work fruitfully together.

    And already we have a good working relationship based on three treaties, a military treaty, a land treaty and an economic treaty.

    Why not read them?

  6. #166
    Member slant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    TOTO
    Posts
    88

    Default

    I converted into Judiasm because I wanted culture, and now I find out I already had one?

    Fuck. :/

  7. #167
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,536

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by slant View Post
    I converted into Judiasm because I wanted culture, and now I find out I already had one?
    Don't despair. Your country leads the West. And the West is based on three pillars - Ancient Greek Philosophy, Christianity and Judaism.

    And Judaism is our older brother. So we expect you to look out for us.

  8. #168
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    366

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Actually mental illness runs in my family and one of my sisters is schizoaffective. Psychiatric hospitals have saved her life on more than one occasion. Your opinion of the psychiatric community seems immature and pedestrian. Either that, or perhaps you suffer from Borderline Personality Disorder and therefore pathologically avoid all treatment. I highly doubt that you have any real experience with the phenomenon, however, because of your faulty comment about "dude" sticking things in people's arms, which is a Hollywood stereotype and realistically doesn't happen much anymore in real psychiatric hospitals. Schizophrenics also don't take lithium - that's bipolar disorder.
    Yes, perhaps I have borderline personality disorder. I probably won't get a shrink over it anyway... Personal jabs aside, I won't disagree that they help people. My point was that they're not perfect institutions that only rehabilitate people. I don't know if your sister has been in a county psych ward, but it sure as shit isn't pretty how they force people to take meds that screw them up even more (I know that lithium isn't used to treat schizophrenia). I have a problem with them treating people against their own wishes and their over-eagerness to commit people to these hell holes. And I'm speaking from experience when I say they go for the tranqs more quickly than they should.

  9. #169
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    693

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    I'm curious about what people would define as uniquely "American" culture, independently of any particular region.

    When I look at it and average out anything unusual between different regions and eras, the picture that appears is rather bland. I mostly see 18th century European enlightenment ideals modified by Protestantism, along with a mildly localized form of British traditions from that period. And lots of modern technology and "new age" ideas that seem to be permeating the globe thrown on top of it all. The flavor seems very generic, mostly all that you can tell is that we're a Western culture with a hint of diluted British and Protestant flavor.

    One thing a lot of people cite is the idea of valuing the individual, freedom, equality, and democracy, but many of those things are from as far back as Greece or the Enlightenment. You might say that "Well, they were biased because they didn't apply those ideals to women and blacks," but to be honest, America didn't either at first. So clearly, this sort of thing is not uniquely an example of American culture, but is part of our shared heritage with the Western world at large.

    So far, the only uniquely American idea I've found is the idea that we're a "melting pot," and not any kind of single, homogeneous group.

    So, what else would you say applies to American culture as a whole, that isn't related to a specific region, and isn't shared with Western/European/English civilization as a whole? I find myself having trouble thinking of such qualities, except perhaps for the strong Protestant influence.

    It's possible that I'm too close to the problem. Maybe people from outside the U.S. could help us note a few?
    If I could pick one thing that defined the majority of Americans it is an almost obsessive interest in sports. I'm not sure if it is as prevalent in other cultures but if you stay up on your current sports knowledge you will always find a group of comrades in any setting.

  10. #170
    pathwise dependent FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj
    Posts
    5,908

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    If I could pick one thing that defined the majority of Americans it is an almost obsessive interest in sports. I'm not sure if it is as prevalent in other cultures but if you stay up on your current sports knowledge you will always find a group of comrades in any setting.
    It's really common here in Italy too, for what's worth.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Similar Threads

  1. [Fe] Extraverted Feeling in American Culture
    By Gabe_2 in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 08-16-2015, 01:03 PM
  2. Of death and children and American culture... What's the reason?
    By Risen in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-18-2012, 11:58 AM
  3. Why is American Culture so against the Martial Arts and Fight Sports
    By DiscoBiscuit in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 85
    Last Post: 11-23-2010, 03:16 AM
  4. Americans--care to be my cultural interpreter?
    By Usehername in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-18-2009, 11:09 PM
  5. Web 2.0 - the death of culture?
    By Langrenus in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-04-2007, 08:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO