First 6141516171826 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    EIE

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    It's interesting that you see America as a great influence on Romanticism, though. That's generally seen as the department of the Germans and the English.
    Hrm... it's because Germans basically have started it. What happened in America though, is you took it further and in different direction, which ended up influencing modern literature (American romanticism was a late bloomer (Polish also, no worries ) and did not influence the romanticism itself but rather much later, general culture).

Athenian: I'm happy you liked it.
    "Act as though it was impossible to fail."
    Dorothea Brande

I started a real blog!

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    LOL. I knew what "yoghurt" was. I'm surprised he didn't know, I thought he had to be kidding. I mean, a one letter difference and it's yogurt. It even sounds the same.

More differences, in case he doesn't know them:

Color = Colour

Theater = Theatre

Also, British punctuation dictates placing the period that ends a sentence outside of the quotation marks unless it's a part of the quoted material, while American punctuation usually places them inside. So that's not a mistake, if you happen to see it and notice it.

And, that's pretty much everything you need to know to read British writing.
    colour, saviour, metre, connexion, centre, etc etc etc.

Brits also sometimes use single quotes instead of double quotes for dialogue and whatnot. I didn't know this until I proofread a British friend's story.

Saying an English spelling is correct or not is like saying someone's art analysis is correct or not. It's a matter of taste, unless it is, well, wrong.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    colour, saviour, metre, connexion, centre, etc etc etc.

Brits also sometimes use single quotes instead of double quotes for dialogue and whatnot. I didn't know this until I proofread a British friend's story.

Saying an English spelling is correct or not is like saying someone's art analysis is correct or not. It's a matter of taste, unless it is, well, wrong.
    Yeah the English language is also about 1/3 French, and since I minor in French I sometimes use the French spelling of a word instead of the English one. Although I'm an English major I'm not especially a grammar maven, so this stuff doesn't bother me in the slightest unless the person's communication is so poor it's virtually unreadable. I kind of like the British spellings. The quotation thing throws me off sometimes, though, even after reading many British novels.

MBTI
    INTJ

Yes, exactly, and that's wonderful. But it's also only partly true. As early as the 19th century the United States was invading Cuba, the Phillipines, Puerto Rico, Hawaii, and Alaska with decided imperialism. Not as "small community" as the romantic Americana pushers want to paint.
    Invading Alaska? Paying 7.2 mil in 1867 dollars wasnt exactly "invading". It was quite a hefty sum considering during the time Alaska was viewed as a frozen wasteland.

As for those banana republics, the reason we had the Monroe Doctrine in place was to counter European colonial influence, which, if you read the history was quite a threat to the US. Now ideally, it would have been nice if the pleasant grass wearing natives were not used as pawns in a white man's power game, but I'm afraid that's the nature of human politics.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

MBTI
    ENFJ

So apparently the most important right to Americans is the freedom to peaceably assemble, AKA the forgotten part of the first amendment.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Invading Alaska? Paying 7.2 mil in 1867 dollars wasnt exactly "invading". It was quite a hefty sum considering during the time Alaska was viewed as a frozen wasteland.

As for those banana republics, the reason we had the Monroe Doctrine in place was to counter European colonial influence, which, if you read the history was quite a threat to the US. Now ideally, it would have been nice if the pleasant grass wearing natives were not used as pawns in a white man's power game, but I'm afraid that's the nature of human politics.
    It was imperialism, even if we leave Alaska out of the mix.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

However, this used to be very common in England back in the day - the intense nationalism - and it also still exists in many non-Western countries. So the patriotism isn't necessarily unique to America. Lord knows the Nazis made good use of it in Germany as well.
    Nationalistic people are often loud and obnoxious and garner more attention. It's like focusing on a pimple instead of a person's whole face.

And most other Western countries have nationalistic types. It's not unique to the US at all to have people touting their country as the "best".
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    EIE

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Hmm... it looks like most of America's contributions (aside from abolishing slavery and women's rights, maybe?)
    I've missed that part - um... sorry, English did it first (abolishing slavery). American were pretty slow with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Yeah, nobody ever invade Alaska. If not for the gold Alaska wouldn't be considered a good business for 100 more years (until strategically important during Cold War - Jesus... imagine Cold War with USSR in Alaska. It would be A BIT harder, you guys )
    "Act as though it was impossible to fail."
    Dorothea Brande

I started a real blog!

The USA has an excellent high culture as well as a popular culture.

Unfortunately it is more profitable to export the popular culture to the world so the world only sees the popular culture of the USA.

So even more unfortunately anyone with good taste and an education receives a poor impression of USA culture.

This is not going to change and we are going to continue to be swamped by USA popular culture.

So we find ourselves a little like the monks of the dark ages who preserved the high culture of Ancient Greece in their monasteries.

And so today we must preserve our own high culture in the face of global popular culture from the USA, so that we will be ready for the next Renaissance of high culture.

MBTI
    ENTP

The classic American Dream is two-fold: #1) that you can potentially be better off educationally or financially than the previous generation and #2) that there is no ceiling imposed on you based on class distinction.

I think many people born after, say 1980, completely take #2 for granted and grouse because they feel cheated out of #1.
    That's just a personal opinion.

There is no other country with a level of charitable giving that compares anywhere close to ours. It's estimated that US charitable giving is twice that of the next closet country. There is no other culture that supports volunteering of time and service at the level we do. It began with Benjamin Franklin's public library and volunteer fire fighters.
    Quote Originally Posted by pippi View Post
    Fiver is correct, it is freeing to not have to impress someone, to be accepted for who you really are.