User Tag List

First 2101112131422 Last

MBTI
    enfp

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Who said that any of that stuff is going to stop, or that they want it to? Even the most liberal of the liberals agree that people should congregate here to innovate, research, push boundaries, etc. And an American education won't mean much? What does that even mean?

I'm sorry, nothing personal, maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but that's crazy right-wing paranoia talking if I've ever seen it.
    yeah i think ur saying something that im not saying

i actually used to argue that blue states house most of the US top universities for a reason, but i don't care about that left vs. right stuff anymore.

but technological innovation is being lost in the US. going from Silicon Valley to other countries. london is becoming a new financial capital instead of nyc. US doesn't have the allure of being the ONLY place of top class education and research as it once did. that stuff is worrisome. honestly, i don't care if the founder of apple is an indian, chinese, uzbekistanian, or whatever. as long as its founded and researched in the US and the money is being spent here.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post

One thing a lot of people cite is the idea of valuing the individual, freedom, equality, and democracy, but many of those things are from as far back as Greece or the Enlightenment.
    These phrases are just thrown around by politicians as a means of appeasing everyone who's listening. They are open to interpretations by all people, so they really don't have any tangible meaning. Furthermore, they are particularly inspiring when a black man says them.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Strong empahsis on competition. Some bigotry. Ethnocentrism (although this can be argued, since there are so many different ethnicities). Strong meritocracy. This is what crosses my mind when I think about american culture. I must admit I'm not a big supporter of this approach (although I recognize its merits), thus I'm not trying to give an objective opinion. I'm actually kind of workaholic myself, but I don't like a culture that appreciates this trait - I prefer to enjoy being more laid back when I decide to be.

Btw, we have food delivery here too - mostly pizza, arabic food, and chinese.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    ENFJ

It's strange about American colleges... I didn't even know that until I helped tutor ESL last summer. I said I wanted to look at McGill for college but they were all like "no you go to America for uni."
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    IEE

American Culture, that's an oxymoron if I ever saw one.
    =universal solution

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Silly_Siren View Post
    I take it you think that American Culture is somewhat... generic/bland, at times?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    IEE

I take it you think that American Culture is somewhat... generic/bland, at times?
    Well, to be truthful it was more of a joke. To say American culture is bland when you live in Canada is a bit rich. I mean, there is that vapid consumerism aspect I don't find measures up to Bach and Van Gogh. But 'A" it's a younger country and 'B' there is actually a lot of good American art, literature, music out there.
    =universal solution

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    I wouldn't lump Asians into one category. There is a huge difference between Japanese and Chinese culture. I would say Americans are very polite compared to the Chinese, and rather rude compared to the Japanese.
    Extremely rude in comparison. I think someone mentioned Japan seemed like a nation of INFJs, due to overt politeness and meticulous hygiene.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    No, the American Dream is a destinct concept that anyone, despite their ethnic background or class, can achieve immense wealth and prestige based solely on their work ethic and innovation - and that America is the only country that would allow such success to flourish.
    Nail on the head. Some of these complainers should try living in India.

Eating out of garbage cans as much and as quickly as you can before someone sees you will do that. Poor people are often fat, actually, because they go on a constant cycle between starvation mode and stuffing their face, saving all the energy they can get.
    Poor people are fat because it costs less to eat processed garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by Modern Nomad View Post
    Once that stops, having an American education won't be worth much anymore... which is much scarier than any housing/financial crisis.
    Interesting observation.

All the non-American Chinese people I've encountered, say they come here to purchase their degrees. America to them, is a place where one can buy education.

MBTI
    ENTP

So far, the only uniquely American idea I've found is the idea that we're a "melting pot," and not any kind of single, homogeneous group....
    and isn't shared with Western/European/English civilization as a whole?
    Not unique and not uh, not shared with general Western Europe. UK for example: Saxon, Viking, Celtic, Roman, just about every other European ethnicity has been involved in its making and population (not to mention the contact with "Saracens" during the Crusades and the huge influence it had on philosophy, architecture and other aspects of the culture) and in more recent, modern times, massive influxes of Asians, Caribbeans and Africans, too, which is ongoing. Most British cities (and French too) have whole regions where you can barely find a shop front or passer by that can tell you anything in English. There are those who say that's a bad thing, though I love, embrace and welcome it.

Looking from the outside here, I'd say what stands out to me as being different to Europe is the intensity and ubiquity of the patriotism you got going on over there, first off.

Also, a general ignorance and disinterest in the wherabouts even, let alone the languages and cultures of the non-English speaking world.

And unashamed capitalism - sure it's as rampant as anything else in the UK and perhaps Germany (less so in those countries that have Mediterranean coastline, in my observation), but there's a sense of "filthiness" and guilt about it still that I don't see in American culture, where it's praised and encouraged.

And the idea of never having to get out of your car or actually be outdoors in the open air if you can help it ... heheh... at least that's the impression I get when I visit my sisters in NC!

I'm sorry that I can only think of things that are bad to my mind, off the cuff... I'll come back later if I can think of more positive things... though one positive thing that always leaps to my mind about American culture is Mark Twain - and rock n roll, of course!
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Silly_Siren View Post
    What? You don't like pop culture?
    I think the US has taken pop culture to a new height (and low).
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe