Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    You are thinking of malnourished children having a bloated belly. That's not obesity, that something to do with an accumulation of fluids due to lack of food.
    Starvation fucks up your metabolism. It's a widely known fact.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Starvation fucks up your metabolism. It's a widely known fact.
    Yes, I was just pointing out the difference between an overweight person and a starving person. Those two are not the same thing.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Look, I wasn't born in the US. I immigrated here with my family when I was 12. I also had the opportunity to travel around the world in my adult life, so I had a chance to compare.

As many problems as the US has, in this country the handicaps of one's race and social background are fairly minimal compare to other countries.

You think Europe affords more opportunities? By all means, pursue those opportunities. As far as I am concerned, US offers the most opportunities. That's why I live here. If it didn't, I'd move someplace else.

My only loyalty is to reason.
    I sincerely apologize, Edgar.

I had no idea you weren't born in the US. I thought you were just another one of us speaking from the same level of experience.

I believe that we have more opportunities than Europe because we're a wealthier nation overall, and perhaps have more social programs. I'm not entirely sure we're superior on other grounds, but in those ways? Definitely.

This is going to sound silly, but I wasn't actually comparing the US to other countries so much as to it's own ideals. It just seems that if our goal is the opportunity to thrive, and some people can't get jobs, we're falling short to such a degree that we should starting focus on an ideal like "everyone should have the opportunity for a job and shelter" that we can actually achieve. I mean, focus on fulfilling the people's needs before their wants. But yeah, I guess we're doing fine compared to other nations. Which is rather depressing to imagine, honestly.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post

I had no idea you weren't born in the US. I thought you were just another one of us speaking from the same level of experience.

I believe that we have more opportunities than Europe because we're a wealthier nation overall, and perhaps have more social programs. I'm not entirely sure we're superior on other grounds, but in those ways? Definitely.

This is going to sound silly, but I wasn't actually comparing the US to other countries so much as to it's own ideals. It just seems that if our goal is the opportunity to thrive, and some people can't get jobs, we're falling short to such a degree that we should starting focus on an ideal like "everyone should have the opportunity for a job and shelter" that we can actually achieve. I mean, focus on fulfilling the people's needs before their wants. But yeah, I guess we're doing fine compared to other nations. Which is rather depressing to imagine, honestly.

I dunno. I went to Canada recently. Seems pretty nice to me.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post

Well, I think one of the reasons US is wealthier than other nations is because "we're superior on other grounds", i.e. afford a more tolerant environment for people's talents to thrive.

This is going to sound silly, but I wasn't actually comparing the US to other countries so much as to it's own ideals. It just seems that if our goal is the opportunity to thrive, and some people can't get jobs, we're falling short. But yeah, I guess we're doing fine compared to other nations. Which is rather depressing to imagine, honestly.
    Well there is a saying, "when America sneezes the world gets a cold". So as shitty as the current economic climate is for us, a lot of folks in different countries are absolutely butt fucked.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

MBTI
    INTJ

I dunno. I went to Canada recently. Seems pretty nice to me.
    Well put your money where you mouth is. You have all the opportunities that can be afforded to you. You don't need a visa to go to Canada, and we have NAFTA in place - so if somebody in Canada is interested in your abilities, you are welcome to take advantage of that opportunity.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

You are thinking of malnourished children having a bloated belly. That's not obesity, that something to do with an accumulation of fluids due to lack of food.
    The WHO seem to think it is (obesity), their poster child for obesity is a little Tanzanian boy.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Well put your money where you mouth is. You have all the opportunities that can be afforded to you.
    Actually I've considered it. The jury is still out, but it's a realistic possibility.

You don't need a visa to go to Canada,
    That actually isn't true as of June of this year. Still, I'm in luck, so I digress.

and we have NAFTA in place - so if somebody in Canada is interested in your abilities, you are welcome to take advantage of that opportunity.
    Hey, cool. I have no problem with that. They've got better access to health care and cleaner streets.

Anyway, this thread has gotten way off topic. I still vote that The Jazz Age is uniquely American culture, and I truly love it.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    The WHO seem to think it is (obesity), their poster child for obesity is a little Tanzanian boy.
    No, not really. It doesn't say he is starving. Just that he is a Tanzanian child.

You are working from an assumption that all Tanzanian children are malnourished.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Anyway, this thread has gotten way off topic. I still vote that The Jazz Age is uniquely American culture, and I truly love it.
    Hey, I actually think so, if we're going to do eras.

The 1920's were rather American-flavored in particular... the other ages weren't so much. The Great Depression is about as far from being American as you can get. WWII was even worse, with all the government control. The 50's were too conformist, and the 60's/70's were too rebellious. Everything since then has been either too apathetic, or too mixed up with the world at large. They did have a certain kind of flavor that established the American taste... before that, there really wasn't an American taste I could point to. It seemed to be the starting point of something.