User Tag List

First 123 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 24

  1. #11
    Member brilliantwomble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTp
    Posts
    48

    Default

    I wouldn't say I don't have an opinion. I can a lot times see where others are coming from, but I don't agree. Normally I offer a contrary opinion/idea and see how they react. Normally in a way that makes it sound like I disagree which isn't necessarily the case, but I love to argue so I never come off not opinionated. Hardly. But do I usually have a strong opinion? No. But arguing is just so much fun.

    As for the OP, NFP sounds right to me. I think several types could fall into that though. I would say P before J though. F before T, although it depends on your reasons for understanding others. I could see a T just being detached enough to see others opinions and not really care. I would comment on S versus N, but I am tired of people not really understanding S (myself included) so I will just leave that one be.

  2. #12
    Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    3,377

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chris09 View Post
    Hello,

    You are all going to think I'm some self-centered egomaniac if I keep posting topics about myself! Argh. lol
    So best guess at the moment I'm a sociable INFP. My enagram Type 9 followed by type 2. (How do I write that properly?)
    ---

    Anyway, I've noticed I don't really have opinions or preferences about a lot of things. I am so good at seeing something from different views, that there isn't really anything I would say I 'hate', just things that might work better in a different context or whatever.

    I think it may annoy my friends (the select few there are) a little bit, because they probably think I'm agreeing with them because I want them to like me or whatever. That isn't really the case, It's just that I can see almost straight away their perspective and thus why they like it.

    Sometimes it can get to a point though where I myself forget who I am etc Like a chameleon who forgets what colour his skin actually is. lol Sometimes I catch myself and have to wonder if that is even my own opinion thought or whatever.

    Anyone else experience this? If so, feel free to share your story/whatever, and if you have any suggestions, then those too!

    Thanks,
    Chris
    Welcome to being an NP. I don't have much of an opinion about most things, but I'm more likely to come across as overly contrary rather than overly agreeable. I tend to ask a lot of questions, so that I can understand their side more, and I play devil's advocate sometimes. When it comes down to it though, for most issues both sides have a valid viewpoint and the truth is often somewhere in between.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

  3. #13
    Senior Member compulsiverambler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Posts
    446

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chris09 View Post
    I think it may annoy my friends (the select few there are) a little bit, because they probably think I'm agreeing with them because I want them to like me or whatever. That isn't really the case, It's just that I can see almost straight away their perspective and thus why they like it.
    I do that too, but I usually see internal or external inconsistencies in that perspective instantly as well. Perhaps when considering these things you're using only Ni and Fe effectively. Assuming correct one of the far too many unrelated definitions of Ni - perspective shifting - I'd suggest you're failing to use other cognitive functions to assess those perspectives critically. Fe and Ni are being left to satisfy their narrow mutual interests unchallenged.

    That's the possibility that first came to mind. The next was that you're using many different functions but instead of using them all as appropriate to analyse issues in depth, you're distracted by and caught up on the fact that each approach at its most basic is accessible and feels valid yet each makes you react differently. That looks all the more likely given you're unsure of your preferences.

  4. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    INfP
    Posts
    66

    Default

    The next was that you're using many different functions but instead of using them all as appropriate to analyse issues in depth, you're distracted by and caught up on the fact that each approach at its most basic is accessible and feels valid yet each makes you react differently. That looks all the more likely given you're unsure of your preferences.
    Meaning what exactly? lol

    I guess if I think further about this, the more time I spend with other people, the more this is the case. Then again, perhaps it is just no one is asking me the right questions?
    lol
    I think in social situations that perhaps I'm just quite amicable to other peoples suggestions etc, and I'm happy enough to just follow along and allow them to make decisions. When I'm on my own for any length of time, however, I obviously have to start making my own choices.
    I still don't know if I'm Extro or Intro, but it seems quite possible to me that too much time spent with others could be a little detrimental, and that I may need to allow more time for myself, by myself. (Something I've been getting a scarce amount of lately! And even when I have, I've been preoccupied thinking about other people.)

    Moral of this story?

    ~ I need a nice vacation! lol

    p.s. I just noticed the silliness of this - Why on earth did I think to ask a bunch of strangers who have never met me, to tell me about myself?

  5. #15
    Senior Member compulsiverambler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Posts
    446

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chris09 View Post
    Meaning what exactly? lol
    For example, if you want to decide who you agree with about a piece of art, you might start with Se and think it's ugly, you don't like the colour combinations or the stroke style. Ti might notice how well proportioned all the body parts are and how adeptly perspective has been handled and be appreciative. Si might think the artist lazy for not trying to make it look more realistic and detailed. Ni might find the harsh or clashing colours are perfect for its themes of conflict and disarray, and maybe even wish the proportions weren't consistent for the same reason. Ne might dismiss it if it doesn't speak to some truth or other or raise interesting questions.

    Art is a field in which there are no right or wrong criteria to judge things by, although the more ways in which you can appreciate it, the more you're likely to get out of exhibitions. However I hope it demonstrates how appreciating contradicting perspectives equally might be the result of not having strong preferences yourself, which is not a bad thing, and then not using your functions or other cognitive skills well enough to critically analyse those perspectives for appropriateness. If it bothers you to keep finding yourself unable to decide which perspective on ethical/political issues makes the most sense, it could be that you're not forming an opinion about what is ultimately important to you regarding any given issue because you're skipping from one perspective to the next waiting for the answer to jump out at you. Ask what are the underlying assumptions behind this view and that view, and then keep greeting every answer you come up with with 'why', until no answer is forthcoming. Hope that helps, though this is all just a thoughtful guess afterall.

  6. #16
    Senior Member Scott N Denver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    2,899

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    I can actually identify with a lot of what you have to say. Most times, I don't think a stance is necessary when discussing something, because usually I'm in discussions primarily to learn something new, or gain a greater understanding of the subject, which includes understanding a certain viewpoint. Often, once I can understand why others see things the way they do, I am satisfied.

    To others, this comes off as "indifferent" or "uncaring." Which I suppose is the case. My indifference to nearly everything lately is becoming something I am concerned about.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    Pretty much me too.
    Thirded

  7. #17
    Senior Member Chloe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,204

    Default

    I can totally relate to OP, ... are you maybe ENP type ?
    Because i think it could be common with ENPs, especially if you're too much relying on Ne and not on 2nd function...

    Actually I was thinking about opening thread like this few times, because it feels awkward to be unopinionated, you can come of as dumb etc., but it really is more about seeing to many possible perspectives, and not having judgement on most.

    Also this way is sometimes pretty hard to participate in some debates, because I'm just watching and I'm indifferent, but I like when there's something going on so I'll maybe even say many things I dont think (but are possible) just to make conversation more interesting.

    I also don't have much likes/dislikes, I can not strongly speak on some subject, for real. I have many passions but they are not exclusive about most stuff.


    edit: oh, i've seen now you're infp, well...it is probably common among all NPs, but I think it could be more the case with ENPs. You could be ENFP.

  8. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    INfP
    Posts
    66

    Default

    Chloee,

    I'm a confused puppy who doesn't know his type! :p lol Maybe I am an ENFP. I believe EFNPs can ultimately can be very concerned about other people liking them etc which I am in some situations.

    Let me ask you a quick question: Which one is more concerning for you, what a stranger thinks of you, or what a friend thinks of you?
    For me, it is easy to shrug of what strangers' think about me, but for no good reason, I worry what my close friends think of me sometimes. Close friend/s are incredibly important to me, and I think I may have a bit of a fear about doing something that would ruin a valued friendship, which can make me self-conscious in situations where you'd expect me to be my most relaxed.

    It's not that I don't think I could make new friends, but I'm fiercely loyal to any close friend, so I don't want a new/replacement friend, which puts me in a precarious place mentally I guess. But meh. It's a fear I'll deal with soon enough I guess. lol

  9. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    INfP
    Posts
    66

    Default

    p.s. Yup, just realised I have trust issues... *frown* lol

  10. #20
    Senior Member Saslou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    4,915

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chris09 View Post
    p.s. Yup, just realised I have trust issues... *frown* lol
    Oh bless you.

    We all (ok not everyone) have trust issues.

    It is somehow overcoming that fear .. of something.

    Yeah, i am aware i have not been helpful.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

Similar Threads

  1. Hehe...anyone bored and want to help me?
    By emptyepiphany in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-20-2009, 07:58 AM
  2. [INFP] A question for fellow INFP's (and anyone else who wants to butt in)
    By BerberElla in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 12-05-2008, 12:50 PM
  3. Has anyone read How To Win Friends and Influence People-what are your thoughts?
    By ladypinkington in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 120
    Last Post: 10-29-2008, 03:37 PM
  4. Has anyone heard of Global Dimming and if so what are your thoughts on it??
    By ladypinkington in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 09-16-2007, 06:13 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO