User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by Litvyak View Post
    ^ What a bunch of bullshit...

lol I curse for reasons that have nothing to do with annoyance or anger. I don't revert to my native language.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Ragingkatsuki View Post
    I dunno. I find those who curse much have much less wisdom than those who don't.
    Do you play team sports?
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    ISTx

Cursing is cursing... There's nothing to discuss.

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    Cursing is cursing... There's nothing to discuss.
    Youre talking to Ns who LOVE to discuss about things that dont need discussing, so....

Cursing, as an above poster said, is a verbal form of agression. That is why many people I know hate hearing curse words because its like a moral slap.

When a swear word is said, it is more emphasized than the rest of the sentence, either by tone or 'pressure.'

Even if people are swearing often in a casual way (say, teens among friends) they are using curse words more as a 'love tap' than as an aggressive slap.

I think using curse words from different languages can depend on the 'effectiveness' of the curse. A Finn I talked to preferred the english 'F word' because it was easier and more 'heavy' than the Finnish equivallent.

Lastly, swearing does more for me than saying 'ow' when I hurt myself. I dont cry when I'm hurt, I just swear a lot. Spitting out cursewords feels more like a pressure valve is opening and gives me something to focus on. I also say these differently than when I swear around friends. Around friends its in a more casual tone, but as a 'painkiller' I say them like I was swearing at the pain, attacking it to make it go away.
    'Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and its better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.' - Marilyn Monroe

This is who I am, escapist, paradise-seeker.
    -Nightwish

Anthropology Major out of Hamline University. St. Paul, Minnesota.

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram

I dunno. I find those who curse much have much less wisdom than those who don't.
    Interesting. I've heard that argument before, but it's just not been my experience. *shrug* Perhaps to those who are uncomfortable, it's enough to distract from the wisdom that's present in the speech.

Litvyak-
    I think I think more than you think I think.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Here's another way to put it - a monk goes and trains in the mountains for years. He has gained wisdom, knowledge and understanding of many things. He meditates day and night and he has over thousands of followers and people who look up to him. He is calm and a master of the mind and emotions. A guy goes to him saying, "please, help me, someone stole my money and possessions, what should I do?" The wise monk maintains his posture, looks calmly at the man and says, "shit happens..."

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Here's another way to put it - a monk goes and trains in the mountains for years. He has gained wisdom, knowledge and understanding of many things. He meditates day and night and he has over thousands of followers and people who look up to him. He is calm and a master of the mind and emotions. A guy goes to him saying, "please, help me, someone stole my money and possessions, what should I do?" The wise monk maintains his posture, looks calmly at the man and says, "shit happens..."
    That's actually a pretty effective 2-word summary of teaching non-attachment...

On topic: If I'm in the company of friends that I know don't take offense to cursing, I'll curse if I'm laughing, surprised, energetic, calm, etc. It's not limited to negativity.

It's really just a modifier of quantitative statements, ie:

"Dude, I'm really fuckin' happy today!"

"Dude, I just bought a shit-ton of cool shit from the store!"

"These Blazin Buffalo Doritos are damn good!"

...Alright, now I'm just having fun. See what I mean? Totally positive.
    Function Activity:
    Ni > Te > Ti = Fi > Ne > Si = Fe > Se

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Skyward View Post
    Cursing, as an above poster said, is a verbal form of agression. That is why many people I know hate hearing curse words because its like a moral slap.
    I always wondered why, when people get angry, they use particular taboo words or rant against God/another authority in taboo attitude... and why that does seem to feel better than using other less-severe word (softer gentler language often is just not emotionally satisfying).

The "aggression" angle probably has some validity to it, and those words are about as aggressive socially as you can get.

It also sort of fits in with my natural response when I get hurt suddenly and sharply (like banging my head unexpectedly, hard, on a cabinet door): I want to throw and/or smash something, it's just a physically aggressive response. That doesn't happen a lot, the pain has to be very unexpected and very strong, but it's still a programmed response to that type of pain = danger = must lash out.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?

Uhm... I don't speak german but half the time I curse in it, but I don't think that counts >.>;;

Generally I rarely curse for real anyway, though I have started using 'ass' a bit more commonly instead of 'jerk' because it's just generally more descriptive and stronger in term. "jerk" doesn't have much meaning these days, it doesn't really show how jerkish someone's being sadly, so it had to be replaced.

Otherwise, I have no issues with cursing, I just hate the idea of using curses every single sentance... if yeu do that, then there's nothing to fall back on when yeu really need to. For awhile I tried inventing my own personalized curse words (VIKK has a very similar formation as 'fuck' so yeu can still get that 'feel' of the word without using it) but this idea flopped because it didn't make any sense to anyone but me, which just caused as much stress as it cured.

Anyways, cursing's not bad when it's appropriate. If yeu find out aliens just fried yeur town and yeu're the last one left, and they're pouring gel on something that looks startlingly similar to a stereotypical anal probe... now is a good time to panic, and that panic can be expressed best in this situation via cursing.

It'd be a waste to use it in regular conversation though.