MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    just to focus on this one:

Yes, to talk about a specific individual to others is a big No-No.
    You can lose your license over that.
    I thought so...

The problem with purely religious counselors (who might not even be professional accredited, they might just be laypersons in the church with doctrinal knowledge) in this area is that (1) they aren't under that rule per se if they are not accredited, so there's no direct accountability and (2) spiritual and psychological healing is considered sort of the same, which leads to (3) people who come for "therapy" might still be approached from a religious perspective, and it's common for people to share prayer concerns and talk with others about someone's problems if it is deemed in the best spiritual interest of the person... at least some believers approach it that way. So there is a conflict of interest there, between the private parts of therapy and the communal aspects of religious practice.

This doesn't happen everywhere, I will be clear; I have just seen and heard of it happening.
    Seems like a big conflict of interest to me. Forcing ideology on someone doesn't seem like it is helping them...

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    Seems like a big conflict of interest to me. Forcing ideology on someone doesn't seem like it is helping them...
    Actually, would you go to a religious counselor if you did not already believe the religious concepts the counselor is supporting? No. So there is no forced ideology there; the person is subjecting themselves to it.

There are religious people who are counselors, but that does not make them religiously-affiliated counselors and they act as professional secular counselors despite having their own faith opinions.

People normally don't go to actual "religious counselors" except to submit themselves to the teachings/guidance of someone who is stronger in the faith that they want to be better at. Still, I don't think it's sound to share personal things with other people in more public ways like I have seen happen at times under the guise of "helping."
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Actually, would you go to a religious counselor if you did not already believe the religious concepts the counselor is supporting? No. So there is no forced ideology there; the person is subjecting themselves to it.
    True! Good point, the attendance is voluntary.
    I'm skeptical of organized religion nowadays.
    Those people expect me to sit still for 45 minutes once per week...

MBTI
    yupp

I like my current therapist, I didn't realize how much she was helping me at the time, until I got over a 3.0 in a semester despite failing previous semesters.Not too mention I took classes that required alot of work compared to previous semesters. I mean not all therapists are gonna work I know the ones in the hospital gave me bad advice and tried to turn me into someone I wasn't. So if you find a good one, excellent, but their are many more that probably won't do you much good.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Ugh. I hate most counselors. They are annoying.
    It took like 6 depressing counselors to figure out that I had anxiety. Not ADD, not OCD, not depression, or SAD, or bipolar. Anxiety. (That was a nurse practitioner.)
    I want them to fix me, not ask me all these ridiculous questions.
    Finally I had a happy male (enfj, perhaps?? entj?) give me one helpful session, where he obtained a quick background and the rest of the session was advice, (not a depressed person asking depressing irrelevant questions) and i've never been back since.

I never understood talk therapy. I have friends to talk to, I don't need to pay to talk to someone. I pay for help!! I feel like most of them need help themselves.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    This is probably the last thread I'm going to start, at least for now. Thank you all for your assistance.

Ever since childhood, I have had perplexing conflicts with my counselors, psychologists, and teachers.

This rebellious mindset was probably born when my parents made the decision for me to see a counselor. I thought they were being foolish and hypocritical by not looking at themselves. I knew they were projecting their problems and misfortunes on me, using me as a scapegoat. And as far as I was concerned, it prevented them from maturing and growing out of their depressed rut. Unfortunately, whenever I explained this to them, they shut their ears and refused to listen.

I even had problems in academia because I was incredibly judgmental of my teachers and friends. Despite my success with grades, my teachers would tell me to "stop being spoon fed", to which I retorted, "Then stop spoon feeding me...". I never manipulated them or anything, so I'm sure they just wanted me to fulfill my fullest potential. However, once again, we have this same problem of my authority figures not being able to see my perspective.

Half a year ago, my mother brought me to an academic adviser because she wanted to convince me to go to a particular college. Whenever I explained her motives to her, she refused to acknowledge them.

So, when I started speaking to this counselor, I could immediately tell that he was trying to manipulate me. He was touching on issues about my personality that nobody knows, and that he claimed to have just "picked up" by seeing me twice beforehand. I then realized that my mother must have given him some of my files prior to the appointment.

So, every time he would make an appeal to me, I would subtly object to it in a perfectly convincing way. In the back of my mind, I was laughing hysterically at his confusion and frustration to my responses. Then I asked him if he had taken any Psychology classes in college. He responded positively, and then he knew that I was playing mind games with him the whole 30 minutes we were there.

Meanwhile, my ESFP mother sat there completely oblivious to what was happening.

I'm sure to some of you, I sound like an evil asshole by now.

However, my purpose in making this post was not to illustrate how much of a douche I am. On the contrary, I want to stop this behavior of mine because it is impeding my progress. I want some input from someone else. And, ironically, I want to become a counselor myself.

Even now, I pay a 6 dollar co-pay just to go to a professional psychologist and confuse him.
    Enough about me, more about you.
    Ever try fixing yourself and not relying on help?
    you know yourself best!!
    why must you use a psychologist?

Cause I feel like once most people start to see a psychologist, or a psychiatrist, or a counselor whatever- they end up going for a very very very long time. And some people just enjoy it. But it seems like they can never actually get fixed that way. They are still always messed up and then just feeling mildly better after talking to someone who "cares."

Psychologists like problems.
    I like solutions!!!!

I've been attending some counselling sessions and just thought this would be an appropriate thread to rant in.

ARGH! It's so irritating talking to my university counsellor since the only thing she ever does is gently push me in a specific direction with what I'm talking about. Every time I've asked her opinion on some matter...

"How else can anger be expressed?"
    "What do you think of negative emotions, does it come across as whining?"
    "Is it not right to want people to place more importance on your intentions rather than action"

She'd just deflect the topic matter and ask me to talk about something else. In the end I end up gaining very little from the whole session, since it's essentially talking to myself which I already do so often on paper. Should have figured that it would be similar to the Nightline training that I once did. No guidance or pushing, only listening... =.=

Are all counsellors like this? Or are there ones that will actually give you their opinions on matters if you ask them? If I can't get any feedback, how exactly am I meant to gain alternative perspectives?

/End Rant

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    I've been attending some counselling sessions and just thought this would be an appropriate thread to rant in.

ARGH! It's so irritating talking to my university counsellor since the only thing she ever does is gently push me in a specific direction with what I'm talking about. Every time I've asked her opinion on some matter...

"How else can anger be expressed?"
    "What do you think of negative emotions, does it come across as whining?"
    "Is it not right to want people to place more importance on your intentions rather than action"

She'd just deflect the topic matter and ask me to talk about something else. In the end I end up gaining very little from the whole session, since it's essentially talking to myself which I already do so often on paper. Should have figured that it would be similar to the Nightline services that I once attended. No guidance or pushing, only listening... =.=

Are all counsellors like this? Or are there ones that will actually give you their opinions on matters if you ask them? If I can't get any feedback, how exactly am I meant to gain alternative perspectives?

/End Rant
    Yes. She is doing exactly her job. And that's what I don't like about it.
    You are supposed to guide people to their own conclusions and make them talk it out. They are not supposed to give any advice. (I have to do it for class and write down my conversations a lot and I hate it.)

I agree. Outside perspectives can be good.
    Counselors make me feel as though i'm drowning in my own brain.

Is there any evidence out there that proves that this type of therapy works?? I think that something needs to be changed.

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    Yes. She is doing exactly her job. And that's what I don't like about it.
    You are supposed to guide people to their own conclusions and make them talk it out. They are not supposed to give any advice. (I have to do it for class and write down my conversations a lot and I hate it.)

I agree. Outside perspectives can be good.
    Counselors make me feel as though i'm drowning in my own brain.

Is there any evidence out there that proves that this type of therapy works?? I think that something needs to be changed.
    For people who already spend alot of time thinking about their problems, talking over things once more feels like such a redundant task. Yet at the same time I can understand why this policy has been adopted, the practice training sessions where the client suddenly blew up in my face because I said I understood. Or when there are some situations, where it's truly impossible to give advice.

But seriously... when people ask for opinions. I wish they could use their own judgement to discern whether it's safe to do so. If they don't want to get involved in ethical situations, then fine, they can just say they don't know, but opinions on alternative methods would be really nice. It's sort of put me off this whole counselling business, if that's all they are allowed to do.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    Even now, I pay a 6 dollar co-pay just to go to a professional psychologist and confuse him.
    Wow you have good insurance :P Where do you live, and what insurance do you have? *wants it*
    j'adore les chats