First 23456 Last

MBTI
    INtP

In order of "things I'd not eat" (clearly none of them if I had a choice):

1. Human
    2. Dolphin
    3. Ape
    4. Dog (and cats!)

The "if I was starving" line probably comes in around the ape level... truly starving will do a lot to erase sensibilities, I think. I've always had a (non-culinary ) love for dolphins though - so I'll comfort myself with the idea that in any situation where I was starving, dolphin wouldn't be an option anyway. I mean, I'd likely be drowned/fatally dehydrated before it got to that point, right?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    For those that don't mind eating dolphin, dog, apes, do you have a problem with cannibalism?

What prevents you from cannibalism but does not prevent you from eating other intelligent animals?
    i don't know Quinlan, i think when it comes right down to it, it has to be a feeling of superiority. feeling humans are superior to other animals. i don't know what other justification there can be for eating animals (any kind of animals) but not eating humans.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfisher View Post
    i don't know Quinlan, i think when it comes right down to it, it has to be a feeling of superiority. feeling humans are superior to other animals. i don't know what other justification there can be for eating animals (any kind of animals) but not eating humans.
    I think some (like myself) justify the difference between "stupid" animals and "intelligent" ones as the potential for self awareness, it's "ok" to eat lesser animals as they aren't truly aware of their fate and experience just like plants.

In some ways I think compassion for other species is a side effect of the evolutionary advantage of compassion/reciprocation amongst humans. I think in an evolutionary sense it was only meant to apply to other humans but evolution not being a perfect process there is sometimes a spillover into other species.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

I think some (like myself) justify the difference between "stupid" animals and "intelligent" ones as the potential for self awareness, it's "ok" to eat lesser animals as they aren't truly aware of their fate and experience just like plants.
    that seems like a difficult distinction to make, how can one person/animal decide if another person/animal is self aware? it seems like anyone can only determine their own self awareness.

In some ways I think compassion for other species is a side effect of the evolutionary advantage of compassion/reciprocation amongst humans. I think in an evolutionary sense it was only meant to apply to other humans but evolution not being a perfect process there is sometimes a spillover into other species.
    yes, i agree with that.
    here is a thought - even lesser animals are aware of death and have self-preservation instincts. lesser animals do try to avoid being killed. so can a person eat meat without having a lack of respect for life, on some level? or is eating another species justified?

i tend to think it is justifiable to eat other species, but i do think it does basically dull your respect for life, on some level.

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿ digesthisickness's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

For those that don't mind eating dolphin, dog, apes, do you have a problem with cannibalism?

What prevents you from cannibalism but does not prevent you from eating other intelligent animals?
    my answer doesn't change as far as humans. again, if it's between him and me...

also, if it came to that, i doubt i'd give much of a fuck about taste anyway.
    ✻ღϠ₡ღ✻
    (¯`✻´¯)
    `*.¸.*'ღϠ₡ღஇڿڰۣ
    •.¸¸. Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒჱܓ. இڿڰۣ.¸¸.இڿڰۣ´¯`·.─♥

Cerebral Artery
    http://www.facebook.com/CerebralArtery

Senior Member iamathousandapples's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    ILI

There is no such thing as an intelligent animal, just superior and inferior. The superior animals are living out there right now. The inferior ones are on our dinner tables or in the stomachs of superior animals.

The superior animals have found either a niche to crawl themselves to prevent death or can outwit and outmanuvre its predators from not dying...yet.

Oh yeah, and it's all a culture of villagers, each taking and giving to contribute to the village, and putting consequences on actions that are ultimately bad for the village. It's the same reason you don't go on a rampage and stab your neighbor. Because that would result in bad consequences. I would eat human flesh, if the situation were necessary.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    IEI

I'm a vegetarian so no, hell no.
    And I would only kill an animal if I were starving and needed meat to survive, lol.
    I have no doubt that if people had cows for pets, not many would want to eat them, either.
    "So I say, live and let live. Thats my motto. Live and let live.
    Anyone who cant go along with that, take him outside and shoot the motherfucker."
    - George Carlin

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfisher View Post
    that seems like a difficult distinction to make, how can one person/animal decide if another person/animal is self aware? it seems like anyone can only determine their own self awareness.
    We can only do our best to try and understand through scientific evidence.

yes, i agree with that.
    here is a thought - even lesser animals are aware of death and have self-preservation instincts. lesser animals do try to avoid being killed. so can a person eat meat without having a lack of respect for life, on some level? or is eating another species justified?
    Well on some level they are, as are plants on some level "aware" of where the sunlight is coming from etc. but are they self aware, can a dolphin contemplate it's own impending death?

i tend to think it is justifiable to eat other species, but i do think it does basically dull your respect for life, on some level.
    Eating meat for survival brings new life though, so not sure about that.

I wonder how many of those that cite the intelligence of Dolphins eat pork, as I read that Pigs are also very intelligent. The different justifications are fascinating.

Quinlan's Creations

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Quote Originally Posted by iamathousandapples View Post
    There is no such thing as an intelligent animal, just superior and inferior. The superior animals are living out there right now. The inferior ones are on our dinner tables or in the stomachs of superior animals.

The superior animals have found either a niche to crawl themselves to prevent death or can outwit and outmanuvre its predators from not dying...yet.
    Might is right huh?

Quinlan's Creations

Senior Member iamathousandapples's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    ILI

Might is right huh?
    It's what's kept us alive for 10,000 years. All creatures are equal in Darwin's game, it's just what you can arm yourself to beat the others.