User Tag List

123 Last

Default The Psychology of Group Bullying

To understand what is going on here it is important to read, "Odd Girl Out - The Hidden Culture of Aggression in Girls", by Rachel Simmons.

In it you will find group bullying laid out, from seemingly random personal attacks to attacks by the whole group. And when the victim complains, they are accused of 'venting'.

Male bulling is fairly easy to stop - all you have to do is to stand up to the bully. But if you stand up to group bullying, it only makes it worse.

And this is what I have found here - the more I complain, the worse it gets.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Sounds like an interesting read...in the very least an interesting subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    To understand what is going on here it is important to read, "Odd Girl Out - The Hidden Culture of Aggression in Girls", by Rachel Simmons.

In it you will find group bullying laid out, from seemingly random personal attacks to attacks by the whole group. And when the victim complains, they are accused of 'venting'.

Male bulling is fairly easy to stop - all you have to do is to stand up to the bully. But if you stand up to group bullying, it only makes it worse.

And this is what I have found here - the more I complain, the worse it gets.

If you have an issue with a specific moderator, have some integrity and take it up with her directly.
    Don't start threads like this pretending you are being "bullied."
    In reality you are just pissed off about what a moderator did to your posts.

Quote Originally Posted by spamtar View Post
    Sounds like an interesting read...in the very least an interesting subject.
    Yes, what is most interesting is while male aggression is open and physical, female aggression is hidden.

You might say it is a well kept secret but now the secret is out.

And of course the world is changing. Women for instance are now accepted into the Australian military, and indeed our Commander-in-Chief is a woman. And women are being groomed for combat roles in battle. So it seems anomalous that women still have to keep their aggression hidden.

And indeed when aggression is open it can be controlled and even used for good purposes. And the victims of hidden female bullying are almost all women. So women have the most to gain by being open with their aggression.

But my guess is that it will be a long time before women come out of the shadows, if this site is any indication.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    If you have an issue with a specific moderator, have some integrity and take it up with her directly.
    Don't start threads like this pretending you are being "bullied."
    In reality you are just pissed off about what a moderator did to your posts.
    Hardly, I have spent many years in Men Against Sexism Groups. And I am interested in it from both sides.

I am interested in what sexism does to men and I am interested in what sexism does to women.

And it is time to stop the damage sexism does to women.

And women suffer directly from male sexism and indirectly from female sexism.

We have put male sexism on the table and it is now time to put female group bullying on the table.

And Rachel Simmons in her book, "Odd Girl Out - The Hidden Culture of Aggression in Girls", has set the table.

All you need to do is pick up her book and read it rather than continuing with your ad hominem attacks on me.

Hardly

Man up. Quit playing the victim.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Yes, what is most interesting is while male aggression is open and physical, female aggression is hidden.

You might say it is a well kept secret but now the secret is out.

And of course the world is changing. Women for instance are now accepted into the Australian military, and indeed our Commander-in-Chief is a woman. And women are being groomed for combat roles in battle. So it seems anomalous that women still have to keep their aggression hidden.

And indeed when aggression is open it can be controlled and even used for good purposes. And the victims of hidden female bullying are almost all women. So women have the most to gain by being open with their aggression.

But my guess is that it will be a long time before women come out of the shadows, if this site is any indication.
    [ramble]You know what, I second that notion. It's very hard to catch female bullies because they often have a large sphere of influence and will deny any accusation the target makes against them. So it would be much easier to handle female bullies if they were upfront about things. However, socially, and perhaps a little bit inherently, there is a tendency to keep any aspect of their personality that would "mar them" in the eyes of others hidden. And so most bullying is done where no one will sense it, where no one will suspect anything is wrong, and where the bullies are able to maintain their illusion of power.

I suppose in the past (the "long, long ago, in a galaxy far away" past), this activity might have served to oust the perceived "weaklings" from the group, and whether or not the group's judgement of the target was flawed was irrelevant as basic survival was the primary motivator. However, in our settled, modern society where basic survival needs are taken care of, such judgement is quite relevant as we now have the time, space, and resources to consider each person as an individual.[/ramble]
    "I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference."

Robert Frost

Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    intp

So is the group bullying you here a group of women? I think I remember reading a comment from a mod (excuse me, it was Haight) in some other thread that all the mods hate you. Would you say that many men are now practiced in "female" aggression or is this a strict dichotomy?
    hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.
    — Antoine de Saint-Exupery

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

I've seen people complain about you, which has seemed very un-nice thing to do, considering your personal, interesting and inoffensive posts. (Some of them may have been offensive, which may be OK too, but I haven't seen any).

You wrote beautifully about introverts blossoming if you cherish them, and if it was partly in joke or entirely honest, it was beautiful and thought-inspiring nonetheless.

You do write threads which aren't literal, but rather figurative, or playful with ideas, which seem to work very well for you to inspire discussion. I'm sad to realize that some might mistake that for "trolling" or something like that. In all honesty, that's being small-minded.

You get inordinate amount of complaints for no reason at all but being personal. I'd say it would have to stop - I wish it would. Have strength, Victor.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]