User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    yupp

Default odd phobias

So I want to know the rationale behind some phobias that when told most other people, they give you a weird look.

I have a friend who is terrified of pregnant people, and babies. I asked her why, I mean she brought it up, but she evaded the question. It's one of those fears I don't understand. She works at the gap and asked what if a pregnant person comes in looking for a bra (she works in lingerie) she's like "well I'd send them to, the maternity section" then I'm like what if the pregnant person comes in with a 13 year old daughter? she's like "I'd send the mom off to shop" so then I'm like what if you have to work with a pregnant person? she responded with "I'll tell them I'm allergic to pregnant people" I mean she really hates pregnant people, I know it's gross to think of something growing inside of you. I mean pregnacy isn't contagious, if it was we'd have even more of a problem with population control.

So if anyone of you have really strange fears could you please explain, why in hopes to understand my friend slightly better.
    Last edited by Vasilisa; 09-18-2012 at 04:10 PM. Reason: MERGED
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    ENFJ

My phobia isn't exactly strange but I'm pretty sure it started with falling out of a tree when I was three and getting cut up pretty badly and was only made worse through a combination of my overactive imagination and being forced through watching a lot of biology shows/hearing a lot of disgusting injury stories/on and on and on and on and God please make it stop.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

More human than human MetalWounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    TP
    Enneagram
    9w8

I'm afraid of imagining things that are contextually too small, and moving very quickly, (A fly sized car zipping around) or things that are large and move too slow.

Picturing these things in my head makes me extremely uncomfortable, and somewhat scared.
    I'm doing science and I'm still alive

MBTI
    epyT

Deep-sea anglerfish. The teeth! The horror! The irrationality of it all! Their teeth are so damn big that it prevents them from closing their mouths without stabbing their own brains. Whenever I look at them I can't help but picture a mass of em latching onto my arms, legs, torso, etc. Makes me shiver and gag.

That and Great Cthulhu.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Centipedes. Oh god I hate those things. I literally freeze in fear. I can't recall anything happening to me as a child or something that would cause this but..it's a terrible fear of mine.

Wind Turbines. It's less of a phobia and more of a...they just freak me out to look at them. Maybe if they had a different design. I don't know.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Bear Warp View Post
    That and Great Cthulhu.
    But that's not a phobia in that it's a perfectly rational fear!
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    INFP

My aunt is terrified of balloons. I think it might have something to do with suffocating or something... even miming blowing one up makes her cringe.

I personally am terrified of wolves, but that is perfectly reasonable, and they ARE watching me.
    Where you used to be, there is a hole in the world, which I find myself constantly walking around in the daytime, and falling into at night. I miss you like hell. ~Edna St. Vincent Millay

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

camel crickets

grasshoppers

finding a dead body in the woods

heights

being buried alive

clowns

Edit:

slugs
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

Walking over highway bridges (not in the road, on a sidewalk on a road above the highway). They always feel like they are going to fall over for some reason. (It may be a combination of the bridge flezing from cars under it, the parallax between me and the highway while walking, and my general fear of heights where I can easily see down.)

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I don't like people staring at me for too long.

And sometimes alone in the dark at night, I'll suddenly feel like something is coming after me and I need to get into bed because I'm safe there (or run to a safe place if I'm outside).

And I get nervous if I tell someone too much, it's almost like a panic attack... like I made a horrible mistake and now have no control.

Other than that, it's mostly just the norm... spiders.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft